Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JefferyClark
06.11.2012 , 01:37 PM | #1911
Quote: Originally Posted by uaintjak View Post
You'll find out tomorrow. You don't have to transfer tomorrow. You'll have plenty of time to decide what you're going to do. I don't understand why all the angst over something that hasn't even started yet, and, when it does start, isn't something that you have to decide on right away.
Umm, because on some servers, if even 1/4 of the population transfers out, it basically makes it so that the remaining players can't get a warzone or operation or flashpoint. That is why there is so much angst.

DSafana
06.11.2012 , 01:39 PM | #1912
Quote: Originally Posted by JefferyClark View Post
This is where my guild and its allies are at. We are sitting here on our hands waiting for info. We've taken precautions (cleared out the guild bank, etc) in case we do move, but it would be much nicer if we knew if we were going or staying. We have 50 some members in just our guild and our ally has about that as well. That's a lot of people to get informed of what is going on even if we were all in the same geographical location or online at the same times, and quite simply, we're not.
You keep the old guild name intact on OLD server and put a single low level toon as the guild officer place holder, You put up on Guild MoTD : Guild has moved to Server X under new guild name "YAdaYada" please contact any guild member or guild officer Joe Shmoe for invite to new guild once your transfer is complete.

JeramieCrowe
06.11.2012 , 01:39 PM | #1913
Umm, because on some servers, if even 1/4 of the population transfers out, it basically makes it so that the remaining players can't get a warzone or operation or flashpoint. That is why there is so much angst.
Err...huh?

Why would you stay when there's a transfer available to a higher pop server for free, and is just about as simple as logging out and logging back in?
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

BJWyler
06.11.2012 , 01:40 PM | #1914
And makes it irrelevant when they release the actual information - either a week before or on the day of transfers. When the get the actual info does not change what will happen:

You will either be able to transfer or not
You will either be able to keep your character name or not
You will either have to wait for paid transfers or not

Whether they gave us the list last week or they give it to us tomorrow doesn't change any of those things.

Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Err...huh?

Why would you stay when there's a transfer available to a higher pop server for free, and is just about as simple as logging out and logging back in?
'Cause I want to keep my character names. If my destination server has a conflict, then I'd rather wait and pay for a transfer to a server that I know doesn't have any name conflicts.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

Scorpienne
06.11.2012 , 01:42 PM | #1915
This is where my guild and its allies are at. We are sitting here on our hands waiting for info. We've taken precautions (cleared out the guild bank, etc) in case we do move, but it would be much nicer if we knew if we were going or staying. We have 50 some members in just our guild and our ally has about that as well. That's a lot of people to get informed of what is going on even if we were all in the same geographical location or online at the same times, and quite simply, we're not.
Dude... you don't have to move tomorrow. It's not a race. Let's say your server does get an invite to move to a different server tomorrow. Cool.

• Maybe you create a new character on the destination server so you can see what chat is like and /who the population a few times to see what the pop is like or reserve your favorite name (or see if it's taken).
  • Maybe you go do some google fu to see what the community on that new server is like. Find non-SWTOR forums, check out the websites of other guilds on that server, see what other guilds are moving. Snoop around in the server forums on SWTOR.
  • Maybe you have some folks transfer one and only one of their least favorite characters with a butt load of guild bank stuff to sell on the GTN to test out the economy, PvP, what have you.
  • Maybe you wait and see who else from your server takes the transfer, and what other servers are going to that destination server.

After doing three weeks worth of homework, you decide that the new server isn't for you, and you decide to stay put.

Maybe after doing three weeks worth of investigation you decide it's the best move for your guild. By then you have hopefully gotten in touch with everyone in your guild and gotten their input and disbursed the contents of your guild bank.

There's no rush on Bioware's end to get you over there tomorrow. If you're feeling pressured to move quickly, then ask yourself what's preventing you from getting the info tomorrow and taking a measured and reasonable approach to test the waters to see if the move is the best thing for you?

Paige

Grayhl
06.11.2012 , 01:42 PM | #1916
Quote: Originally Posted by curtkram View Post
I'm not sure you understand the plan. If you are currently on a low pop server you will be given the option to transfer to a new destination server. Multiple low pop servers will be transferred onto said destination server with the hope of it becoming high pop. More information should be available tomorrow.
If that is the case then I will do the transfers on all the servers where I have toons in hopes of them finally getting a population again, but i am still left with the problem that all my friends that have just started the game researched which were the highest pop servers and are on them like (harbinger: west coast, pve). So my only solution is to start new toons and Lvl them again. Like I said before, this wont stop me from doing so, it just pisses me off.

I love this game, I have been waiting for it since KOTOR 2, I am just getting tired PR "We know how important it is to play with your friends." Then making where you cant get to them.

B4 i get flamed for, "Well you should have taken advantage of the prelaunch guild/friend finder. I did and they all quit b4 most of them even hit 50. Now i just want to be able to get to the friends that are playing, and a server with a farging population.

Sorry i have forum posted since launch and just a little frustrated. I am so happy for server transfers, just not liking all the big brothering.

sumquy
06.11.2012 , 01:43 PM | #1917
Quote: Originally Posted by Matte_Black View Post
Great example, they listened to the whines of what people wanted instead of what would be best for the game. Now people are complaining about what they want individually as opposed to what seems a concerted effort to balance the servers as is needed. They are making transfers wave by wave as is needed. The balance got broken and that's what they are fixing directly without letting individual wants that are a muich lower priority cloud the effort.
So i am supposed to be happy that they are fixing the problems they created? Or is it your belief that swtor was the first mmo ever made and nobody had any clue what works and what doesn't? It's not like they could have looked around and learned from the mistakes of those that came before them, right?

JeramieCrowe
06.11.2012 , 01:46 PM | #1918
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
'Cause I want to keep my character names. If my destination server has a conflict, then I'd rather wait and pay for a transfer to a server that I know doesn't have any name conflicts.

BJ
And there are some who will stay because they have their circle of friends and like less populated servers. And there are those that will stay because <insert reason here>.

However, the poster I responded to specifically stated a concern of people moving off of his server, resulting in no longer being able to do WZ's and FP's. If that's his main concern, why stay?
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Scorpienne
06.11.2012 , 01:46 PM | #1919
Quote: Originally Posted by DSafana View Post
You keep the old guild name intact on OLD server and put a single low level toon as the guild officer place holder, You put up on Guild MoTD : Guild has moved to Server X under new guild name "YAdaYada" please contact any guild member or guild officer Joe Shmoe for invite to new guild once your transfer is complete.
They very clearly said that you will have to disband your guild on the old server. They didn't say why.

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...81#edit4569281

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

You will have to:
  • Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
  • Disband the Guild.
  • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
  • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.
It is my opinion, speculation, and guess that may be because they won't give you your guild bank tabs on the new server until they know that the guild bank tabs no longer exist on the old server. /shrug I don't know for sure.

Paige

WrecklessMEDIC
06.11.2012 , 01:48 PM | #1920
Quote: Originally Posted by PlagaNerezza View Post
What would you do? Nothing. Bioware would just let you play all the characters and you'd have a few extras? If you deleted one you would lose the slot. I mean that is some rocket science solution.
The question was: Without adding extra character slots how could you merge 2 servers that had 8 characters each filled on both servers?

The answer: You can't

This is why merges can't work. Transfers give you the opportunity to split up and move characters to different servers. Impossible to do with server merges.