Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

-Syn-
06.08.2012 , 10:37 AM | #1351
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Unfortunately we won't know when the next server transfers are allowed. I hope they appear within a month instead of waiting multiple months.
True although a month i could live with cause i have waited longer then that for this to even start. I just ain't gonna wait 6 months or so just to do it So lets just cross our fingers and hope BW will be able to rush to allow some of the other phases. Cause i know the inital phase will take awhile although with how limited it will be i think it won't be nearly as many transfers til u are able to transfer to the server of your choice not just the ones they say u can transfer to

WrecklessMEDIC
06.08.2012 , 10:47 AM | #1352
This is the only free transfers we know of. There might be more, but Bioware has stated it may or may not cost money. Please quote somewhere stating that Bioware said other "phases" of transfers will be free. You intentionally spun the wording of that.
Highlighted the important parts for you.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...ations-and-you

"Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players. Therefore, we made the decision to strictly limit the initial phase of the Character Transfer Service."

"This process will be gradual and staged over time."

psi_overtake
06.08.2012 , 10:49 AM | #1353
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
He's not arguing with you. He's correcting your mistake.

Quote: Originally Posted by thendavesaid
So, I created a new character on a new server after I realized my original server was dead. Am I ever going to be able to consolidate my characters from both servers onto one server/legacy?

Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo
According to Bioware, no. Awesome "server transfers", huh?

That is misinformation and simply not true. The question was will he ever be able to consolidate his characters onto one server. The answer is yes.

Someone sane on the general forums? Thanks for the support

I was wondering something today. BW has said that origin servers won't be required to move to destination servers. Will BW keep the nearly-empty origin servers open as-is after the transfers are all finished? or will they be merged with other nearly-empty origin servers after some time?
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

cipher_nemo
06.08.2012 , 10:51 AM | #1354

"Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players. Therefore, we made the decision to strictly limit the initial phase of the Character Transfer Service."

Nothing says any other "phase" will be "free". You're spreading that rumor around that other phases are free.

Celebrus
06.08.2012 , 10:53 AM | #1355

You're intentionally glossing over a very important part of the blog post.

Quote:
We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.
It makes it pretty clear right there that when full option character transfers arrive, they *might* require a fee. I'm sure thats not set in stone, but you're really trying hard to convey the appearance that ALL phases will for sure be free, which simply isn't true.

cipher_nemo
06.08.2012 , 10:55 AM | #1356
Quote: Originally Posted by Celebrus View Post
It makes it pretty clear right there that when full option character transfers arrive, they *might* require a fee. I'm sure thats not set in stone, but you're really trying hard to convey the appearance that ALL phases will be free, which simply isn't true.
Thank you. That's the same message I'm trying to relay.

PlagaNerezza
06.08.2012 , 10:56 AM | #1357
They could very easily fix the scattered issue by allowing you to have 2 free transfers. Most people found a new home. I could roll from Naddist rebels to Whatever PVP server. Then roll from Fatman to whatever pvp server. Problem solved. Sure I had a lvl 12 someplace.

The point is biowares stated message was create a character on a more populated server. Now they designed a character transfer process that doesn't actually let you transfer your character where you want.

Which as others have said makes no sense. If I have a level 50 on any server. If I move characters to that server I am not taking an additional slot. It takes most people playing conservatively 1-2 months to get from 1-50. I can do 1-10 in about a nights gameplay. 10-25 in about 1 week and another 2-4 weeks to go from 25-50 depending on how much effort I want to put in, which frankly isn't much. I know some can do it faster and others it takes longer, but I figure that is about average. So if someone has been playing on a server for about 1 month or longer why cannot they bring over characters?

Fine.

So why cannot I bring my 50 from full server fatman which I know has zero shot of being included to whatever character dumping ground they create? This system is dumb, just like there last attempt to control population.

If I cannot merge my 50's together someplace what is the freaking point?
"At last we will have our revenge" -Darth Maul
▄▄▄▄▄▄▼▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

WrecklessMEDIC
06.08.2012 , 10:56 AM | #1358
Nothing says any other "phase" will be "free". You're spreading that rumor around that other phases are free.
Do you really think they're going to go from highly restrictive free transfers directly into unrestricted paid transfers? With no changes to the service over time? Really?

All indications are pointing to multiple phases for the Character Transfer Service and only the last phase will be paid.

Celebrus
06.08.2012 , 10:58 AM | #1359
Quote: Originally Posted by PlagaNerezza View Post
The point is biowares stated message was create a character on a more populated server.
What???

Could you do me a favor and provide a source for that?

I don't remember them ever advising people to give up and re-roll, that was the community, not Bioware.

Celebrus
06.08.2012 , 10:59 AM | #1360
Do you really think they're going to go from highly restrictive free transfers directly into unrestricted paid transfers? With no changes to the service over time? Really?

All indications are pointing to multiple phases for the Character Transfer Service and only the last phase will be paid.
The only indiciations at the moment are that the restricted transfers will be free.

The end of their post indicates that unrestricted transfers MAY require a fee.

Seriously. Read the post you keep linking in it's entirety. I honestly cannot fathom where you are pulling the idea that unrestricted transfers will for sure be free.