Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dansu
06.06.2012 , 02:39 PM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by Magnesium View Post
So best of luck getting a decent server choice or stick in your low population server?

#wherearethegooddevsat
You'll probably get more choice later. The initial mass movement has to be managed so people don't end up moving randomly and 'breaking' servers that are OK right now.

metalgearyoda
06.06.2012 , 02:40 PM | #312
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
In a previous Community Q&A we talked about character transfers, and announced that they were coming in early summer. Character transfers are a complex process, but we're almost ready to go. Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers in order to provide a better gameplay experience for our players by ensuring population balance across the service.

Read More
Not... super happy about it being limited.

I really hope my 3 50s can join my 40,32,27 and 20 on my new server... I really would like that a lot.

I would pay 75 dollars to ensure it, in fact.

Really hope I am not going to be skrewed the next few weeks.
Ganking leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to pvp.
The Swtor forum attracts trolls because the forums are more fun than raiding dragon soul.
Complaining is the new meta game.

cipher_nemo
06.06.2012 , 02:40 PM | #313
Quote: Originally Posted by Magnesium View Post
So best of luck getting a decent server choice or stick in your low population server?

#wherearethegooddevsat
QFT.

Limiting move, no real options for the move, so Bioware, WTHeck do you think people will opt for? Moving to a server with an unknown population size and risking legacy/character renames and guild not completely transferred, -or- staying put and not worrying about this cr@p?

In short, this still isn't solving anything. This is just adding more confusion and chaos to an already strained community with already strained subscription numbers.

Svarteryttaren
06.06.2012 , 02:40 PM | #314
Quote: Originally Posted by AntTHFD View Post
Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.
+1
You are destroying guilds Bioware by doing it this way. This will be talked about in retrospect as a "nail in the SWTOR coffin" if you dont think about it and do something for guilds. How is guilds going to be able to shoose as a group of players what server to go to when one isnt even sure of the option in advance as a single individual?
BW: Plz add PvP that is storybaced so that it effects
the somehow or some objective based PvP > 8 vs 8

Anzel
06.06.2012 , 02:40 PM | #315
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
OK, I see one big, big problem. Let me quote the article:

"We're sure many of you are interested to learn which servers are eligible for outgoing transfers and which servers are eligible to receive transfers. However, because the process will be gradual, we cannot provide that information in advance. Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process. We don't want to promise a destination in case it may change."

What I interpret this to mean, is there's no guarantee my guildmates will end up transfered to the same server as me (I'm the GM of a guild on Kinrath Spider)

I'd love to get clarification on this
^^^ This. I'll be really upset if me and my wife end up on different servers. We have two accounts for the kids as well.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

skepticck
06.06.2012 , 02:40 PM | #316
Quote: Originally Posted by MisterVertigo View Post
If all characters from an origin server are going to move to the same server if they request a transfer, would it not make more sense to just merge those two servers together, or just transfer everyone off the origin server onto the destination? Then you don't have to worry about guildies getting left behind. More than likely after the transfers the origin server is going to be a ghost town so you may as well just move everybody.
pretty much what i was thinking, this is just merging servers without actually using the words "server merges" that apparently are taboo for BW/EA or we could call it "a complicated way to do a simple thing" .

TUXs
06.06.2012 , 02:41 PM | #317
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Many guild leaders have contacted us with their concerns about coordinating their guild members in preparation for the free character transfer service and I wanted to take some time to explain how this process will work.

In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.
Why not just set up our guilds AHEAD of time, like you did post launch? You already have a system in place to make this easier on us Joveth...why not use it?!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Dezzi
06.06.2012 , 02:41 PM | #318
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Why not just set up our guilds AHEAD of time, like you did post launch? You already have a system in place to make this easier on us Joveth...why not use it?!
+1

That sounds like a fantastic solution to the problem.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

psi_overtake
06.06.2012 , 02:42 PM | #319
Quote: Originally Posted by Svarteryttaren View Post
+1
You are destroying guilds Bioware by doing it this way. This will be talked about in retrospect as a "nail in the SWTOR coffin" if you dont think about it and do something for guilds. How is guilds going to be able to shoose as a group of players what server to go to when one isnt even sure of the option in advance as a single individual?
Would you rather do it this way or wait another few weeks for this to get resolved?

I prefer it this way.
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

Phill
06.06.2012 , 02:42 PM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by Elgann View Post
Just read all 16 pages and didn't get a solid answer for the following:

I'm a bit confused by this.

I have a level 31 legacy on my original server, with a name I don't care for anymore.
I have a new, level 2 legacy on my current server, with a name I enjoy.
I would like to transfer my original characters over, while keeping my *new* legacy name, with the 31 levels of experience from my *old* legacy.

Could you please address this concern?
From my understanding, you are dealing with three different servers. Your old server has level 31 legacy, your current server has level 2 legacy and the transfer server has nothing. Regardless, per BW the highest level legacy trumps any low level legacy. However, there is a slight chance when you pull over your level 31 that the name is already taken on the new server and you will be told to rename your legacy..
"General, surely there must be SOMEBODY left who needs some killing, or some killing done for them."......."Sorry, Major. There's nobody left. You've killed them all. "