Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RAZIM
06.19.2012 , 11:41 AM | #2741
Quote: Originally Posted by Syart View Post
Deleting chars is like having to have a beloved pet put down
Noo Yoda nooo :'(

Urael
06.19.2012 , 12:26 PM | #2742
Well it's all over ....

... my transfers that is.

I was not very "pleased" at the beginning of this process. But, I have to say that 2 of our community helped make the transition process easer to take. So that said:

BW Community Mods if you ever EVER open VIP status to players/readers of these forums, I suggest:

JeramieCrowe for is cool headed and sage advice.

-and-

Scorpienne for her attempt to give the community an idea of actual server population numbers and accurately determining destination servers based on trends.

Both of these fellow players helped manage my expectations during this transition.

All in all I only had to delete 1 character, only lost 1 legacy name (but got my second choice), only had to rename 3 characters, AND actually gained a mid level character to my main legacy.

Thanks again and sorry for all the rage and grief, mia culpa.

KriimIanga
06.19.2012 , 12:46 PM | #2743
Perhaps my concern is groundless, but I couldn't help but notice that fully 188 servers (at least, by my count) have been flagged as origin servers for these transfers/mergers. Presumably, these servers will be shut down if they are emptied.

This is out of a list of 217 servers.

Are 217 servers becoming 29? Have subscription numbers really fallen this low? I want to see TOR thrive, but this kind of news spooks me a little and makes me fear for the future of this game.

EDIT: the good news is that this means my Republic characters are now all the on the same server, and can thus all be part of the same legacy. That makes me happy. I can also show off my Jedi characters to my friend who had originally only seen my Smuggler.
The Jedi Order

Not right all the time, but often enough, and always well-meaning.

MadBernieSkills
06.19.2012 , 12:51 PM | #2744
Sorry if this has already been done, but I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate all of our desires for the character transfers in one place so the developers could see them all. I know they want all of the discussion in one thread so Iím not making a new thread. Here are some of the things I feel should be considered. I am not taking credit for any of these ideas. Please add to the list and keep it going. This is not a place to argue about what is on the list, but to make the list as comprehensive as possible.

1) Allow players to consolidate their characters to one server (for free). Too many people, myself included felt it necessary to reroll on a different server for whatever reason. Now that we are forced (sort of) to move again, it would be nice to have them all in one place. This should not affect populations since you can only play one character at a time.
2) Allow people with 2 sets of characters totaling more than 8 have 2 destination servers. Another option would be to allow more than 8 characters on the server. Or better yet, have both of these. Itís a shame that people with a lot of alts will lose them.
3) Give naming priority to those players who created their character first. Too many players are losing their names due to the transfer. It isnít really fair to lose your name just because you did not start on a destination server. Same would be true for Legacy names.
4) Make guild moves easier. How about they just move with the guild master. It might be too late for this.

KaptNemo
06.19.2012 , 01:14 PM | #2745
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBernieSkills View Post
1) Allow players to consolidate their characters to one server (for free). Too many people, myself included felt it necessary to reroll on a different server for whatever reason. Now that we are forced (sort of) to move again, it would be nice to have them all in one place. This should not affect populations since you can only play one character at a time.
2) Allow people with 2 sets of characters totaling more than 8 have 2 destination servers. Another option would be to allow more than 8 characters on the server. Or better yet, have both of these. Itís a shame that people with a lot of alts will lose them.
3) Give naming priority to those players who created their character first. Too many players are losing their names due to the transfer. It isnít really fair to lose your name just because you did not start on a destination server. Same would be true for Legacy names.
4) Make guild moves easier. How about they just move with the guild master. It might be too late for this.

This is about the only way that I'll renew my sub...

Avernix
06.19.2012 , 01:16 PM | #2746
Quote: Originally Posted by jersyiii View Post
good choice
this way u want get massive queues on allready 'heavy" servers
i'm looking forward to see the servers which are allowed
actually harbinger had a 300 person queue last night and a 30min wait to get online...

JeramieCrowe
06.19.2012 , 04:12 PM | #2747
Quote: Originally Posted by KriimIanga View Post
Perhaps my concern is groundless, but I couldn't help but notice that fully 188 servers (at least, by my count) have been flagged as origin servers for these transfers/mergers. Presumably, these servers will be shut down if they are emptied.

This is out of a list of 217 servers.

Are 217 servers becoming 29? Have subscription numbers really fallen this low? I want to see TOR thrive, but this kind of news spooks me a little and makes me fear for the future of this game.

EDIT: the good news is that this means my Republic characters are now all the on the same server, and can thus all be part of the same legacy. That makes me happy. I can also show off my Jedi characters to my friend who had originally only seen my Smuggler.
Not necessarily. The servers seem to be handling a much higher population than they did at launch.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

JeramieCrowe
06.19.2012 , 04:13 PM | #2748
Quote: Originally Posted by Avernix View Post
actually harbinger had a 300 person queue last night and a 30min wait to get online...
Yeah, same thing happened with Ebon Hawk last week, but the transfer surge, as I predicted, dropped off, so we don't have a queue anymore. Concurrent playtimes spike during the transfer period, then everyone goes back to playing at the times they normally do.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Kirsith
06.19.2012 , 09:17 PM | #2749
When does the entire server transfer process end? I've got a friend who currently doesn't have a subscription but will resubscribe in the future but he's wanting to know if he'll have enough time to come back for the transfer process or if he just needs to resubscribe now and move his account.
Kirsith
Juggernaut - Tank

Strange Allies

Vivamus
06.19.2012 , 10:11 PM | #2750
Is it a groundless fear that I have here? I'm all for consolidating some servers to increase the likelihood you'll find others on and all, but it seems like now you're going to have to wait to log on, and possibly find out "Oh, sorry no room for you- wait X amount of minutes". I'm paying to be able to play, if I wanted to pay to wait I'd hop in my car and get on the tollway at rush hour!