Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Adrianna
06.06.2012 , 01:27 PM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by Eanelinea View Post
Basically this is saying the following:

Say your main ghost town server is A and the new server you want to go to is B.

You have NO ONE on server B, so you bring all your toons from A to B. Now, your Legacy name is Kitten on server A. When you transfer to server B, your Legacy goes with you.

Okay, once you hit server B, you have to rename your Legacy. It still has all your bells and whistles, but you have to rename your Legacy because you lost your name.

IF no one chooses Kitten on server B, you can name your Legacy Kitten again.

Does this make sense?
Yes, it does. I appreciate your input
banana

AntTHFD
06.06.2012 , 01:28 PM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I completely agree!!! Transferring the full guild should be a given, name, bank, ranks and all. Thank GOD my guild is still healthy and active...but that sure as hell isn't because of anything Bioware has done. This is horrible! I can't even send a flipping mass email to my guild members...how the **edit** am I supposed to facilitate an entire guild move in LESS than 6 days?!

You won't even tell us what servers we can go to yet?! Holy crap guys...what the hell!? We have lives outside of this game...and to be frank, this game would suck if weren't for those players in my guild. THEY are what I play for...not Legacy unlocks.

Decide quick! VERY quick! We NEED this information ASAP!!!!
/agree with much gnashing of teeth.
REDRUM
The Shadowlands
A casual guild for adults that behave like children.
Antorius, Guildleader

Grammarye
06.06.2012 , 01:28 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomisu View Post
3. Don't close moves from destination servers from origin server any time soon. If some of our guild members come back to play they should be able to transfer to us, otherwise they may not re-subscribe
This is an excellent point that bears repeating. Transfer opportunities really mustn't come and go like wormholes on a daily basis.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

cipher_nemo
06.06.2012 , 01:28 PM | #184
Quote: Originally Posted by Balrizangor View Post
If these friends aren't playing/subbing, I don't think any game company would care if their characters get transferred. There isn't a seniority system in place, this is normal for any MMO that has server moves, sadly if your name is taken, you'll have to rename.
That's a sure-fire wire to REALLY discourage old players from coming back. I don't think Bioware wants any discouragement in that department. They'll probably just leave them on the same server.

Karabal
06.06.2012 , 01:29 PM | #185
That's fantastic news. My only concern is that I will be moving from one dead server to another.

Galbatorrix
06.06.2012 , 01:30 PM | #186
This is good for people that have stood by their dying servers, but us rerollers don't seem to be included yet. I left my JG on a dead server and rerolled, hoping to move him once transfers hit. I'll likely have to pay money to move him now..... no thanks.

If you already have a legacy of 8 or higher on a heavy server, you should be able to move your other characters to that same server free of charge. It's not like I can play more than one of them at a time....

Enderet
06.06.2012 , 01:31 PM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
This is a good thing definitely. Only problem I foresee is that a guild of people who want to stay together happens to be on one of the origin servers. They allow us to move to a destination server for a day... two days... a week... whatever their timeframe is. But then that opportunity is limited in time and/or the destination server changes suddenly without warning and we still have half of our guild trying to transfer off the origin server or we have a couple integral members on vacation for the week and completely miss being able to transfer. Suddenly we either have to choose to keep the whole guild on a suddenly dead server or screw over a chunk of our guild members and leave without warning to them.

Like I said this transfer is definitely a very good thing and happy it is sooner then later. But not having some sort of guild transfer function could be problematic.

Please address this Bioware.

RolyartNala
06.06.2012 , 01:32 PM | #188
Quote:
We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.
Lame. Lame lame lame. BioWare, why do you continue to fail at community support?

My guild is stuck on a dead server, with most of its members having high legacy levels (30+), and have been planning on transferring together. And now this.

What producer, manager or empty suit at BioWare/EA failed to plan for this scenario? Have you fired him yet? Because he freakin' deserves it.
The Vosk Legacy
SUMNER 55 Gunslinger | VESKO 50 Commando | AHMA 50 Jedi Shadow | SUU-THA 50Jedi Guardian

Nakazia
06.06.2012 , 01:32 PM | #189
This article, while it's great they threw us a small bone, still doesn't answer many questions lingering in peoples minds. I'm not so sure I trust Bioware to do this smoothly. We shall see in a week.

This process will be gradual and staged over time.

Over how much time?

How soon will it be before the majority of players will be able to actually utilize the transfer service?

6/12/12 sounds alright (sooner than I expected) but if we're taking baby steps through out the process it's going to still be painful waiting for players to populate my server/see if I can actually even transfer ALL eight of my characters from one server to another (which I'm thinking may not even be possible?)

As with a lot of information comming from Bioware... I feel like I've been given a 1,000 piece puzzle with a dozen pieces missing.

I'll wait, and I'll determine if my sub should be reactivated in a week or two.

In the free month we were "gifted" I've spent serveral hours each night on a dead server. I won't pay a penny more to continue to do so.

demosthanes
06.06.2012 , 01:32 PM | #190
I understand the desire to limit server transfers as a means of balancing populations, but there are a few things that need to be taken into account.

For one, many players, including myself, rerolled on a new server in order to play with a higher population prior to transfers being available. We would all really like to be able to put all of our characters onto one server. So, in the initial round of transfers, something needs to be worked out so that people can unify characters onto one server.

Second, some people want to change what type of server they play on. I have characters on an RP server, but would actually prefer to have them on a regular PvE server. Other people may have started on a PvE server, but now wish to get characters transferred to a PvP server. The origin type and destination type servers should not be strictly the same.