Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

InnerPieces
06.08.2012 , 07:05 AM | #1271
Quote: Originally Posted by EricJS View Post
After they're done with this, they'll probably have time to set up more flexible transfers, but right now we have a tool to deal with a narrowly defined problem.
Yes, where they charge us (likely more than a month's subscription - based on other prominent MMOs) to help compensate for those subscriptions they've lost and will lose after next week.

They could have chosen to solve multiple problems in one shot with the server transfers. The only explanation I can see for why they are doing it as they are is an attempt to create a burst of income from paid transfers to get a boost right when they want it as opposed to gradually building and maintaining a steadily increasing income source.

That's typical of many businesses, especially in this particular industry. It's frustrating and insulting.

If there is another reason I would love BioWare to post it. Nothing a player says will be convincing. I am curious though. if I am wrong, exactly what is the point of doing this so half-way. Speaking strictly from a business perspective, it is far easier and cheaper to retain current customers than it is to obtain new customers and far cheaper and easier than winning back former customers. Hence, one of the many arguments for doing it right the first time.

No, I am not threatening to take my 1, insignificant account away. I'm just expressing my frustration.
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

InnerPieces
06.08.2012 , 07:06 AM | #1272
Quote: Originally Posted by TimVickey View Post
RP-PVP servers are most likely *always* the least populated servers in any MMO. If you rolled on one of these thinking you'd have 500 online at a time, you sound to me like you're new to online gaming. Merging all three RP-PVPs together probably will bring you to a population level still at what you expected. This is more a situation of server type and player style than anything BioWare can do for you on populations.
It's not just about RP-PVP... it's about being able to cross the imaginary line between server type. I am not on a RP-PVP server currently and I still have issues with not crossing the imaginary line.
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

Rogoo
06.08.2012 , 07:31 AM | #1273
Quote: Originally Posted by -Dench View Post
Aren't there any concerns on your end that combining all of the RP-PVP servers still will not have enough players to have a large and very active place to play in? There is a lot of grumbling going on from players like myself who are in slow RP-PVP servers.
This is exactly my concern. Like I said - please consider different options in the future.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

TimVickey
06.08.2012 , 07:35 AM | #1274
Quote: Originally Posted by InnerPieces View Post
They could have chosen to solve multiple problems in one shot with the server transfers. The only explanation I can see for why they are doing it as they are is an attempt to create a burst of income from paid transfers to get a boost right when they want it as opposed to gradually building and maintaining a steadily increasing income source.

That's typical of many businesses, especially in this particular industry. It's frustrating and insulting.

If there is another reason I would love BioWare to post it. Nothing a player says will be convincing. I am curious though. if I am wrong, exactly what is the point of doing this so half-way. Speaking strictly from a business perspective, it is far easier and cheaper to retain current customers than it is to obtain new customers and far cheaper and easier than winning back former customers. Hence, one of the many arguments for doing it right the first time.

No, I am not threatening to take my 1, insignificant account away. I'm just expressing my frustration.
They have posted it.

Initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished, or to a variety of different servers. However, on a massive scale, this free-for-all approach causes potential problems. Players who are anxious to ensure they end up on a heavily populated server will naturally flock to what is perceived as the 'biggest' server, potentially over-populating that server. This eventually leads to the exact situation we're trying to move away from. Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...ations-and-you

Dragonexadon
06.08.2012 , 07:39 AM | #1275
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hey smithre, thank you for your post. I actually did address this in an earlier post:

"Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed.[/B]"
While I agree this is awesome. I still believe players DO need to worry about rushing to transfer. Legacy name, player names, and guild names are all at risk

I REALLY wish Bioware would put a priority to the guilds that took the time to preregister their names prior to game release and are still active to this day.
FORCE EFFECT
|US-East || PVP Server || Casual Guild || End Game Operations & PVP
http://www.force-effect.net/

RangerRobEU
06.08.2012 , 07:47 AM | #1276
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramladon View Post
There are lots of people that have been talking about how this will muck with guilds. I have a guild of 100 plus accounts and it still isn't hard to get the info out to people for server transfers to relink in a new server. Between vent/ teamspeak, or mumble and your guild website there should be no issues with reforming the guild on a new server.
I don't understand the guild transfer complications people talk about either to be honest, seems like lack of thinking outside the box (or even thinking logically) in many cases. I agree it could be smoother, especially in relation to guild banks, but honestly it's not that difficult to formulate a plan for the move if you want to.

