Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Wanchope
06.06.2012 , 03:05 PM | #371
Quote: Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
Probably better that you DON'T reveal the list too early anyway. Human nature being what it is, everyone targeted to a particular server will roll placeholder characters to reserve their names, and players would most likely get one character through Act 1 to reserve their legacy surname.

You'd see quite a drastic jump in server activity. I can just see it.....
Bingo, way to use the old noggin.

skepticck
06.06.2012 , 03:05 PM | #372
i have 2 questions about these transfers:

1- i have 4 chars in a legacy on server A, are all of them transferred in one transfer or do i have to transfer them individually ?

2- Are the free transfers a one time deal for each char ? what i mean is if i transfer from server A to server B and i find out that even after this server B is still underpopulated, can i transfer again or will have to wait for paid transfers ?

This for me makes it like a gamble, will i transfer to server B in the hopes that once transfers are done it will have a good population or do i stay on my origin server and hope that a more populated destination server will come later.
My origin server is very underpopulated at the moment so i can only imagine it will be a ghost-town once transfers are complete, so why would i stay, they give you the option to not transfer to the destination server but it is not an option at all, you have to transfer or else you will be playing on an even emptier server.

I can't help to think that this is a very bad way to do this.

MasterFeign
06.06.2012 , 03:05 PM | #373
I wonder if there's going to be a means of advertising one's server, (not including the server forums). Cause I'd encourage people to go to the server I am on.

Or what I'm trying to say is that once a list comes up, if people who want to transfer can check out the server forums and decide from that.

This, to also avoid a mass exodus of people from leaving the server I am on, like that they'll see an active recruiting effort and if successful will decide not to leave.

Kthx
06.06.2012 , 03:05 PM | #374
Quote: Originally Posted by Tholena View Post
I just hope details will come up soon. I have chars on two servers are really want to merge them together!
The chances of that happening are slim, at least until paid transfers are coming where you can pick your destination server.

Jederix
06.06.2012 , 03:06 PM | #375
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
Forcing players to change servers and rename their characters just because you want them to doesn't sound like the greatest business move in history, does it?
He's not interested in logic. He just wants Bioware to take care of everything for him. With mergers, that is what happens, with transfers, he actually has to do something.

Unacceptable, he says. You will get no mergers, Kilo. Take that as it is, or hit the road.
Internet Forums. Where Grammar and Spelling go to die!

TUXs
06.06.2012 , 03:06 PM | #376
Quote: Originally Posted by Qronus View Post
I for one don't want a list posted in advance, because then I feel players will need to create level 1 characters on the destination server in order to save names. That would not be good.
Why not? What harm does it cause? A little extra data?!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

cursalv
06.06.2012 , 03:09 PM | #377
I have already moved to another server to play started a new toon leveled it and joined a guild I like because my old server is all but dead and guild has almost diappered. Why since I can only play one toon at a time wouldn't you let me transfer toon to my current server . Yes i play on a high populated server but I can play but one at a time. I understand if I wanted to move here and didn't have toons here already. Please think about this type situation and allowing transfers to high population server based on the above criteria. Thank You

tloops
06.06.2012 , 03:09 PM | #378
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueSkittles View Post
Here is some info that I am now scared to post:

Before server transfers:
200 dead servers.
2 semi-full servers.

After server transfers:
180 completely dead servers.
20 mostly dead servers.
2 semi-full servers.
they will close all of those dead servers...and the rest will be filled as much as they can
TOR...the best single player game on the market

Qronus
06.06.2012 , 03:09 PM | #379
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Why not? What harm does it cause? A little extra data?!
From what I understand, there will only be ONE destination server for you to choose from (assuming your server is one targeted for transfer). Why would you need the name of the destination server in advance? All that causes is people scrambling to create level 1's in order to save character names. This in turn bumps server population and activity in the interim, giving BW false data concerning destination server activity.

tloops
06.06.2012 , 03:10 PM | #380
Quote: Originally Posted by psi_overtake View Post
How is moving toons from 10 servers to 1 new server going to make that 1 new server "mostly dead?" Which, by the way, are numbers without evidence to support them.
i agree..people will complain just to complain. i believe the servers that will be left will be quite full
TOR...the best single player game on the market