Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CompassRose
06.06.2012 , 04:38 PM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
First of all, "enough" players aren't going to let their subs run out because of this because they're no worse off than they were before. They're still not playing the old character at all, and if they want to transfer it later and pay for it, they're welcome to do that. But you can't just let everyone who wants to transfer pick where they want to go for free right now because Fatman is where everyone will go, which will completely overtax the server. You'll have all dead servers and one server with a 2 hour queue. Is that what you want? Is that what you think is better for the game? They're much better off controlling the rush and ensuring there are multiple healthy servers. It might not make some people happy, but nothing they do will make everyone happy.

What they're doing is basically an "optional server merge," which is probably the most political thing they could do. It's no different than if there were server merges and his toons on Veela got merged with other servers that weren't Fatman. Exactly the same. But now, he'd be crying that Veela didn't get merged into the Fatman pool.

If he wants his choice of where to go, that's a paid privilege at some point in the future, after the server populations are ironed out through this method.
You're not reading carefully enough, and not getting the point.

It doesn't matter that players didn't start on a particular server on day 1. What matters is that they are there NOW. That they have legacy levels comparable to what they had on their origin servers. In some cases they have exceeded their legacy levels on their origin servers. They will not be adding any more server traffic by transferring toons to their new server.

And I don't claim to know what a large number of people will do, and neither do you. I can only suggest that it could happen, and it is a real danger that Bioware needs to address and quickly, before suspicion becomes reality.
Compass Rose --'Crowd Control'

Spreadsheet Guide to level your crew skill to 400

Sunlessdaysrise
06.06.2012 , 04:39 PM | #502
Quote: Originally Posted by Keiret View Post
You're making it sound as though it's a petty issue, and for some it's not. People who are forced to rename will lose track of a lot of wider friends and acquaintances, that isn't a petty issue in an MMO. If they're attached to the name because it's one they've used in other games and makes them instantly recognisable, they lose their wider gaming identity. Doesnt help that a lot of people put their character names in their signatures on the forums, which opened up another avenue of copycatting. Not everyone is compaining, but this is an inconvenience to a lot of people, especially Guilds concerned about moving as a group, and it's fair for people to voice their concerns.
It is a petty issue in all honesty if people in guilds are worried about being unable to transfer and find their guildmates or even "friends" outside of the guild then perhaps they should communicate outside of this game which is a wonder of the internet by the way. As well they should have planned ahead when they first heard the news of this transfer By communicating with their guildmates and coordinating plans to do so which can easily be done outside of this game if these people are so important to you or anyone . We have known about this for more then a month now and it's pretty sad that everyone is in an uproar over this. Just as in real life friends come and go and unfortunately this is the same case. This solution was in demand and if people don't like what they are doing then too bad. it's important that they do and the way it's being done is just the reality of doing such a massive toon transfer. So either deal with what you demanded to happen or don't it doesn't matter this game will continue on.

HelinCarnate
06.06.2012 , 04:39 PM | #503
So your guild is all going to leave your current dead server and all go to the new high-population destination server that's designated for you, and you get to stay together which is what you all want. So what the heck is your problem? You'll still all be together. You'll still all be able to be a guild and do together all the things you already do.

Sounds like to me you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
There is no guarantee that they will end up on the same server.
Sounds to me like you don't know what you are talking about.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

jwmourglea
06.06.2012 , 04:39 PM | #504
All of my characters are on one low pop server. Can I move my entire stable in one go or do I have to file 8 individual character transfer requests?

YanksfanJP
06.06.2012 , 04:40 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatebomb View Post
Make it so you can't transfer to Fatman or JC UNLESS you are already established there i.e. a level 50 or legacy level whatever. It won't really increase the population since the person is already there and doesn't shaft folks who quite frankly the only reason they are still playing is becuase they want to bring thier old chars to thier new home.

Another poster said it but I'll repeat it. If I rerolled from a dead server to Fatman and then they allow transfers from the old server to a server other than Fatman what's the point? I am not gonna leave Fatman since I've already made a new home there. Not to mention the uncertainty of the destination servers being much better then the old dead servers are now.
And you'll have the opportunity to do exactly that at a later time, for a fee, just like other games.

What you and the dude above don't seem to understand is that this consolidation is ONLY meant to fix population issues, not to enable you to go to wherever you want to go. The "choice" you want is a later step, that, not surprisingly, comes later.
I'm not arrogant. I'm just aware of my greatness.

Kindara
06.06.2012 , 04:40 PM | #506
Renaming complaints is kinda petty...come up with some new name ideas you atleast get to keep all the important things about your character...and atleast you might even get to move. Some of us are getting the shaft by this dick move by Bioware.

YanksfanJP
06.06.2012 , 04:41 PM | #507
Quote: Originally Posted by HelinCarnate View Post
There is no guarantee that they will end up on the same server.
Sounds to me like you don't know what you are talking about.
Yeah, there is a guarantee, since each group of origin servers will only have one destination server. There's nowhere else they can end up as long as they don't procrastinate. Sounds to me like you don't know what you are talking about.

Egalatae
06.06.2012 , 04:42 PM | #508
So your guild is all going to leave your current dead server and all go to the new high-population destination server that's designated for you, and you get to stay together which is what you all want. So what the heck is your problem? You'll still all be together. You'll still all be able to be a guild and do together all the things you already do.

Sounds like to me you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
You're not getting it are you?

Why, when they dumped our entire guild on the same server on the same day on release, can they not dump our entire guild, roughly within the same week on a new server?
Why, when this is a BW mess, do players have to clean it up off their own effort and initiative, by finding each other again?
By at least moving the GM and/or officers together, they can make some attempt to move the guild bank with them, and keep everything together and fairly streamlined.

Their process just makes things alot less efficient.
And its added bol**x to deal with when quite frankly, many of us have already had enough.

Is it too much to ask for some customer service to go with your product?
Egalatae 50 Sage - Mesunas 50 Shadow - Klly 25 Sent - Lenya 22 Guard - Jaza'lynn 33 Scoundrel - Zoy 26 Slinger - Ashardis 22 Van Absolute Craft Wh**e
The Legacy of Aotearoa: Nightmare Lands

YanksfanJP
06.06.2012 , 04:42 PM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindara View Post
Renaming complaints is kinda petty...come up with some new name ideas you atleast get to keep all the important things about your character...and atleast you might even get to move. Some of us are getting the shaft by this dick move by Bioware.
Nobody's getting the shaft. If you want to move to a higher pop, you can. If you want to stay on a ghost town server, you can. You're only better off than you were, not worse.

Vicrodhe
06.06.2012 , 04:43 PM | #510
Well I suppose it's a start.