There will only be ONE destination available for your people to transfer to. Use your Guild Message to tell people who to contact on the destination server for an invitation - once you have formed the destination guild set your Guild Message to tell people the name if it doesn't match your old name.

Anybody logging in to your old server (even 3 months later) will still be able to see the guild message and if they want to transfer and join you they will. If they decide not to join you, well that's their choice as long as you make sure they have the information they'd need left available for them after you've transferred.

Thanatus
06.08.2012 , 07:48 AM | #1277
Quote: Originally Posted by Eitri View Post
Can anyone give me a good justification for using existing servers as destinations instead of creating new ones? It seems like doing it that way solves several problems brought up in this thread. The only justification I can see is that BW doesn't want their stats in torstatus to look worse than they currently do.
What is more reliable: add a new line into your existing subway system, which has been optimized continuously by small adjustments in the past, or built a complete new subway system, in which you'll have no idea how timetables, rush hour, connections etc will play out?
<Tomb of Freedon Nadd> - Imperial Legends

Scorpienne
06.08.2012 , 07:56 AM | #1278
Quote: Originally Posted by -Dench View Post
Talked with my Guild Officers about this last night, we anticipate losing over 50% of the guild if we move next week. 150 toons, around 50 unique players, I suspect we will only see 20-25 come over.
Quote: Originally Posted by Drom View Post
Are you kidding me? So there's absolutely NO system for guild transfer.... I don't think my guild will survive if we have to move.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramladon View Post
If your guild is so weak that you can't survive a simple transfer then your guild has bigger issues then just moving.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
That says more about your guild than the transfer service...
Sauska and Ramladon, my thoughts *exactly*. I have about 80 people and about double that many toons to coordinate. I think guild transfer is going to be an annoyance. Not a death sentence, not something to lose sleep over, not the end of the guild, just an annoyance. We'll have to reverify character names with usernames on our external website and then reform the guild in-game with hopefully some variant of our original name and then re-/ginvite everyone. Super-annoying for maybe even a couple of weeks, but that's about it... heck, might even be funny after a while.

I've been annoyed before. It turned out all right.

Paige

cipher_nemo
06.08.2012 , 08:00 AM | #1279
Quote: Originally Posted by thendavesaid View Post
So, I created a new character on a new server after I realized my original server was dead. Am I ever going to be able to consolidate my characters from both servers onto one server/legacy?
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
According to Bioware, no. Awesome "server transfers", huh?
Quote: Originally Posted by psi_overtake View Post
This is simply wrong. Why do you spread misinformation like that? You're simply and undeniably wrong.
Before people start foaming at the mouth, let me remind you that these "free" server transfers do not allow character consolidation from multiple servers onto one server. Since "thendavesaid" was asking in this thread in regards to the recent news of free server transfers, the answer is no. If we're talking about the future, where we may have paid transfers, then the answer might be yes, but we don't know yet. So please, before the fanboys start attacking everyone, step back and look at the context.

InnerPieces
06.08.2012 , 08:00 AM | #1280
Quote: Originally Posted by TimVickey View Post
They have posted it.

Initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished, or to a variety of different servers. However, on a massive scale, this free-for-all approach causes potential problems. Players who are anxious to ensure they end up on a heavily populated server will naturally flock to what is perceived as the 'biggest' server, potentially over-populating that server. This eventually leads to the exact situation we're trying to move away from. Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...ations-and-you
Okay. I admit I overlooked that and thank you for taking the time and effort of re-quoting it for me.

I disagree that it is the entire reason since they know many people are just as concerned about where they end up and who they end up with (not just about their dwindling population) and are only solving a part of the overall problem. There is no mention of potentially allowing more free transfers to solve the rest of the issue they created. Many of these issues were created by the random server choices of pre-made guilds before pre-launch (and many of those initial servers are now dying, btw). They only mention this round of free transfers and then a paid option. I know things may change and, in fact, the entire point of posting here is to encourage change. I don't know anyone who actively wants top pay extra to solve an issue they did not create. I know a few who are willing to. I know of far more people who (claim) they will just stop playing instead. None of us want that.

Thanks again, though. You did address my comment directly and I appreciate that.
Quote: