Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cathar as a Playable Species

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Cathar as a Playable Species

Ratatooey
06.07.2012 , 08:03 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I'm the same way, pretty much the only race that hasn't made it past level 3 with me is Rattataki, although Twi'lek doesn't really appeal either. That said, I love bald (and nearly bald) men.

But if they have some actual hair for the females I'll be in good shape - if they had something a bit Cheetara-like I'd be even better.
Yeah, to me they are adding Thunder cats to the game. Hate to add negativity to an otherwise positive thread, but Cathar are just another boring cat people. It's been done so many times in the past. They have so many interesting choices they could have made - Rhodians, Sulistans (loved Miel), Ithorians, Jawas, Nautilans, Voss, but they went with a race that is pretty much a staple of sci fi pulp stories.

Very disappointed. Sorry no rage or anything, but a definate lack of imagination on BW's part

Guardians of the Light, a Republic Guild, now recruiting: http://www.swtor.com/guilds/11751/guardians-light

Natharious
06.07.2012 , 09:29 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratatooey View Post
Yeah, to me they are adding Thunder cats to the game. Hate to add negativity to an otherwise positive thread, but Cathar are just another boring cat people. It's been done so many times in the past. They have so many interesting choices they could have made - Rhodians, Sulistans (loved Miel), Ithorians, Jawas, Nautilans, Voss, but they went with a race that is pretty much a staple of sci fi pulp stories.

Very disappointed. Sorry no rage or anything, but a definate lack of imagination on BW's part
I disagree. Cathar are a very logical choice for a playable species. They are one of the most asked after species on the forums. They've been a part of the Star Wars extended universe for years; the first time the species was identified as being Cathar was in the year 1994.

In comparison, species like the Chiss - which are extremely popular do to such things as the Thrawn trilogy - had their first appearance only three years early in 1991. And species like the Sith (Purebloods), - while they might have had earlier appearances that I simply cannot find - the earliest I find mention of them is in the year 1996. Fans of the Star Wars universe were ecstatic when BioWare announced these species as playable.

What's more, this is only the first species BioWare is adding to the game. It is by no means the last. Further more, the announcement of playable Cathar was only a teaser of the content to come this year. There might be even more species in store to become playable this year as well, if not at the same time as Cathar. So the addition of Cathar should, by no means, be a disappointment. Even to the people that don't want to play them. To those people, it is confirmation that more species are coming to SW:TOR.

What's more, people need to stop asking for species that are never - ever - going to happen because of the restrictions caused by the way the game works. Species like Ithorian and Jawa will never become playable. For one thing, Ithorians can't speak basic. For another, the physical build of both the Jawa and the Ithorians would mean that they would need entirely original appearances for gear that already exists in the game. They can't wear the things Humans or Human-like species do.

And then species like Rodians and Sullustans are also unlikely. Rodians and Sullustans are extremely alien for Humanoid species. Their facial appearances alone make them unlikely candidates. Unless the species is a near-Human I wouldn't count on them being added. What's more, Sullustans are a very in-diverse species. Every single Sullustan that has appeared in canon has looked exactly the same as any other Sullustan. They aren't a species that could be readily added to an RPG - a game genre where character customization and uniqueness has become key.

Species like Voss are also unlikely in my mind. The species and the planet they live on (of the same name) didn't even exist until BioWare created them for SW:TOR. There are a multitude of other, iconic species that fit the criteria set forth by BioWare for playable species that could be added. To compile a small list:

Nautolan, Togruta, Chagrian, Devaronian, Nikto, Duros, and Iktotchi.

All of these species fit BioWare's criteria, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them were added in the future. Again, Cathar are just the first. News of their addition should be exciting for everyone; it means there will be ever more species to come.

Complaining isn't going to change anything here. Instead, be happy for the people that wanted Cathar and look forward to the addition of more species in the future.
Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony
sohsoo.swtorhosting.com
Spark of Hope Council | Smuggler Officer
~ Marik Vash ~

Ratatooey
06.07.2012 , 09:46 AM | #93
No arguments against the lore of the Cathar, just that cat people have been done so many times from Buck Rogers in the 30s to CJ Cherryah's Chanur saga recently. It's just stale IMO.

