Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WrecklessMEDIC
06.09.2012 , 11:00 AM | #1611
Quote: Originally Posted by LordWeaver View Post
Where is this posted? And why wait ? it is simple to give people a choice or to create some exceptions based on pre determined guidelines. Like if you have a 50 on a server or Legacy 10 on a server or so many hours played on a server. This would make a lot of people happy and retain more people as apposed to losing them.And if they are going to have all these so called fat man like servers then they can spare the people to go to where they choose.
The reason it's so tightly restricted during the first round is because they need to actively funnel the population onto selected destination servers to create "mega servers". If they gave players choice this early people would scatter everywhere or all go to a server like The Fatman.

It has to be controlled to fix the population issues.

JeramieCrowe
06.09.2012 , 11:03 AM | #1612
Celebrus said it perfectly, so I'll repost here:

Quote: Originally Posted by Celebrus View Post
This is probably one of the few times we'll find common ground on something, but I agree.

They're restricting these transfers for a reason, it's fairly clear. That reason is that when the community is given it's choice, it would apparently like 2-3 extremely full servers and 100 or so dead servers.

Now, when Bioware is given the choice, they would like to see a few dozen healthy servers, and by limiting our options thats really the only way to achieve that goal. The bottom line is that they are trying to fix the current problem, not recreate it, and by allowing us too many options, it would simply cause the same problems all over again.

There isn't anything wrong with paid transfers in this instance, as the free transfers are being allowed SIMPLY AND ONLY TO FIX THE POPULATION ISSUES ON CERTAIN SERVERS. The paid transfer service will be later put in place to fix problems caused by player decisions. Such as transferring from a pvp to a pve server.
It's about flow-control. There HAS to be flow-control on this. And people transferring willy-nilly after the servers are filled is not a good idea, either, and a paid service is the perfect way to stem that behavior.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

LordWeaver
06.09.2012 , 11:03 AM | #1613
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
The reason it's so tightly restricted during the first round is because they need to actively funnel the population onto selected destination servers to create "mega servers". If they gave players choice this early people would scatter everywhere or all go to a server like The Fatman.

It has to be controlled to fix the population issues.
But does it really matter? I mean If i transfer a character onto the new server but do not play it cause I am active on a new server it becomes irrelevant.The character is there but not the player.That is the reason I mentioned there be guidelines for those who have already made a new home elsewhere.

LordWeaver
06.09.2012 , 11:06 AM | #1614
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Celebrus said it perfectly, so I'll repost here:

It's about flow-control. There HAS to be flow-control on this. And people transferring willy-nilly after the servers are filled is not a good idea, either, and a paid service is the perfect way to stem that behavior.
I should pay because I was not allowed to play the lvl 50 content due to poor population? Did i miss something? was I psychic and suppose to know my server was gonna die? Now either way I have to pay to get everyone of my toons on same server.Again this is a dirty tactic to generate cash flow.

WrecklessMEDIC
06.09.2012 , 11:07 AM | #1615
But does it really matter? I mean If i transfer a character onto the new server but do not play it cause I am active on a new server it becomes irrelevant.The character is there but not the player.That is the reason I mentioned there be guidelines for those who have already made a new home elsewhere.
If they made special circumstances for you, they'd have to do it for everyone. Which would defeat the whole purpose. Be patient, it will all work out in the end.

LordWeaver
06.09.2012 , 11:08 AM | #1616
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
If they made special circumstances for you, they'd have to do it for everyone. Which would defeat the whole purpose. Be patient, it will all work out in the end.

I didn't say for me alone I meant in general. Guidelines for everyone not me alone.But I am sure You kind of knew that right?

JeramieCrowe
06.09.2012 , 11:10 AM | #1617
Again this is a dirty tactic to generate cash flow.
LOL!! So a typical model that most other MMOs use to stem willy-nilly transfers is a "dirty tactic", eh?

The bottom line is that correcting player decisions is not the goal of the free transfers. I have a character that I decided to roll on another server, and it very likely will NOT be an origin server to my current server where the rest of my characters are.

It was MY decision to do that, so I'm willing to pay to correct MY mistake.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

WrecklessMEDIC
06.09.2012 , 11:10 AM | #1618
I should pay because I was not allowed to play the lvl 50 content due to poor population? Did i miss something? was I psychic and suppose to know my server was gonna die? Now either way I have to pay to get everyone of my toons on same server.Again this is a dirty tactic to generate cash flow.
You won't likely have to pay. Relax....lol.

JeramieCrowe
06.09.2012 , 11:15 AM | #1619
If they open 4 origin servers to one destination server, and it adequately fills up the destination server, that's that. If you're not on one of the origin servers, but you want on the destination server, wait until paid transfers.

And there's nothing wrong with paid transfers. Even EQ2 still has paid transfers, and many people still avail themselves of it to this day. And it has done wonders with stemming willy-nilly transfers. I think it's a great idea.

LordWeaver
06.09.2012 , 11:19 AM | #1620
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
If they open 4 origin servers to one destination server, and it adequately fills up the destination server, that's that. If you're not on one of the origin servers, but you want on the destination server, wait until paid transfers.

And there's nothing wrong with paid transfers. Even EQ2 still has paid transfers, and many people still avail themselves of it to this day. And it has done wonders with stemming willy-nilly transfers. I think it's a great idea.
Later in the games development sure I don't have a problem paying.But when it's part of BW short sited failings I don't expect to pay.And when they claim to have everyone's happiness in mind I have the right to voice what would make me and I know from what I have read many many more happy.I would like to see them actually back that up as something they meant not something on a Que card meant to get you off the hone or out of dev chat.