Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lord_Karsk
06.06.2012 , 12:52 PM | #121
Awesome !!

kilosoldier
06.06.2012 , 12:53 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
It's not the best answer because merges, in the past, have always been incredibly buggy at best, rendered the game unplayable for most at worst. And here we have a game that is complicated with Legacy, which makes merges more complicated than any other MMO.

No thanks.

Rift's solution last year was the best, most smooth solution ever. Transfer, then eventually shut down servers. Transfers have yet to actually disrupt communities/guilds in other MMOs, and to expect it suddenly, magically will here is to fly in the face of history.
Rift alos lost a lot of players that were interested in returning because of the exact reason I brought up.

Care to give some citations to back \up your "doom and gloom" concerning server merges?

dagrouch
06.06.2012 , 12:53 PM | #123
So if I have a level 25 legacy on Server A, and a level 16 legacy guy on Server B, and transfer from B to A? Do I completely lose all 16 of those legacy levels experience I obtained on Server B?

Alxandria
06.06.2012 , 12:54 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by kilosoldier View Post
I love how its because "I want them too"

Get a grip.

You really think people are enjoying playing on "dead" servers and want to stay there to "preserve" their names?
Um, that's me. I have a small circle of friends who play, I play with then and only with them. We have our guild, I have my name, I'm having fun and not feeling like I am missing out on content. I'd stay on a 'dead' server and avoid the hassle, or risk losing my favorite names which is part of how I enjoy the game.

Tuscad
06.06.2012 , 12:54 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzi View Post
Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.
I am not paying for your screw ups, BEAware. If I can't transfer without a fee and my server dies I will leave the game (I am on my 3rd one and I am not doing it again) I have given you enough. Hopefully it won't come to this but I am skeptical about your intentions with these transfers when looking at the above quoted line.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Grammarye
06.06.2012 , 12:54 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzi View Post
So either they will allow people to change server types (PvE to PvP for instance) or they won't. As this is currently not supported under the arbitrary restrictions--and they are arbitrary--logic dictates that they may allow server-type transfers in the future and that these transfers may require a fee.

Am I supposed to believe that it's just a coincidence that many people want to transfer from a PvP server to a PvE server (or vice versa) but can't, only to have the option to do so later for a fee?
You seem bent on complaining at any sort of fee being charged for anything. As I said, plenty of other MMOs not only do this, but it's not the cause of a small nuclear outcry when they do (and note that TOR hasn't yet stated as to what will be charged for, so not only is it an outcry but an unfounded one). I am intrigued at the odd standards being applied. They have indicated they're providing transfers to sort out population (note: population, not 'I rolled on the wrong server') for free.

Even WoW charges $25 for a transfer. Why should TOR do differently? What is in their interests to do so? They're doing these ones for free as it is. Why should every transfer be free? What sort of carnage might that inflict?
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Dakia
06.06.2012 , 12:54 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by dagrouch View Post
So if I have a level 25 legacy on Server A, and a level 16 legacy guy on Server B, and transfer from B to A? Do I completely lose all 16 of those legacy levels experience I obtained on Server B?
From my understanding, yes.

The legacy level 25 will overwrite, not be additive.

Rayla_Felana
06.06.2012 , 12:54 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by dagrouch View Post
Your Legacy level becomes or stays whichever legacy was the highest level.

RangerBeo
06.06.2012 , 12:55 PM | #129
Great write-up...awesome news.....and Thank you

Balrizangor
06.06.2012 , 12:55 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by KPureblade View Post
One question and one comment:

The question:
Will these free server transfers be available to inactive subscriptions? I have friends that used to play that don't anymore, but they could again one day. They are willing to transfer if they don't have to activate their subscription. Similarly, if they don't, if they ever did come back they would be coming back to a dead server. A guess a more important question is do these free transfers EXPIRE?

The comment:
I wish their were a seniority system in place for character/legacy names. I know its selfish, but I created my main on day one of pre-order early access. I'll be quite sad if I lose my character name due to transferring... but it won't be the first time its happened in an MMO.
If these friends aren't playing/subbing, I don't think any game company would care if their characters get transferred. There isn't a seniority system in place, this is normal for any MMO that has server moves, sadly if your name is taken, you'll have to rename.
In umbris potestas est ("In the shadows, there is power")

Why Haven't They Fixed My Bug?? - I'm not the Author but it is a great read.