Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dezzi
06.06.2012 , 12:39 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by danpen View Post
Hello there Dezzi,

Can you tell me what you mean about a Transfer fee i do not know what you mean.
Under "Next Step" about half-way through:
Quote:
Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

Celebrus
06.06.2012 , 12:39 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Exactly.
Well, I also didn't say it would "never" happen.

I simply meant that it's not going to be in conjunction with their first wave of server transfers, it's going to leave a lot of servers even more dead than they were before, and depending on how quickly they alter the eligibility of certain servers, this could really be a disaster in the making for people that actually like playing with the friends they've made to this point.

It's not looking as smooth as you're making it out to be JC. But thats pretty much par for the course.

tegororn
06.06.2012 , 12:40 PM | #103
Thank you at last, Elvis was about to leave the building.

Rayla_Felana
06.06.2012 , 12:41 PM | #104
Hello, my only real question is:

All the characters I play are on The Red Eclipse EU, as far as I know that is a heavily populated server, all I want to do is move one character from Dune Bantha EU to that server so I have all my characters on one server.

Would this be possible or am I forced to move that character and all my others to one destination server so I can have them all.

dagrouch
06.06.2012 , 12:41 PM | #105
Honestly, outside of the date, they could've released a lot of this information long time ago to deal with the people who were increasingly frustrated with dead servers over night and quit. I totally get that you can't release information before it's final, but I am pretty sure they had an idea on how they were going to handle this long time ago, but yet choose to keep that information.

BW needs to realize more transparency is needed, especially when 90% of the forum posts are complaints.

YoshiRaphElan
06.06.2012 , 12:42 PM | #106
Hmm. I know Jedi Covenant is a great server, but I'm looking to transfer my Chiss away so I can create a separate Chiss-only Legacy on another server. Hopefully I can leave Jedi Covenant. *fingers crossed*

Grammarye
06.06.2012 , 12:42 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaje View Post
Yup, as someone has already stated here, this stinks of a money grab.
As opposed to all the other MMOs where arbitrary server transfers are entirely free...

Of course they're going to charge for some circumstances. Speculating in advance as to what and assuming that it will be your circumstance that gets charged for is just that - speculation & unfounded. By all means criticise when that is what is said, but it hasn't been said yet!
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

kilosoldier
06.06.2012 , 12:42 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
Forcing players to change servers and rename their characters just because you want them to doesn't sound like the greatest business move in history, does it?
I love how its because "I want them too"

Get a grip.

You really think people are enjoying playing on "dead" servers and want to stay there to "preserve" their names?

KPureblade
06.06.2012 , 12:43 PM | #109
One question and one comment:

The question:
Will these free server transfers be available to inactive subscriptions? I have friends that used to play that don't anymore, but they could again one day. They are willing to transfer if they don't have to activate their subscription. Similarly, if they don't, if they ever did come back they would be coming back to a dead server. A guess a more important question is do these free transfers EXPIRE?

The comment:
I wish their were a seniority system in place for character/legacy names. I know its selfish, but I created my main on day one of pre-order early access. I'll be quite sad if I lose my character name due to transferring... but it won't be the first time its happened in an MMO.

Infalliable
06.06.2012 , 12:43 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaje View Post
Yup, as someone has already stated here, this stinks of a money grab.
yes, but it also prevents a wild dash to Fatman, Harbinger, Covenant, etc.

A server would have to hit a critical mass of people to become an attractive destination in a free for all transfer system. However, nobody wants to go to a server that hasn't hit that critical mass. So you'll end up with everyone on ~4-6 servers because those already have high populations and nobody wants to go to any other.