Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bawker
06.06.2012 , 02:35 PM | #301
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
This is correct.
Prepare for a lot of disappointed "re-rollers", then. . .who had to do so to make up for the ghost towns that existed on their previous home.

Very disappointing.

MisterVertigo
06.06.2012 , 02:36 PM | #302
If all characters from an origin server are going to move to the same server if they request a transfer, would it not make more sense to just merge those two servers together, or just transfer everyone off the origin server onto the destination? Then you don't have to worry about guildies getting left behind. More than likely after the transfers the origin server is going to be a ghost town so you may as well just move everybody.
Othi - Obscuri Lateris Guild
501st Legion Member - TK-5107

Magnesium
06.06.2012 , 02:36 PM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
You are not required to move when transfers become available; it's your choice if you'd like to stay on your server.
So best of luck getting a decent server choice or stick in your low population server?

#wherearethegooddevsat

Aquatium Only in Light can a Shadow exist
Maelstrom
Recruitment Video | Website | Forums | YouTube Channel | Recruitment Post

Dansu
06.06.2012 , 02:37 PM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
agreed. i was hoping that they woud,l open all new servers to populate and have a fair system for guild names, character names and legacy names.

if we get to choose from a list of destination servers, then we will prolly be stuck with low pop servers, sicne we can prolly put us east on one server and be okay (yes i think that many people have left) etc.
it woujld be nice to be able to check for a server that doesnt have an active character with your name on it so u can keep your name (since you are paying and they are not). this is certainkly true of legacy and guild names as well.

i know nothing is perfect or fair, but you dont need to be a programmer to design a system to implement, and unfortunatly, they were prolly thinking of how to make this easy to code as opposed to how to not screw over soem of their most loyal players.
At first they are slowing the process by forcing a 1 to 1 option. This way things don't get out of control. Once that all shakes out they will probably open it up more because the volume of 'ship jumpers' to new servers will have been eased by the initial departure/migration.

Inzuher
06.06.2012 , 02:37 PM | #305
Hmm so will one only be able to move from a RP server to another RP server, or will one be able to pick a PVE or PVP if one feels more like it? Because personally I'll like changing to a PVE server, but is corrently playing a RP.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

SanctifierX
06.06.2012 , 02:37 PM | #306
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
In a previous Community Q&A we talked about character transfers, and announced that they were coming in early summer. Character transfers are a complex process, but we're almost ready to go. Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers in order to provide a better gameplay experience for our players by ensuring population balance across the service.

Read More
I have a few questions, this will have to do with the free transfer and also paid service:

1. It's about the legacy, I for one have created a lot of alts and have about 3 50s. I have a lot of unlocks. Does my main 50 that I created the legacy name with, need to be the first character transferred over?

2. Will there be a legacy transfer for option available? Transfer all characters on the server that is tied into your family tree? Instead of doing it one by one, for a nominal fee.

psi_overtake
06.06.2012 , 02:38 PM | #307
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
That doesn't address A LOT of the questions and concerns that were shared throughout this thread.

What about duplicate guild names?
Guild names, guild banks, guild ranks, guild permissions, will all that be transferred in tact?
What about duplicate legacy and character names? Who gets to keep what?
And can we get a run-down of what legacies/characters in our guild will be forced to rename if we opt to move?
What about pre-launch servers who were here first? Are they destination servers? If not, why?
What about guild members who have characters on other servers, waiting to be transferred to our server?
All of the people who rolled another character on another server because of the low pop issue, what do they do?
Will we have any idea of projected server pop size and the differences of staying put vs. moving?
IOW, will this just be from one low pop server to a slightly bigger, but still low pop server?
What about solving the low server pop problem by thinking outside the paradigm?
What about a cross-server LFG tool for instanced content, including ops, flashpoints, and even PvP?

Honestly, this just feels like another bandaid attempting to cover a wound that's been hemorrhaging subscribers ever since 1.1.4, 1.1.5, and 1.2.
Need to repick if you transfer there
You need to contact a CSR for that
Need to repick if you transfer there
Not sure
Probably treated like any other server. And not sure
Get lucky or wait for paid
You can check that out yourself
Not sure, but doubtful
What?
No

There you go!
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

bawker
06.06.2012 , 02:38 PM | #308
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
Hmm so will one only be able to move from a RP server to another RP server, or will one be able to pick a PVE or PVP if one feels more like it? Because personally I'll like changing to a PVE server, but is corrently playing a RP.
You don't get a choice of where to go . . .your "destination" server will be pre-ordained by BioWare, apparently.

thewatcheruatu
06.06.2012 , 02:38 PM | #309
Quote: Originally Posted by MisterVertigo View Post
If all characters from an origin server are going to move to the same server if they request a transfer, would it not make more sense to just merge those two servers together, or just transfer everyone off the origin server onto the destination? Then you don't have to worry about guildies getting left behind. More than likely after the transfers the origin server is going to be a ghost town so you may as well just move everybody.
That would be logical. I'm not really sure what the benefit is to BioWare to allowing people to stay on ghost town servers that are eventually going to have to be closed down anyway. Seems they should just get the merging over with right now and keep it simple for people.
Project Broken Compass | Hapan Delegation

Dezzi
06.06.2012 , 02:38 PM | #310
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
This is correct for the free character transfer service.
I can't help but feel like it was an extremely myopic decision to remove players' choice from the matter; it negates their ability to pair up with friends who might be on a different server from the one chosen by the team, as well as ruins whatever plans they may have had to, say, join a different guild on another server.

I can understand being afraid of a run on the big-name servers, but this whole process seems incredibly forced and constrictive.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.