Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR to be Free To Play up to 15 in July..Honest opinions please

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR to be Free To Play up to 15 in July..Honest opinions please

Corinthar
06.04.2012 , 05:53 PM | #1
We've just been told that SWTOR will be F2P up to level 15 in July. What is your honest opinion of this move by EA? I can't imagine BioWare are happy with it and personally I see it as one step away from a move to a full Free To Play business model.

For me, that would lead to me to leave the game. I really liked LOTRO, but as soon as it went F2P I realised that the 'short-cut' option offered by the store would be too tempting, and I'd spend more than my 8.99 a month in frivolous purchases (have disposable income, will spend it )

Which is why F2P and associated micro transactions are so popular with EA titles, unfortunately

What's your take on it?

(Disclaimer: I know there have been other similar threads on this, but none have been targeted specifically at the community's opinions on the F2P news)
"You were meant to DESTROY the Sith, not JOIN them!" Master Obi-Wan throws his toys out of the pram at Anakin on Mustafar!

Drom
06.04.2012 , 05:55 PM | #2
I told you yesterday! And you all were like: NO! LucasArts would never allow that!

Welcome to reality
Dromfel, Imperial Agent (Operative lvl 50) | Imperator Mos | Sith Empire | Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU PvP server)

Stenrik
06.04.2012 , 05:56 PM | #3
Um, it's a trial. I'd imagine that you'd have to pay the same 50 bucks + monthly fee after the 15 levels. The only thing I worry about is that we'd have a bunch of lvl 10-15's crowding our lowbie warzones, but other than that, I don't really see how this is a big, gameshaking shift to F2P...

Besides, WoW does it... NUFF SAID.

Anomorn
06.04.2012 , 05:56 PM | #4
Free to play to level 15 is not a big deal at all.
Glowsticks of Nerf Dialogue
* World 3rd Tier Ⅰ Nightmare 16m * World 1st Tier Ⅱ Hard 8m *

darthdinosaur
06.04.2012 , 05:56 PM | #5
My opinion.... hello level 15 pvp twinking =)
Squadron 11-11-11

Come check out the twin conclave!!! http://thetwinconclave.enjin.com/

MaverickXIV
06.04.2012 , 05:57 PM | #6
This is entirely a non-issue. Limited free-to-play is practically a staple of the industry now. It's healthy for both this game as well as gaming in general.

spnzx
06.04.2012 , 05:57 PM | #7
Nothing against it, like you said "F2P up to level 15" so relax, no micro transactions.

Dilv
06.04.2012 , 05:58 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MaverickXIV View Post
This is entirely a non-issue. Limited free-to-play is practically a staple of the industry now. It's healthy for both this game as well as gaming in general.
here we go...thank you

Optrex
06.04.2012 , 05:59 PM | #9
Its only around 6hrs of gameplay even for a newbie so they aint giving too much away.

Sammm
06.04.2012 , 06:00 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MaverickXIV View Post
Amen.