Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Brodysmith's Avatar


Brodysmith
06.12.2012 , 04:43 PM | #2341
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Because it's not humanly possible to cover every single possible maybe scenario that this universe has to offer. Bugs are going to be found, it doesn't matter who the developer is, who the coders are, unless they are <insert your preferred deity here>.

I haven't been a part of a merge or transfer yet in my 10+ years of MMOing that didn't have some bug somewhere in it.

Now, can we get real please?
Lol, well I guess the people that create these games aren't very smart. How could they not think players would attempt to go on their characters as the transfer is about to happen? For all we know, the person put in the request for transfer, and quickly realized he had mail on his guy, so he had to quickly try and get it... while not expecting that the transfer was going to happen so quickly.

No one knows the reason for people logging on their character during it, the bottom line is, BW had a LOT of time to plan this. THIS is what could save the game, and the companies name... it was a situation where they had to not have a mistake, and it was such a simple thing to think of. Says a lot about a company when they don't even think of this scenario.

Gornn's Avatar


Gornn
06.12.2012 , 04:44 PM | #2342
Quote: Originally Posted by Brodysmith View Post
Its common sense that BW should of created a Fail Safe system with this....how did they not expect people to not try and log on their characters while its happening? Of course its dumb, Im not saying it isn't. This would NEVER HAVE HAPPENED if BW had created this correctly, and not allowed anyone to be on their characters. These are the SIMPLE FACTS.
I think the fact that you care is what fails.

Emeda's Avatar


Emeda
06.12.2012 , 04:44 PM | #2343
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
The failsafe was logging people off, obviously people got around that.
They must have really tested that before they started it then.

I bet everyone who did log on, had to do something other than log in and select the origin server.

Or Bioware just didnt think that some people would do that and just said you wont be able to log into that server and think that people wouldnt try
If this game is so great then why do so many people that love the game spend all their time in the forums?

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
06.12.2012 , 04:45 PM | #2344
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
No. I will say there intentions for it were correct in that they are setting up origin and destination servers. The problem is they are doing that terrible. The entire point of having any origin server only have one destination server is to make the process go quick but they cant even do that.

If they made it a free for all transfer then 99% of the people would go to the fatman or the other PVE server and those would be the only 2 NA servers (other than RP) that anyone would goto and that would most likely mean a que for those two servers.

They have the right idea they are just screwing that up.
It simply can't be done as fast as you think it can. They started off small and found a glitch. Thank god they didn't let everyone start transferring at once. This needs to be done slowly. You just want it to go faster. Understandable, but unrealistic.

Jasonito's Avatar


Jasonito
06.12.2012 , 04:45 PM | #2345
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Because it's not humanly possible to cover every single possible maybe scenario that this universe has to offer. Bugs are going to be found, it doesn't matter who the developer is, who the coders are, unless they are <insert your preferred deity here>.

I haven't been a part of a merge or transfer yet in my 10+ years of MMOing that didn't have some bug somewhere in it.

Now, can we get real please?
I seriously lol'd at this one. Checking that a transfer logs the player out automatically is not coving every single possibility the universe has to offer, it's the very basics of what should be tested prior to implementation. Even you should see this.

Emeda's Avatar


Emeda
06.12.2012 , 04:47 PM | #2346
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
It simply can't be done as fast as you think it can. They started off small and found a glitch. Thank god they didn't let everyone start transferring at once. This needs to be done slowly. You just want it to go faster. Understandable, but unrealistic.
The glich had nothing to do with the reason they went slow. The only reason they went slow is to drag out this process for as long as possible, since while they are doing transfers they dont have to do anything else.
If this game is so great then why do so many people that love the game spend all their time in the forums?

Shingara's Avatar


Shingara
06.12.2012 , 04:47 PM | #2347
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
They must have really tested that before they started it then.

I bet everyone who did log on, had to do something other than log in and select the origin server.

Or Bioware just didnt think that some people would do that and just said you wont be able to log into that server and think that people wouldnt try
Well asia pacific went off without this problem did it not ?

So whats so different about the playerbase this effected.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
06.12.2012 , 04:48 PM | #2348
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
The glich had nothing to do with the reason they went slow. The only reason they went slow is to drag out this process for as long as possible, since while they are doing transfers they dont have to do anything else.
Looking for glitches is exactly why they're going slow. You're reasoning makes no sense whatsoever....lol.

Brodysmith's Avatar


Brodysmith
06.12.2012 , 04:49 PM | #2349
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
Right so you go from saying bioware say you can to bioware will tell you you cant and log you out but you can log back in even though you know it can take upto 3 hours, your logic is astounding.



Thank you for pointing out the obvious, some people got around it and were able to log in again even though its clearly stated it can take upto 3 hours and not play them till complete. Should i eat lead paint because no on stops me from eating lead paint, under your logic thats exactly what we should do.
Saying that it will take up to 3 hours makes it worse, people will think that they might have the 3 hours to quickly go on their character to do something. Also, for the lead paint.... people are aware of things like that, and I bet some people have tried it without knowing. As much as you might think its common sense to not go on a character in the process of being transferred, its not. There is a lot of people that know nothing about computers. Maybe your life is all about computers so its common sense to you, but it isn't for everyone.

BiggerSur's Avatar


BiggerSur
06.12.2012 , 04:49 PM | #2350
Well what if the server that I'm able to transfer to I don't want to go to... I've already made contacts on Fatman and would like to bring my lvl 50's there...

I just want to transfer to Fatman and not have it be a problem. I understand they are worried about the server balance... BUT maybe the problem is that not enough people are playing... We don't need 10 servers... We more than likely only need 5. Players keep dropping like flies and i'm about to be the next one unless I can go to Fatman.
If i'm just SOL about the transfer than i'll just say F it and not renew.

EA may not care, but they will when the server population drops so low that they can't chrage a monthly fee anymore...

This game should just go free to play with a market. They have already lost a lot of credibility with many people.