Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Emeda
06.11.2012 , 09:07 AM | #1841
Quote: Originally Posted by Aquifer View Post
Can we stop whining for a minute? Let's give them time, as if other MMO's got perfected in a year...
Will you start first?
If this game is so great then why do so many people that love the game spend all their time in the forums?

cipher_nemo
06.11.2012 , 09:11 AM | #1842
Quote: Originally Posted by HeadwarP View Post
Defend your sinking ship but I'm jumping off at the first sign of a leak...however in this case I have poured my fair share of buckets off the edge for this one 6 months in. BW hasn't done much to restore my faith in them...and this move seems like desperation rather than solid thinking or research. It's like they've never played an mmo, or talked to anyone that has.
Ditto. I feel your pain as well. I really wanted for my gaming community (we play multiple games) to have TOR as their focus, but even all of us are abandoning this sinking ship. In fact, the one guy we had who was spear-heading his resolve in playing TOR with the few stragglers we had left, canceled his sub a few days ago as well.

Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
With a server merge you would immediately have to delete multiple toons since you can't have 16 characters on 1 server. Merges don't work.
Did you read my post at all? If you have 8 characters (or 5+) on both your origin and destination server for thes transfers, you'd have to do the same thing if they don't up the 8-slots per server. Nothing is different there.

Rogoo
06.11.2012 , 09:12 AM | #1843
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
Wait, you're an RPer who is upset that you are being directed to an RP server? Huh?
The deal is that there is NO server for us to transfer. People playing on EU RP-PvP servers have nowhere to go.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

HeadwarP
06.11.2012 , 09:13 AM | #1844
With a server transfer you can choose which characters to move over immediately and which ones you'd like to leave on the dead server for a possible transfer later. With a server merge you would immediately have to delete multiple toons since you can't have 16 characters on 1 server. Merges don't work.
There's a simple solution to that..UP THE CHARACTOR LIMIT.

DizzyWho
06.11.2012 , 09:15 AM | #1845
Im not married to my guild name, character names or my legacy name...get real. Die hard fan of your names stay where your at and see how your names keep you busy. lol.

Population is all anyone has cried about for months...now you wanty to cry when theyre gonna open transfers up? again....get real and be happy its happening AT ALL.

If you all need to cry ...go find a corner and sit in it.

jensda
06.11.2012 , 09:18 AM | #1846
With a server transfer you can choose which characters to move over immediately and which ones you'd like to leave on the dead server for a possible transfer later. With a server merge you would immediately have to delete multiple toons since you can't have 16 characters on 1 server. Merges don't work.
I get your point with this, but with so many servers that exist, what are the odds that you have re-rolls on the 1 destination server that will be chosen for you?
"All too easy..."

cipher_nemo
06.11.2012 , 09:19 AM | #1847
I sort of have to chuckle when I read posts defending Bioware by claiming that other MMOs needed a year or more to "perfect" themselves too.

First: there is no "perfect" MMO. You can't please everyone all the time. And even if you got close, there would always be something to improve upon.

Second: this is 2012. The MMO scene is ripe with competition. If an MMO developer/publisher can't get it right within 4 months, they see their subscriber base flee. In this market, if you plan to do some AAA title MMO, you need to get it right by open beta. If you're lacking somewhere, that oversight may never get addressed in time and you'll lose subscribers as they become invested in other, newer, shinier MMOs.

I think the old model of limited, developer-pushed content with level caps will follow this trend of hype, brief success, then failure. No one developer can hold a subscriber's interest without generating a lot of content to keep them entertained. The MMO revolutions of the future will be either user-content driven or have a sand-box, persistent world. The theme/amusement-park style MMO only holds gamers' attentions so long, with about the only exception being WoW.

WrecklessMEDIC
06.11.2012 , 09:21 AM | #1848
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Did you read my post at all? If you have 8 characters (or 5+) on both your origin and destination server for thes transfers, you'd have to do the same thing if they don't up the 8-slots per server. Nothing is different there.
Did you read mine? If you have anywhere near 16 characters combined on an origin/destination server you'd have to delete 8 immediately with a server merge. With a transfer you can choose to move some to a different server later. Transfers give you choice, merges do not.

HeadwarP
06.11.2012 , 09:22 AM | #1849
Quote: Originally Posted by DizzyWho View Post
Im not married to my guild name, character names or my legacy name...get real. Die hard fan of your names stay where your at and see how your names keep you busy. lol.

Population is all anyone has cried about for months...now you wanty to cry when theyre gonna open transfers up? again....get real and be happy its happening AT ALL.

If you all need to cry ...go find a corner and sit in it.
There's something to be said for doing it right the first time, and BW didn't. If you, or BW, thinks that providing a temporary solution doesn't even solve the issues that cause the need for these transfers is worth people investing their time or money into, good for you. Some of us don't want to buy into a ship with a patch in it's hull that's going to fall off and start leaking in 3 mo's. Be happy it's happening at all? At this current point I could piss on this game... but i can't help but remind BW of it's potential and how they're not utilizing it.
You can call it crying, but I see it as warning Bioware of the consequences of their actions, and how it could prove fruitless. As it is, I'm not subbed, I know many other players who aren't subbed for the very same reasons. Who probably would subscribe if BW thought further ahead than next month's subscription fees. Let my post be a prediction of what's likely to happen with this chosen course of action... and we'll see how happy you are in a few months, if you're not already on fatman or something similar.

HeavensAgent
06.11.2012 , 09:24 AM | #1850
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Second: this is 2012. The MMO scene is ripe with competition. If an MMO developer/publisher can't get it right within 4 months, they see their subscriber base flee. In this market, if you plan to do some AAA title MMO, you need to get it right by open beta. If you're lacking somewhere, that oversight may never get addressed in time and you'll lose subscribers as they become invested in other, newer, shinier MMOs.
So the industry is already dead.
Quote:
I think the old model of limited, developer-pushed content with level caps will follow this trend of hype, brief success, then failure. No one developer can hold a subscriber's interest without generating a lot of content to keep them entertained. The MMO revolutions of the future will be either user-content driven or have a sand-box, persistent world. The theme/amusement-park style MMO only holds gamers' attentions so long, with about the only exception being WoW.
There's a major flaw in this argument: the coming generation of MMORPG subscribers do not like sandbox content. They don't like user-driven content. They want to be handed a path and plan; they want themepark games, but they want themeparks that never pause. They want themepark titles that put out new content constantly.
Del'lantam Trooper of Alpha Company, 203rd Republic Expeditionary Legion