I would like a sense of adventure in the game, but Cathar are just a stereo type of an alien. There are original races, wish they would use them

Guardians of the Light, a Republic Guild, now recruiting: http://www.swtor.com/guilds/11751/guardians-light

Natharious
06.07.2012 , 09:48 AM | #94
No arguments against the lore of the Cathar, just that cat people have been done so many times from Buck Rogers in the 30s to CJ Cherryah's Chanur saga recently. It's just stale IMO.

I would like a sense of adventure in the game, but Cathar are just a stereo type of an alien. There are original races, wish they would use them
And more than likely they will - at least the ones that are near-Human.

Look forward to those, mate. They're coming. Cathar are merely the very first.
Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony
sohsoo.swtorhosting.com
Spark of Hope Council | Smuggler Officer
~ Marik Vash ~

Ratatooey
06.07.2012 , 10:16 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Natharious View Post
And more than likely they will - at least the ones that are near-Human.

Look forward to those, mate. They're coming. Cathar are merely the very first.
I know that some players want completely non-human species, but the vast majority of people prefer aliens that are near-human. I get that; no arguments there.

I certainly hope they have other new races soon.

assetstudies
06.07.2012 , 12:10 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Katahn View Post
I can see nautolans and togruta being added - they both have fairly human-like faces in a general sense. Ithorians, wookies, trandoshans, mon cals, and rodians all have very non-human faces and so my basic feeling is we aren't going to see them being added any time soon, if ever.

I wish the Legacy unlocks worked within the story - or at least the story would moderately adapt to the species of the character. I have suggested before that the sith classes storylines should be based around species and not around class - if you are human or sith pureblood you get the sith warrior story regardless of your class while other species (the aliens) get the sith inquisitor storyline. Similarly if you are playing a sith pureblood jedi, or a republic character with an imperial species in general that the NPCs should react to it appropriately. The aforementioned example of telling a jedi that is a pureblood that the jedi will never accept a pureblood is a wonderful example of that.
I agree to a point the bioware teem know how to do a helmet plus I've seen all those races (expect rodians I just don't remember one) in game already. Granted helmets wont show right if not at all, so all the teem has to do create some more skins for the various meshes and code them into the creation process. one race I would like to see is the Shistavanens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ranadiel_Marius
06.07.2012 , 01:09 PM | #97

I don't get this argument. Everything in fiction, except for possibly the most absurd ideas, has been done before. Everything in fiction can be viewed as being stale at this point. So this complaint could really be used against any new species.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Wolfninjajedi
06.07.2012 , 03:36 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
I don't get this argument. Everything in fiction, except for possibly the most absurd ideas, has been done before. Everything in fiction can be viewed as being stale at this point. So this complaint could really be used against any new species.
Hmm....true, I can't really think of anything that hasn't been done before. Whats there left to do?
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Jandi
06.07.2012 , 04:01 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Hmm....true, I can't really think of anything that hasn't been done before. Whats there left to do?
To do it *well*. Sci-fi is so, so full of just... garbage.

Ratatooey
06.07.2012 , 04:54 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I would say read CJ Cherryhs Pride of Chanur series. She takes a "cat people" and makes them fresh, she gives them depth, The Hani in her book are well developed and multi dimensional - they live in Prides (like Lions) and toss out the males when they reach adolecence. And won't let males in space because they are emotionally unstable (so they think). So when Tully, a human, hides on their ship they won't trust him because he is a male.

Then read Downbelow Station or the Foreigner series, and see aliens that are completely new, and entire societies. Also by Cherryh, who is a master at alien species

Orson Scott Cards Ender's Game also has a lot of new stuff, and so does Generation Warriors though I can't remember the author. Its a society based on sublight travel where people don't age while travelling but their world around themn does and how a society where everyone ages at different rates works.

Repent Harlequin! said the Tick Tock man by Harlan Ellison also goes into a lot of new territory.

Surface Tension, can't remember the author, is a short story that goes into a tiny alien species whose big problem is to over come the surface tension of their pond water to see what is in the universe beyond.

The Ballad of Lost C'Mell is an excellent short story on a cat people completely different than the stock ones.

Or if movies is your preference, watch La Belle et la Bette to see a cat like telling ofd Beauty and the Beast which is completely original, but if you can't stand subtitles Blade Runner still is amazing to see how replicants (cyborgs) work. Especially when you realize Fords character is one also.

There are lots of new ways to do old ideas. Star Wars is a new way to go over old themes in itself.