Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

noodlenoodle
06.06.2012 , 03:11 PM | #381
It's OK guys, just use your in-game guild communication tools to co-ordinate moves. Or the official forums here for your server.

Oh, wait.

I can't wait to play Russian roulette with my legacy & character names as I move off the now-dead server BioWare initially placed me & my guild on during day 1 of early access while lacking any tools to manage populations once we got there. Maybe I'll just stay un-subscribed and put the money aside for a proper, paid. transfer.

DiLune
06.06.2012 , 03:11 PM | #382
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Why not? What harm does it cause? A little extra data?!
Some people won't be able to continue playing Anikin Skiewalker or Mastter Yodaa if someone else gets to the server to swipe the cheese before they can. (I know its more likely Tyrion or Bran or Katniss or some other literary rip-off name.)

tloops
06.06.2012 , 03:12 PM | #383
Quote: Originally Posted by danskyboy View Post
So what the hell am i supposed to do if i have characters on several servers??? i wont be able to bring them all together on one???
lol re-rolling wasnt such a good idea now ,was it?
TOR...the best single player game on the market

Menthro
06.06.2012 , 03:13 PM | #384
Right now, I am just waiting to see if BW looks at this thread and say, okay **** it. We are taking each character and sending them to a random server. I mean there are some legitimate concerns but at the same time there are some really petty ones as well.
Peace through firepower. Lots of firepower.

Troopers lead the way!

Qronus
06.06.2012 , 03:13 PM | #385
Quote: Originally Posted by tloops View Post
lol re-rolling wasnt such a good idea now ,was it?
Ironically, if the hundreds of people from Mandalore the Indomitable had stayed put instead of re-rolling on The Fatman, queues would have been fine. I'm sure the same can be said for other servers as well.

Sparklehorse
06.06.2012 , 03:14 PM | #386
Thank you sincerely for this information. It is very much appreciated.
Stop exploding you cowards!

misskaly
06.06.2012 , 03:15 PM | #387
I can't help but feel like this is being made way more complicated than it needs to be.

Instead of trying to figure out metrics and forecast the number of transfers to a server in order to make it viable - and then watching, adjusting the number of origin servers, etc.,... why don't you just open a group of five or six servers and allow open transfers to the community as a whole?

This would allow people to make their decisions about what type of server they want to move to, what region, etc., and will allow them to put all their characters on one server, put them on all servers - or whatever else the player wants to do. Upside? Bioware doesn't need to do lots of extra work tracking trends and trying to make predictive analyses. The players get to move to the server types/locations/amounts that they wish. Hell, charge 5 dollars a character for this initial phase as a way of saying "Thanks for sticking around while we try to fix some huge issues!", and then raise the price to $10, $15, whatever.

Cons? Less work for the community relations department to do, which leads to layoffs due to overstaffing? Iunno. They could figure out other projects, though. :-D

Bluesnacks
06.06.2012 , 03:15 PM | #388
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
They can't tell you all the servers that will be transfer TO servers yet because they're going to be TRYING to equalize populations. If they move 6 servers to one, but only half the characters move, they may need to add a 7th or 8th to that list. I understand the variables they're trying to work with, but I think the top 3 servers (PvE and PvP) are pretty much set. THAT list I'd like to calm some nerves.
Yes, but that still has very little if anything at all to do with the community. That's raw numbers output that is solved with mathematics. People crying on the forums will give them very little data beyond "most people think this sucks" or "most people agree," which is only slightly useful.

They could have announced server transfers for three weeks from now and provided a list a week ahead of time, but chose rather to immediately scramble everything. If you consider the logic behind this, it makes little sense to a game that is bleeding subscriptions already unless they are also considering opening completely new servers for transfer and just taking ALL of the old characters off old servers to put on the new servers, therefore becoming a salvation to people that are worried about guild names, legacy names and character names (while allowing people that are on vacation or gone to be on the server as well) while using a generally simplistic approach. Anything less than that is a very risky business move that could cost them more money than they would like. Judging by the lack of information they are releasing, I would think that this is an option they are heavily weighing.
Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

MonsAlpha
06.06.2012 , 03:15 PM | #389
Does this mean that some "origin" servers will also be "destination" servers? Or are completely new servers being opened in order to accommodate the character transfers?
Kalena
<LF Love in Alderaan Places>

Luceon
06.06.2012 , 03:16 PM | #390
Quote: Originally Posted by Qronus View Post
Ironically, if the hundreds of people from Mandalore the Indomitable had stayed put instead of re-rolling on The Fatman, queues would have been fine. I'm sure the same can be said for other servers as well.
That may be so but something kick started the interest of leaving the underpopulated server. My vote goes to the bracketed 50 pvp. I know that is what started the decline in my first server (now on my third, awesome -.-).
Maybe I don't want a signature....