Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JeramieCrowe
06.06.2012 , 01:46 PM | #221
Question for mods: Why does BioWare not seem open to the widespread desire of players to have per-character surnames that are separate from the server's Legacy name? Would that not ease the tension of having to change the Legacy names for server transfers?

Jacen Solo is part of the Skywalker Legacy, yet his surname is not Skywalker.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Lethemback
06.06.2012 , 01:47 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
Because this will take even longer to implement.
It's better to do something right even if it takes longer that doing something quick and screw everyone. Didn't we learn anything from the hurries for getting more servers? Anyways, they've got plenty of time to think something better.

Cheers.
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force. There is LOVE to defeat the Dark Side.

MasterKayote
06.06.2012 , 01:47 PM | #223
Nice! I mean my server is on the top 10 I think so it will most likely be a destination server but I'm still happy to hear there will be more.

Quick question though ... will ther be faction restrictions to balance out the imbalance? It would be a problem if say the empire on server X hardly sees a difference while the republic gets ask the goods.

cipher_nemo
06.06.2012 , 01:47 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethemback View Post
It's better to do something right even if it takes longer that doing something quick and screw everyone. Didn't we learn anything from the hurries for getting more servers? Anyways, they've got plenty of time to think something better.

Cheers.
Agreed 100%.

Enantuaro
06.06.2012 , 01:48 PM | #225
Hey! What about the "super servers" quoted by Daniel Erickson?

uaintjak
06.06.2012 , 01:48 PM | #226
I have a question regarding transferring of characters who may be on wildly different server types. The announcement indicates that we will not be allowed (at this time, under free transfers) to change server types (thus pve only goes to pve, pvp only to pvp, and I assume rp only to rp). I assume this restriction will also hold true for regions (thus, west coast to west coast only, and east coast to east coast only)

A bit of background before my question.

I have rerolled several times due to dropping server populations. As a result, I have characters I wish to keep on 4 different servers (2 rp east coast, 1 pve west coast, 1 pve east coast). I would much prefer to have these characters consolidated onto one server of my choice, rather than spread out among 4 different servers.

I believe I understand why you're handling the transfers the way you are, and I have no real argument against that. However, it seems that, short of paid transfers coming sometime in the nebulous future, even with server transfers I am stuck on 4 different servers (or at best 3, assuming the two east coast rp servers end up going to the same destination)

Is there any way you can accomodate people who are in my situation (of which I'm sure there are many, given the different server types and the number of people who have rerolled) short of paid transfers? Perhaps after the initial moving and shaking is complete, you could allow free transfers (for a limited time of course) to destination servers that are different than the source servers? Perhaps even putting restrictions on it (you must already have a level whatever character on the destination server before being allowed to transfer there).

Doing so would not increase the server population (because I already play there), it would just allow me to consolidate my characters in a fair and equitable manner.

Jedi_Barbie
06.06.2012 , 01:49 PM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by psi_overtake View Post
That's pretty innovative. Glad to see another angle to it
I respectfully disagree. They have specifically stated that they would not be giving out the names of the destination servers because they will constantly be changing based on availability/population. We have 198 people in our guild. about 1/2 are alts. So we'll call it 95 people who need to transfer. Of those 95 roughly 60 are active (logging on and playing at least every other day if not every day). Those 60 people will not be guaranteed to wind up on the same destination server (if we are all understanding BW correctly).

I'll break it down in a hypothetical timeline for those who TLR the above text:

7:00am EST - GM and 5 officers manage to transfer to new destination server and get text messages and FB posts out to members with server name.
7:10am EST - 15 members manage to relocate to same server with Gm and officers
7:15am EST - BW changes destination server
7:20am EST - remaining members can not relocate to new server.

Guild is broken.
The Glitter'sparkle Legacy

islander
06.06.2012 , 01:49 PM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
Scorpienne:

Dead wood?

I'm a GM of what was once an uber active, huge guild. That dead wood is as such because the server situation is terrible. When they look to come back, I'll want them on my guild's new server.

It sounds to me like this simply won't be possible. You either put in your transfer for X server during Y period of time, or you're screwed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
They need to learn that they can't just start and end stuff like this abruptley, this is critical for the games future. This is no rakghoul event where when it is ended people are missing out on a rare crystal, oh no, this is something that will affect subscriptions on a large scale.
Exactly. I don't know why BW just didn't say something like "OK, we're going to do a 4 to 1 ratio on transfers". If you are on dead servers A-H, you will be free to transfer to X or Y bigger server. This assignment fo server won't change for at least 2 months, to allow your old friends to re-subscribe and join you on your guild's new home."

Maybe that's how it'll actually be in execution next week. It doesn't look that way today, though.

Edit:
Jedi_Barbie: Yes, that's exactly what I was saying previously. It reads today like they are going to be essentially destroying existing guilds by this process.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

tloops
06.06.2012 , 01:50 PM | #229
this is good news ,i have 11 days left on my sub. if all goes well i may stuck around for a bit.
TOR...the best single player game on the market

Sheldoom
06.06.2012 , 01:51 PM | #230
I have a question/comments that I have not seen answered yet so I may as well give them a shot.

I'm excited to see a light at the end of this tunnel but I have a longer term question about character transfers. When I left my original server I randomly selected one of a handful that was higher population at the time, and now it remains as pretty much the only high population server. I would like to consolidate my new characters with my old characters but I highly doubt I would be allowed to move from a low pop to an essentially full server. On the same token I would imagine I could transfer my high pop characters to a new destination server but that's a pretty risky move. I've built a few friendships there and the server is rather developed in most regards but any server I move to has a good chance at being worse.

So my questions would be: Are all servers (regardless of current population) going to be available to move away from? Will there be future chances to move my old characters to my new, full server, in the future-- either for free or as a paid service? and finally, Will there be a time limit for the free transfers? Being able to wait a week and see where the servers are could go a long way towards making a positive choice.
Ajunta Pall refugee on The Fatman