Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cathar as a Playable Species

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Cathar as a Playable Species

Captain_Zone
06.11.2012 , 07:28 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Makes no sense still to have them available on Empire side...that race HATES the Empire with a passion. I.E. the data entry. Only thing I can thing of is enslavement.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crado

Not to mention the Cathar Prince on Belsavis that got rescued by the Imperial player during a side mission. One of the Republic's "dirty little secrets".
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Katahn
06.12.2012 , 07:15 AM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crado

Not to mention the Cathar Prince on Belsavis that got rescued by the Imperial player during a side mission. One of the Republic's "dirty little secrets".
Yes absolutely - followers of the Cathar Prince may very well ally themselves with the Empire out of mutual anger at what the Republic had done. In fact, once those Cathar are "brought up to speed" on what the Jedi/Republic decided to do to the Sith at the end of the Great Hyperspace War they may very well see common cause. The Cathar, or at least some Cathar, may very well join the Empire the same way the Sith did.

Of course the Empire would have a field day with the P.R. and propoganda of this... insinuating it is the Republic that is truly hostile to aliens as a matter of policy while the Empire welcomes those aliens as equals who proclaim loyalty. Of course the last part of that is pure malarky, but what's good propoganda without some malarky eh?

If nothing else Cathar would make a lot of sense as Sith Inquisitors and Bounty Hunters, and to see some recruited as Imperial Agents likewise makes sense (deep cover agents). It all breaks down horribly for the Sith Warrior story, but then again we already can have Mirialan, Miraluka, Twi'lek, Zabrak, Chiss, and Rattataki Sith Warriors by virtue of starting selection and/or Legacy race unlocks.
Katahn
- Just an aging geek that remembers seeing Ep4 in the theater as a kid and knows that Han shot first!

KurganNazzir
06.12.2012 , 08:22 AM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Katahn View Post
If nothing else Cathar would make a lot of sense as Sith Inquisitors and Bounty Hunters
Slight spoiler here:
Spoiler

so there's already precedence for it.
Dark Eclipse
GAF

Katahn
06.12.2012 , 12:31 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by KurganNazzir View Post
Slight spoiler here:
Spoiler

so there's already precedence for it.
Yep, saw that too. Honestly about the only class it doesn't make sense to see them in is the SW and that is only because the SW story makes such an emphasis of the purity of one's sith blood in the prologue and in random spots throughout the story otherwise. I figure though if we can selectively ignore that for the twi'leks, mirialan, miralukan, etc., SWs we can ignore it for the cathar too.
Katahn
- Just an aging geek that remembers seeing Ep4 in the theater as a kid and knows that Han shot first!

lokdron
06.12.2012 , 01:20 PM | #135
The only way I can see it making sense for a cathar SW is to have a high level SI then make the cathar related to the SI its a bit of a jump but thats the only way I think you can justify a cathar SW.

EDIT:Anyway from what we are seeing by the end of the empire storylines right now the empire is having a change they are getting a lot more non human's joining the empire(IA and SI) there is even a debate about this on illum with the current grand moth.

From what I have noticed while playing the class stories most imperial npcs and high ranking sith don't really care all that much about your race as long as you get results.

And future patch notes spoilers

Spoiler
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

Katahn
06.12.2012 , 01:27 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by lokdron View Post
The only way I can see it making sense for a cathar SW is to have a high level SI then make the cathar related to the SI its a bit of a jump but thats the only way I think you can justify a cathar SW.
You could always claim that happened in the background, without actually needing the SI in the first place. If we ignore the BW story for the SW the Cathar SW could be...

* A fallen jedi padawan that converted and was taken in by a powerful sith lord and sent to Korriban to take the trials.

* Biologically or via adoption is the child of a previous Cathar SI.

* A member of a cathar royal family that voluntarily allied with the Empire and was thus not a slave when discovered to be Force Sensitive and sent to Korriban for the trials.

Those three just off the top of my head.
Katahn

Hawr
06.12.2012 , 03:27 PM | #137
cathar with the same humanoid model for head as a new specie, means that they will not add stuffs like togruta or changrian. How sad.

Captain_Zone
06.12.2012 , 03:33 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawr View Post
cathar with the same humanoid model for head as a new specie, means that they will not add stuffs like togruta or changrian. How sad.
Ok, now there is no reason not to add Togruta or Chagrians later. They already have the basic character models down.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Izorii
06.13.2012 , 12:27 AM | #139
Personaly I would like it if Cathar were a republic species and they had another one for the empire. But I doubt this will happen and like alllegacy species once unlocked the species will become avaliavble for all classes.

While I have a very limited interest in Cathar as a playable speices, I think there are a number of places where I would expect a cathar to have diferent options, especially if I was an imperial Cathar on Taris however I think its safe to bet there will be no changes to the dialog. Personaly I am happy with no changes as the less work they do to introduce a new species the more likely we will see other species come in. If it costs X hundred thousand dollars to bring in a species they will be rare if its just a skin change hopefully we will see a lot more new species.

Costello
06.17.2012 , 08:25 AM | #140
Is there any news on what the Imperial Race will be?

While I am sure we will see some Cathar Sith and even some that want to become the heir to Mandalore a group that hunted them like vermin through the legacy system. I can't see any way that the Development team would have them as an Imperial species from the get go, so what is going to be the Imperial Equivilant. Given Cathar is the species of companion I wonder if more work has gone onto their model allowing for more equipment already worked round so I wonder if it will be another of the companion species like a Kaleesh or Trandoshian both of which work with siding with the empire.