Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rogoo
06.06.2012 , 03:39 PM | #421
I really, really hope that they will allow RP-PVP -> PVP transfers.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Leovinus
06.06.2012 , 03:39 PM | #422
Quote: Originally Posted by NSStember View Post
I have a feeling they will stick to regions. I know when my original server, Darth Bandon, began to die, a number of us re-rolled on Lord Adraas and I'm hoping Lord Adraas (a fairly decent pop server) will be a destination server for all the east coast non pvpers. Will have to wait for the list to see
Frankly, I'm also hoping that my server is a destination, and I think it's a semi-decent possibility, since it was one of the last to go into perpetual "light", so it's probably got one of the better populations of the lights.

I don't much appreciate that they're doing transfers first and the destinations automatically get priority on names. There should be a period during the initial transfer where some method of prioritization is made based on a "seniority" of sorts, after which, then destination gets automatic priority. Just because you rolled a lucky choice, your 1 month old character with 2 hours of playtime gets priority over my character rolled day T-4 with 400 hours played?

Tomb-Stone
06.06.2012 , 03:40 PM | #423
Although the transfers are indeed good news, it is disappointing that many players will lose their character and legacy names. I had hoped that BW would find a way around this fiasco, but it seems that they are just like any other MMO company when it comes handling server merge issues.
Tomb-Stone
Common Sense Is Like Deodorant. The People Who Need It The Most Never Use It...

Kindara
06.06.2012 , 03:41 PM | #424
Quote: Originally Posted by Leovinus View Post
Frankly, I'm also hoping that my server is a destination, and I think it's a semi-decent possibility, since it was one of the last to go into perpetual "light", so it's probably got one of the better populations of the lights.

I don't much appreciate that they're doing transfers first and the destinations automatically get priority on names. There should be a period during the initial transfer where some method of prioritization is made based on a "seniority" of sorts, after which, then destination gets automatic priority. Just because you rolled a lucky choice, your 1 month old character with 2 hours of playtime gets priority over my character rolled day T-4 with 400 hours played?
No game has ever put senority in place when it comes to names. It'd be an extremely huge PR nightmare...the rage alone from those screwed over because some people moved onto their servers would be massive. JUst plan on changes to your names to something that'd make you happy. That is if your Destination server is one you are happy to go to...I hav ea feeling i'm about to get F'd in the A.

Blondesolid
06.06.2012 , 03:41 PM | #425
Quote: Originally Posted by Leovinus View Post
Just because you rolled a lucky choice, your 1 month old character with 2 hours of playtime gets priority over my character rolled day T-4 with 400 hours played?
I don't like it much either, but I'm pretty sure they are paying the same kind of money you are

Antissa
06.06.2012 , 03:41 PM | #426
Will I ever be able to move a character from a US server into my legacy on a EU server?

ZarathustraEck
06.06.2012 , 03:42 PM | #427
Some people will never be happy.

This is a welcome change, and should be the #1 priority to ensure the longevity of the game. All the quality-of-life changes in the world won't help if there are only 3 people in the Fleet.

Darzil
06.06.2012 , 03:43 PM | #428
Ok, so I guess the level of Guild planning will be :

We might get a chance to go to another server at some point soon, if so, take it so we have more people to play with.

Clearly Bioware will be respecting server types (imagine the complaints if we got moved from PvE to PvP or visa versa), there is no other reasonable option.

I guess the one thing Bioware cannot currently account for is how many people might come back for the move, which may significantly skew the numbers. It'll be interesting, lack of numbers on any given planet seems to be the biggest issue of the game to me.

The loss of names etc is a big deal, but it could add months of time re-writing the game to have a different uniqueness (Name + Surname, maybe), and recoding everything to use it. Months during which servers are dead and players are leaving. This is the lesser of two evils for me.

bawker
06.06.2012 , 03:44 PM | #429
Quote: Originally Posted by ZarathustraEck View Post
Some people will never be happy.

This is a welcome change, and should be the #1 priority to ensure the longevity of the game. All the quality-of-life changes in the world won't help if there are only 3 people in the Fleet.
Agreed.

I just want all my characters in one place that I re-rolled to.

Apparently, I'll have to pay to do so later on. . . .hopefully there's a discount.

Sauska
06.06.2012 , 03:44 PM | #430
Even though I care deeply about my char and legacy names, I'm perfectly happy to change them if I can just play on a populated server!
The Borealis Legacy