Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jaavik
06.08.2012 , 04:42 PM | #1501
Quote: Originally Posted by Creror View Post
Is it just me or do these three sentences not make sense together? I mean, first it says "it starts on June 12". Then it says "We have no scheduled time frame". And then again it says "release is now June 12th". oO
I'd have to go back and check it, but I think the quote:

"While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service... "

had to do with transfers OTHER than the initial free transfers (such as transferring to a specific server not targeted or transferring from PvE to PvP, etc.)

JAAVIK
The Darkholde Legacy - Prophecy of the Five server

Join "The Art of Warfare" Gaming Community
The Republic of TAW and The Empire of TAW

Sydth
06.08.2012 , 04:43 PM | #1502
Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers...
This is when the process is starting. Starting on this day and probably the weeks following it's going to be very messy and confusing.

While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service...
I think they were referring to a more refined transfer service than the one that is being implemented on the 12th

We're in the final stretch of testing the service, and our release is now June 12th, 2012.
This means they are giving in to our demands again before they are actually ready
Khajjo'panåkaAloo'palakPårü shå
Harbinger

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."

Jaavik
06.08.2012 , 04:44 PM | #1503
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydth View Post
oh i see.. that is true.
I played Allods Online before this. When you died you went to Purgatory. The higher your level the longer the wait to resurrect. You could instantly rez with Myrrh but Myrrh costs in-game gold and isn't altogether cheap. This also made classes with resurrection all the more demanding. Oh, and then there's the risk your gear being cursed; all the stats turned negative [+50 strength to -50 strength] which required a VERY expensive cleansing scroll. Cursing is prevent with holy charms which expire upon death and also have to be replenished with in-game money.

So yes count your lucky star (wars) that there are no lasting effects upon death.
I honestly wouldn't mind some kind of "death penalty". It makes the combat a little more meaningful. When I played City of Heroes, dying would cause you to earn a specific amount of XP at a reduced rate. Once the "XP Debt" was paid off, you started earning at the regular rate. Depending on your level, the XP debt would only go to a set limit.
JAAVIK

Yomitako
06.08.2012 , 04:48 PM | #1504
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydth View Post
Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers...
This is when the process is starting. Starting on this day and probably the weeks following it's going to be very messy and confusing.

While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service...
I think they were referring to a more refined transfer service than the one that is being implemented on the 12th

We're in the final stretch of testing the service, and our release is now June 12th, 2012.
This means they are giving in to our demands again before they are actually ready
Hardly messy and confusing. They open up one destination server, and select X# of origin servers. Those servers' populace move the one destination server. No real confusion there. This implementation is pretty refined, but then again, I'm not sure what you may feel is refined, in comparison to what I believe. Difference in perspective, I suppose. As for them stating a date, I'm not sure how this is giving in to our "demands". In a way, yes, because we've been pining for transfers for a while now, but everyone, player and developer alike, know that this is needed in order for player bases to survive, and they have now found a method that will work, and have (hopefully) ironed out the kinks that can be associated with such a transfer process.

Creror
06.08.2012 , 04:52 PM | #1505
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaavik View Post
I'd have to go back and check it, but I think the quote:

"While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service... "

had to do with transfers OTHER than the initial free transfers (such as transferring to a specific server not targeted or transferring from PvE to PvP, etc.)
ah, okay, now I got it. Thank you. =)

But still having the following question:
But now I'm wondering:
So let's say I'm transfering with a character named "Jaksen" (just an example) to a server which already have a "Jaksen".
That means I have to rename my character.
But what if my char is already Level 50 and the other one, that already exists on the server, is just Level 1?
So who will be prioritized now?

Scorpienne
06.08.2012 , 05:00 PM | #1506
But now I'm wondering:
So let's say I'm transfering with a character named "Jaksen" (just an example) to a server which already have a "Jaksen".
But what if my char is already Level 50 and the other one, that already exists on the server, is just Level 1?
http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...ations-and-you

"If your transferred character’s name conflicts with an existing name on a destination server, you will be asked to rename your character. "

That means that whoever got to the server with that name first has the priority.

Paige

psi_overtake
06.08.2012 , 05:02 PM | #1507
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...ations-and-you

"If your transferred character’s name conflicts with an existing name on a destination server, you will be asked to rename your character. "

That means that whoever got to the server with that name first has the priority.

Paige
Beat me to it!

But yeah, this. Although I'm not sure if it'll be the same for those with trial accounts or not. Probably, but it seems reasonable.
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

Jaavik
06.08.2012 , 05:03 PM | #1508
Unfortunately, they will give priority to the person who was there first. It sucks, but there's no real way to work around it. I would suggest alternate spellings like Jaksynn, Jaksenn, etc.

JAAVIK

Ghostuka
06.08.2012 , 05:05 PM | #1509
people will cry about anything in these forums
Kánn - Tardìs - Gìn
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Drinking game: Take one shot if you take my post seriously
Take two if you don't.

APhantasm
06.08.2012 , 05:17 PM | #1510
Unless I missed it I have not seen this answered yet.

I currently have characters on Master Zhar Lestin, Perlemian Trade Route, & Zakkeg Beast. On Zakkeg Beast I currently have 8 characters. What happens if Zakkeg ends up being a destination server for either Zhar or Perlemian. Are they going to increase the character slots beyond the 8 available or will I be stuck on a dead server till paid transfers come out.