Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cipher_nemo's Avatar


cipher_nemo
06.08.2012 , 08:06 AM | #1281
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
Sauska and Ramladon, my thoughts *exactly*. I have about 80 people and about double that many toons to coordinate. I think guild transfer is going to be an annoyance. Not a death sentence, not something to lose sleep over, not the end of the guild, just an annoyance.
It may be a death sentence to my guild's interest in TOR (not to us as a gaming community) where we 1.) don't have that many people actively playing TOR these days, since they're waiting for new content, etc. and 2.) might stay put instead of transferring since moving all of our guild bank items and such out to characters is a royal PITA. Possibly not enough characters to hold everything. If we had to make alts to hold stuff, then that's even more work to assign privs, etc. It's just one big frackin' PITA. And if we do this, we'd be disbanding the guild we have and putting our faith and trust in Bioware to get things working right on the new server. I'm sorry, but I just don't trust Bioware that much, especially after this PR fiasco of server transfers.

Our only salvation at this point is to hope Bioware makes our pre-launch server a destination rather than an origin for transfers. At least if/until Bioware decides to get their act together and offer smoother transfers.

Scorpienne's Avatar


Scorpienne
06.08.2012 , 08:17 AM | #1282
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
It may be a death sentence to my guild's interest in TOR (not to us as a gaming community) where we 1.) don't have that many people actively playing TOR these days, since they're waiting for new content, etc. and 2.) might stay put instead of transferring since moving all of our guild bank items and such out to characters is a royal PITA.
Then, sir, it has become apparent, your hyperbole aside, that we agree on the following, as so aptly stated by Ramladon and Sauska...

Quote: Originally Posted by Ramladon View Post
If your guild is so weak that you can't survive a simple transfer then your guild has bigger issues then just moving.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
That says more about your guild than the transfer service...
I guess there's just something different about the guilds that expect they will have game-ending problems and the guilds that expect that the problems are completely surmountable. /shrug Maybe we're just improvise-adapt-overcome types. Maybe we eat more fiber. Maybe it's a serotonin thing. Maybe it's because my guild tends to be a little older that the general pop on our server. I just don't know.

I have no clue as to why we can look at the same situation and come to completely different estimates of what it will mean in the future. You're not going to change my mind. I'm not going to change your mind. It's cool.

That reminds me... no breakfast this morning. I think I'll go eat a fiber bar...

Paige

PS. If our guild bank has too much stuff, and 4 tabs in it probably does, then I'll open it up completely and ask my guildies to clean it out. We've got plenty of toons to do this. Then I'll ask them to redeposit it on the new server. I have people I trust, so it's not an issue. If some go AWOL, then that's cool too. It's just money and items. We have plenty of crafters...

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
06.08.2012 , 08:19 AM | #1283
Quote: Originally Posted by InnerPieces View Post
There is no mention of potentially allowing more free transfers to solve the rest of the issue they created.
Actually, yes they have mentioned further phases of free transfers with less restrictions. This is just the first phase and is only meant to fix the population issues. You will have an opportunity to transfer across server types and multiple servers for free..... wait for it..... Later.

The unlimited paid transfers are waay down the line.

InnerPieces's Avatar


InnerPieces
06.08.2012 , 08:20 AM | #1284
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Alxandria
I have a question:
How will we be affected (if any) if say we are on an origin server, but have no desire to move, either because we like small servers, or we just don't want to deal with the xfer process?

Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman
You are not required to move when transfers become available; it's your choice if you'd like to stay on your server.
I beg to differ, Allison. Choice, in this case, is an illusion. That is like me putting a gun to my head with having every intention of living and saying I have a choice to pull the trigger or not. Are we to believe that BioWare will keep a server live if the population dropped to, say, 30 people? Sure, there is a choice: live or die. To most, that is no choice at all (and I can say most because otherwise most of us would be dead). You can either transfer for free now and continue to play or you can pay for a transfer later or stop playing. It just doesn't feel like much of a choice to me.

Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by joeypesci
My question is, can all of my 8 characters that are on one server move or only one of them?

Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman
If your server becomes eligible for free character transfers, you'll be able to move all your characters from that server onto the destination server.
-----
Allison, thanks for answering the first part of the question. It is good to know we can move all of our characters to the new server. You did not specify, however, if we can leave one or two characters behind.

