Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

-Dench's Avatar


-Dench
06.08.2012 , 09:37 AM | #1321
From the looks of it, this is simply a marketing move.

1. Offer transfers that are highly limited. Some servers (European RP-PVP) are presumably not eligible for transfers based off of information from BW.
2. This offer will make the fanboys and apologists glow with excitement, as they can now troll the forums with "i told you so", "BW cares!", "now you guys have nothing to complain about!" Etc.
3. People who have toons on multiple servers as a result of rerolls still will have toons on multiple servers.
4. Transfer system is intentionally limited in order to have a market for paid transfers down the road from now.


So, like clock work, the fanboys are doing back flips in joy, the casual player is either happy or not, and the people in RP-PVP servers get screwed.


but its ok. The same people who were saying "OMG JUST SHUT UP AND RE ROLL ON A NEW SERVER" are getting porked much harder than the RP-PVP players are. Congratulations. You advocated for people to reroll, and months later (in some cases almost 6) you still will have your toons scattered across dead servers.


Fantastic.


Break out your wallets, boys. Get ready for it.
New England Bay - NE|B - A New England based guild http://newenglandbay.com/

cipher_nemo's Avatar


cipher_nemo
06.08.2012 , 09:40 AM | #1322
Quote: Originally Posted by psi_overtake View Post
He said "Am I ever"

I do read. maybe you can't
"Ever" is vague. It could be in the context of this free server merge, as in "is Bioware ever going to change its free server transfer policy", or in the context of all time as you assumed. There was no condition to narrow that word. If you want to pick apart every little thing, please feel free to join a debate forums instead. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. You could have easily added onto my reply and mentioned the additional transfers in the future that may or may not be free instead of just argued with me over and over again in regards to your own limited views.

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
06.08.2012 , 09:42 AM | #1323
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
"Ever" is vague. It could be in the context of this free server merge, as in "is Bioware ever going to change its free server transfer policy", or in the context of all time as you assumed. There was no condition to narrow that word. If you want to pick apart every little thing, please feel free to join a debate forums instead. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. You could have easily added onto my reply and mentioned the additional transfers in the future that may or may not be free instead of just argued with me over and over again in regards to your own limited views.
Now look who's grasping at straws...lol.

Adrianna's Avatar


Adrianna
06.08.2012 , 09:43 AM | #1324
Quote: Originally Posted by -Dench View Post
From the looks of it, this is simply a marketing move.

1. Offer transfers that are highly limited. Some servers (European RP-PVP) are presumably not eligible for transfers based off of information from BW.
2. This offer will make the fanboys and apologists glow with excitement, as they can now troll the forums with "i told you so", "BW cares!", "now you guys have nothing to complain about!" Etc.
3. People who have toons on multiple servers as a result of rerolls still will have toons on multiple servers.
4. Transfer system is intentionally limited in order to have a market for paid transfers down the road from now.


So, like clock work, the fanboys are doing back flips in joy, the casual player is either happy or not, and the people in RP-PVP servers get screwed.


but its ok. The same people who were saying "OMG JUST SHUT UP AND RE ROLL ON A NEW SERVER" are getting porked much harder than the RP-PVP players are. Congratulations. You advocated for people to reroll, and months later (in some cases almost 6) you still will have your toons scattered across dead servers.


Fantastic.


Break out your wallets, boys. Get ready for it.
You hit the nail in the head!! thank you for this post
banana

Buche's Avatar


Buche
06.08.2012 , 09:44 AM | #1325
Quote: Originally Posted by -Dench View Post
From the looks of it, this is simply a marketing move.

1. Offer transfers that are highly limited. Some servers (European RP-PVP) are presumably not eligible for transfers based off of information from BW.
2. This offer will make the fanboys and apologists glow with excitement, as they can now troll the forums with "i told you so", "BW cares!", "now you guys have nothing to complain about!" Etc.
3. People who have toons on multiple servers as a result of rerolls still will have toons on multiple servers.
4. Transfer system is intentionally limited in order to have a market for paid transfers down the road from now.


So, like clock work, the fanboys are doing back flips in joy, the casual player is either happy or not, and the people in RP-PVP servers get screwed.


but its ok. The same people who were saying "OMG JUST SHUT UP AND RE ROLL ON A NEW SERVER" are getting porked much harder than the RP-PVP players are. Congratulations. You advocated for people to reroll, and months later (in some cases almost 6) you still will have your toons scattered across dead servers.


Fantastic.


