Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why TOR's storyline is so disappointing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why TOR's storyline is so disappointing?

Gooseguy
06.05.2012 , 01:46 PM | #1
It is simply because it has no consequences for whatever actions you choose. It doesn't really matter which option you pick, the next part of the story ends the exact same way for every choice. And it doesn't really matter which dialogue option you choose either, all you *maybe* get is a different response.

I mean you never get different gear, special items, credits, or anything of that sort based on storyline options, i think it's just kinda bland for a game that is a carbon copy of WOW (except the voiceovers ofcourse) to just have it stall out completely once u pick ur different option.

I mean if you are going to imbed story into an MMO or any game, for that matter, atleast make it feel like it's important right?

And don't even get me started on dark/light side... the only benefits too this are equipping RELICS? Or looking sick if ur too far into the darkside?

I remember in an interview prior too the games release, one of the developers was like... *You will be able too choose different options for your storyline in flashpoints, that will affect what *BOSSES* you fight inside it... And the only flashpoint for which it's available is in Black Talon LOL! 1 stinky boss with 0 twists too it anyway, making it such a joke too even implement and talk about honestly.

I mean so much hype about TOR's storyline, i just don't even see how it's impressive at all, doesn't even feel like it matters (which it doesn't apparently).

And for those who say, too give it time. It won't have ANY time or chance too improve if it's DEAD now will it? I think it's pretty obvious that thier first impression was what mattered most...

Kharnis
06.05.2012 , 01:48 PM | #2
You're speaking only for yourself, I'm afraid. I don't find the storyline disappointing at all. I'm rather impressed by it, actually. The game has a few flaws, but the story isn't one of them. For me, anyway.
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing:

Forgon
06.05.2012 , 01:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnis View Post
You're speaking only for yourself, I'm afraid. I don't find the storyline disappointing at all. I'm rather impressed by it, actually. The game has a few flaws, but the story isn't one of them. For me, anyway.
This.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

Mallorik
06.05.2012 , 01:50 PM | #4
Ive enjoyed all the class story lines ive played. And besides the need for crafting bots the class stories are the only real reason i have any alts.

Adding real consequenses just adds a whole new set of problems into a game, and those problems are compounded ten fold when the game is an MMO. Imo they fall into the category of "yeah it would be nice, but not feasable".

Valhingen
06.05.2012 , 01:51 PM | #5
The (class) stories are pretty good and stuff.

I agree that its disappointing that none of the converstation options really have any consequence worth mentioning. Also, I find they did bend the truth a bit prior to launch with their "its gonna be 8 games! 8 full stories like kotor 3+4+5+ etc"...its 2 full stories, republic and imperial...then there are 6 more shortstories coming along with 90% story you arlready know.

USMCjv
06.05.2012 , 01:55 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Valhingen View Post
The (class) stories are pretty good and stuff.

I agree that its disappointing that none of the converstation options really have any consequence worth mentioning. Also, I find they did bend the truth a bit prior to launch with their "its gonna be 8 games! 8 full stories like kotor 3+4+5+ etc"...its 2 full stories, republic and imperial...then there are 6 more shortstories coming along with 90% story you arlready know.
I agree with this

Oxiiimoron
06.05.2012 , 01:55 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnis View Post
I agree. I enjoy the Class Storylines. They're unique. Of course, when you go back and level Alts (I've done the Revanite questline 4 or 5 times, including beta testing) you learn to Spacebar through most of them.
The Goddess Legacy
Armonia - 55 - Corruption Sorcerer // Roxannie - 50 - Lightning Sorcerer
Cayleen - 55 - Bodyguard Bounty Hunter // Sa'fyre - 17 - Lethality Operative.

psi_overtake
06.05.2012 , 01:56 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
This.
This
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

trussasp
06.05.2012 , 01:59 PM | #9
I've worn out two buttons on my keyboard, <spacebar> and <1>
(unless I see an alignment choice I want on "2" or "3" that is)

If you don't get it, this has everything to do with the preceding posts in this thread.

Akkela
06.05.2012 , 02:04 PM | #10
I love the story!

The decisions you make in the story, are not so much about changing the outcome of your story, rather it is about the emotion behind those decisions.

There has been a lot of times while playing that I found myself stuck on a hard choice ('do I kill him, or let him go'). No matter what, that choice is not gong to alter the direction of the game or the story...but it allowed me to give my character a voice.