Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WrecklessMEDIC
06.07.2012 , 02:38 PM | #1031
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
You're making the assumption (azz out of u and me) that everyone would got to Fatman. I sure as heck wouldn't. I'd like an active server, but not a full/packed server.

Also, you're assuming that they'd keep letting more and more people pile into a full server. If the server is "full" they wouldn't allow any more transfers to that server until it's no longer full. Problem solved.
You will get to choose whatever server you want later. But, for the moment they have to have restrictions or it will be utter chaos for server populations.

DarthNuke
06.07.2012 , 02:39 PM | #1032
Dear Bioware,

Don't delay this because some people are worried about nitnoid stuff. They don't have to transfer. Too many people are on dead servers. Set my people free.

Thanks!

Love,
Darth Ditka

Tuscad
06.07.2012 , 02:42 PM | #1033
Quote: Originally Posted by Buche View Post
again you didnt have to, it was your choice
Sure we could have unsubbed en masse and had the game go under, looks like enough unsubbed anyway because we have to do the transfers now.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

cipher_nemo
06.07.2012 , 02:44 PM | #1034
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
You will get to choose whatever server you want later. But, for the moment they have to have restrictions or it will be utter chaos for server populations.
But NOT for free. And only after guilds are potentially fragmented as a result of this transfer-on-rails where they don't move guilds at all. People have to re-create, rename, etc.

I'm not all that picky about the server I'm on. But it would be nice to be on a server where doing a PUG isn't an exercise in futility. I am really more concerned with how this free move is taking place and how it's a total fubar for guilds, alliances, etc.

In the end, I'm the customer, you're the customer, and every other player here is the customer. But we're being the ones stuck with doing Bioware's work. Their inflexibility is driving subscribers away. It's contributing exactly to the stigma Bioware has for making poor choices about TOR.

samikf
06.07.2012 , 02:45 PM | #1035
Quote: Originally Posted by Buche View Post
again you didnt have to, it was your choice
I put in an effort just for you. I logged in with my main for the first time in a while. It is a legacy level 17 character that I apparently will not be playing again. It is prime time in EU. There are six (6) people in fleet.

So while you are technically right, it was my choice to reroll. You are also in the context of this discussion not quite that right: There really was no choice if I wanted to actually play. So the choice was not play (warzones, ops etc) or reroll.

And now Bioware thinks it is quite all right to add insult to injury and not let me merge my characters.

Also, the discussion is polarized. The apologists say that the restrictions put in are the only way, because restrictions are needed. That is not correct. There can be restrictions to achieve a goal - say not crows The Fatman more. Simply do not allow transfers to The Fatman except for the people that had a level X character there this morning. Problem solved and many other problems could be solved with a little less harsh restrictions. Also, before the twisting of words start: Yes, they would probably need other restrictions.

But there is a long way from having necessary restrictions to achieve goals to having no flexibility at all. There is room for real solutions here.

Tuscad
06.07.2012 , 02:47 PM | #1036
Quote: Originally Posted by samikf View Post
I put in an effort just for you. I logged in with my main for the first time in a while. It is a legacy level 17 character that I apparently will not be playing again. It is prime time in EU. There are six (6) people in fleet.

So while you are technically right, it was my choice to reroll. You are also in the context of this discussion not quite that right: There really was no choice if I wanted to actually play. So the choice was not play (warzones, ops etc) or reroll.

And now Bioware thinks it is quite all right to add insult to injury and not let me merge my characters.

Also, the discussion is polarized. The apologists say that the restrictions put in are the only way, because restrictions are needed. That is not correct. There can be restrictions to achieve a goal - say not crows The Fatman more. Simply do not allow transfers to The Fatman except for the people that had a level X character there this morning. Problem solved and many other problems could be solved with a little less harsh restrictions. Also, before the twisting of words start: Yes, they would probably need other restrictions.

But there is a long way from having necessary restrictions to achieve goals to having no flexibility at all. There is room for real solutions here.
I feel that the nail has been hit right on the head and is in the board.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Kothe
06.07.2012 , 02:48 PM | #1037
From the announcement: "We can tell you that all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa!"

I haven't read all the posts...just throwing out my question/opinion.

Why? What if someone wants to transfer to PvP or PvE? It almost sounds like you can request to transfer and then the system will decide to what new server you are getting dropped into. Maybe I misread or reading too much into it. That is the only reason I can see for them not allowing it. Again, I am probably missing something.

I know of one person that would leave a PvE to join us on PvP....if there is one, surely there are others that would want to.

They should have done a survey about server transfers...as well as many other things but hey, TOR employees have a proven track record on what is best for us.

Ardicus
06.07.2012 , 02:49 PM | #1038
This is going to get interesting real fast! especially for recruitment.
"The force alone can't stop them, you still need willpower"

cipher_nemo
06.07.2012 , 02:51 PM | #1039
Quote: Originally Posted by samikf View Post
The apologists say that the restrictions put in are the only way, because restrictions are needed. That is not correct.
QFT.

There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of ways to handle this sort of transfer. And so far, Bioware has made all of the most limiting, most annoying, most pain-inducing decisions possible short of allowing no transfers at all. I couldn't possibly devise a strategy that is more totalitarian than their current plan.

There is absolute freedom, which is really anarchy, and no one is suggesting that. Yet there are numerous ways to handle server transfers that can mix a good balance of flexibility and restrictions. Bioware isn't even in that ballpark yet.

Ardicus
06.07.2012 , 02:52 PM | #1040
Quote: Originally Posted by Kothe View Post
From the announcement: "We can tell you that all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa!"

I haven't read all the posts...just throwing out my question/opinion.

Why? What if someone wants to transfer to PvP or PvE? It almost sounds like you can request to transfer and then the system will decide to what new server you are getting dropped into. Maybe I misread or reading too much into it. That is the only reason I can see for them not allowing it. Again, I am probably missing something.

I know of one person that would leave a PvE to join us on PvP....if there is one, surely there are others that would want to.

They should have done a survey about server transfers...as well as many other things but hey, TOR employees have a proven track record on what is best for us.
Well they are building a foundation for future MMOs , we just have to be patient and see what happens.. everyone can speculate this or that, but until the 12th we have to wait unfortunately, and selective servers to transfer too out of a select list (like most mmos do right now) isnt too bad an ideah to be honest.
"The force alone can't stop them, you still need willpower"