Thank you.
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

Rogoo's Avatar


Rogoo
06.08.2012 , 08:21 AM | #1285
I'm a bit lost at this point because It seems to me that they take every possible ocassion to make things worse.

Ok, so we've been waiting for the transfers for how long ? Three months ? Three months I've been leveling alts in hopes of having an actual endgame experience on a POPULATED server.

Only to have Bioware say: "Hahaha! You rolled on a RP-PvP server so it's YOUR FAULT. We're not going to allow you to transfer to a server of your choice because we RESPECT THE RULESETS. The only thing we don't respect is your FREEDOM OF CHOICE. You have to stay on a low population server FOREVER because you know... WE RESPECT THE RULESETS!".

Can't think of a better way to make your customers angry and unsubscribe.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Skullbash's Avatar


Skullbash
06.08.2012 , 08:25 AM | #1286
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogoo View Post
I'm a bit lost at this point because It seems to me that they take every possible ocassion to make things worse.

Ok, so we've been waiting for the transfers for how long ? Three months ? Three months I've been leveling alts in hopes of having an actual endgame experience on a POPULATED server.

Only to have Bioware say: "Hahaha! You rolled on a RP-PvP server so it's YOUR FAULT. We're not going to allow you to transfer to a server of your choice because we RESPECT THE RULESETS. The only thing we don't respect is your FREEDOM OF CHOICE. You have to stay on a low population server FOREVER because you know... WE RESPECT THE RULESETS!".

Can't think of a better way to make your customers angry and unsubscribe.
Yep, the same-server type only transfer is the last straw for me, I'm unsubbed.

I think this game deserves to fail at this point.

Maccaz's Avatar


Maccaz
06.08.2012 , 08:26 AM | #1287
Quite looking forward to these transfers, but got one question which I didn't see while browsing this post.

Have they announced how many servers are they going to give transfers to on the 1st phase?
C E User

Do you fear death? Do you fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bare, all your sins punished? I can offer you…an escape

Seregul's Avatar


Seregul
06.08.2012 , 08:26 AM | #1288
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogoo View Post
I'm a bit lost at this point because It seems to me that they take every possible ocassion to make things worse.

Ok, so we've been waiting for the transfers for how long ? Three months ? Three months I've been leveling alts in hopes of having an actual endgame experience on a POPULATED server.

Only to have Bioware say: "Hahaha! You rolled on a RP-PvP server so it's YOUR FAULT. We're not going to allow you to transfer to a server of your choice because we RESPECT THE RULESETS. The only thing we don't respect is your FREEDOM OF CHOICE. You have to stay on a low population server FOREVER because you know... WE RESPECT THE RULESETS!".

Can't think of a better way to make your customers angry and unsubscribe.
Hopefully it's just an oversight on their part.

InnerPieces's Avatar


InnerPieces
06.08.2012 , 08:27 AM | #1289
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
Actually, yes they have mentioned further phases of "free" transfers with less restrictions. This is just the first phase and is only meant to fix the population issues. You will have an opportunity to transfer across server types and multiple servers for "free"..... wait for it..... Later.

The unlimited paid transfers are waay down the line.
Actually, no. The phases they mention are in regard to this transfer, not future transfers:

"This process will be gradual and staged over time. Despite huge improvements being made to the Character Transfer Service by our server team, there are millions of characters to be moved and there is a limit to how many can be moved daily. We want your character to be transferred as quickly as possible, but we will need you to be patient as the process completes."

That all pertains to this "first wave" of transfers, not future transfers.

"We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee."

Where, exactly, did they mention "further phases of "free" transfers with less restrictions." No matter how many times I re-read the actual information an official representative of BioWare provided, I cannot find a specific mention of "further phases of "free" transfers with less restrictions."

I do see plenty of "may's", however, so it is always possible, but you should try to not speak with certainty about things you cannot possibly be certain about.

Thanks!
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
06.08.2012 , 08:28 AM | #1290
Quote: Originally Posted by Skullbash View Post
Yep, the same-server type only transfer is the last straw for me, I'm unsubbed.
Have patience young Padawan. This is only the first phase of free transfers. The next round will be less restrictive and yes, still free.