Break out your wallets, boys. Get ready for it.
I'm happy with it... I waited out the que times when they were 45min to an hour to get on because i knew something like this would happen, did they say reroll sure but did you have to? no, so again i go with its not BWs fault you have several toons on different servers YOU made the choice to reroll instead of waiting
Bobbybuche
Leader of Altercation
www.altercation-inc.com

psi_overtake's Avatar


psi_overtake
06.08.2012 , 09:46 AM | #1326
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
"Ever" is vague. It could be in the context of this free server merge, as in "is Bioware ever going to change its free server transfer policy", or in the context of all time as you assumed. There was no condition to narrow that word. If you want to pick apart every little thing, please feel free to join a debate forums instead. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. You could have easily added onto my reply and mentioned the additional transfers in the future that may or may not be free instead of just argued with me over and over again in regards to your own limited views.
I am not. The poster asked if he would ever be able to transfer his characters to one server. BW said that they will open up transfers in the future (presumably by the end of the year) where he will be able to do this. If he had read that, he would've known the answer to his question.

YOU said that according to BW, he will not be able to. Why you would do that, I don't know, but you did. And instead of admitting to your mistake, you attack me and leave your answer the way it is, which can only serve to misinform whoever reads it.

Don't provide wrong answers and then attack me for actually answering the person in an honest and correct manner. That's messed up, and other people can easily see how messed up that is
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.08.2012 , 09:50 AM | #1327
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

2. Yes, you will have to:
  • Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
  • Disband the Guild.
  • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
  • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Are you flipping kidding me?! Dude...why on earth do you think this is smart?!

You're asking us to disband our guilds to move?! WHY!? We can't send out a guild wide mail, you're demand means we won't even be able to leave behind a simple MOTD...Please explain to me how the hell people are going to find us if our guild name changes and our character names change?! Why would you POSSIBLY have us disband the old guild?!

Your lack of any concern for guilds is GREATLY troubling to me Joveth. You don't seem to care, even a LITTLE bit, about all we've done to keep your game and communities going, with absolutely the bare minimum of support from you.

This is ridiculous Joveth....absolutely ridiculous! Disbanding the old guild is just a moronic requirement.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 free transfer/7-day sub/Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

burdyt's Avatar


burdyt
06.08.2012 , 09:53 AM | #1328
Could you clarify, what exactly are your intentions with the character transfer service?
a) Spread the existing population more evenly across all servers
b) concentrate the existing population on less servers
Considering the decline in subscriptions (-25 %) you'd assume that your aim is b). 25 % less players, you can cut 25 % of the servers. But then it would be logical to simply merge some low pop servers to create bigger servers with more players. In that case it would make no sense to offer optional transfers. If a server has a low population allowing players to leave the server would only increase that problem. So it seems like you aim for a). But why would anyone on a high population server want to leave that server and go to low population server?

So could you please elaborate, what is your ultimate goal with the character transfers?

-Dench's Avatar


-Dench
06.08.2012 , 09:56 AM | #1329
Quote: Originally Posted by Buche View Post
I'm happy with it... I waited out the que times when they were 45min to an hour to get on because i knew something like this would happen, did they say reroll sure but did you have to? no, so again i go with its not BWs fault you have several toons on different servers YOU made the choice to reroll instead of waiting
Oh, I didnt reroll. I knew better than that!
New England Bay - NE|B - A New England based guild http://newenglandbay.com/

Aerich's Avatar


Aerich
06.08.2012 , 10:00 AM | #1330
As much as transfers and increasing server pops can be a good and healthy thing for the game, I beg Bioware to keep in mind that there are servers out there that already have plenty of people on it and please PLEASE don't allow transfers to these servers - free, paid or otherwise.

While having a massive pop is awesome for running Flashpoints on the new Group Finder tool, let's keep in mind that the vast majority of the content in this game is quests and the vast majority of quests are not phased. Already on my server several planets are maddeningly frustrating to quest on due to population. It's bad on the end-game planets too - ever try to do dailies with 40+ on Ilum? Yeah.. thankfully I normally play during my server's "off-time" cuz if I had to deal with that every day I would seriously quit. The planets may be massive but the truth is they really can't handle a large population all attempting to do the same content.

I understand there are a lot of servers out there underpopulated - maybe even most - and I'm glad you poor guys can finally get a solution. I just want Bio to acknowledge there are a couple out there that are far from under populated (some days I'd even go so far as to classify them as over populated) and to please keep us in mind too when making transfer decisions.
Making plans is a good way to hear god laugh