Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I would bet my creds that its going to be a paid expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I would bet my creds that its going to be a paid expansion

Gersidi
06.04.2012 , 03:12 PM | #1
All the new stuff announced today? Seems plausible to be free content updates... that is until you consider the level cap increase. No MMO I can think of raises level cap without it being part of an expansion.

Look at this EA marketing survey leaked a couple weeks ago. It contains "packages" that can be purchase that include different content options. Every "package", includes three things announced today: level cap increase, new planet Makeb, and playable Cathar.

Under each package is written, "How much would you pay for this expansion?".

Here is a link to the surveys:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6s...Wjg/edit?pli=1

thomasgallant
06.04.2012 , 03:13 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Gersidi View Post
All the new stuff announced today? Seems plausible to be free content updates... that is until you consider the level cap increase. No MMO I can think of raises level cap without it being part of an expansion.

And this is EA we are talking about. SWTOR hasnt exactly been doing well lately. For me, 12 months is too soon to raise the level cap. Seems like a cash grab.
hey who knows.. they gave away alot of free content in 1.2 i wouldtn be surprised if it was free. considering they didnt mention anything about expansion just new content
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." Obi-Wan Kenobi

SNCommand
06.04.2012 , 03:13 PM | #3
Doubt it, this is a content update not an expansion. It's a lot of new stuff, but not enough to be an MMO expansion.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Chessrook
06.04.2012 , 03:13 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by gersidi View Post
no mmo i can think of raises level cap without it being part of an expansion.
lotro.

Goretzu
06.04.2012 , 03:15 PM | #5

And this is EA we are talking about. SWTOR hasnt exactly been doing well lately. For me, 12 months is too soon to raise the level cap. Seems like a cash grab.
It seems very much like the 1.4 change in Warhammer Online to me.

Basically no expansion, but added grind (1.4 added effectively "levels" in WAR).

Hope I'm just being cynical, but SWTOR is just following WAR far too closely in most ways.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Marak
06.04.2012 , 03:18 PM | #6
I'm fine with paying money for it if that is the case.

I don't need bribed.

NorrinRaddd
06.04.2012 , 03:18 PM | #7
They stated that as long as people keep playing and people pay for subs they said theyd keep rolling out free content and expansions. it was in one of he Q and A's

Azurax
06.04.2012 , 03:20 PM | #8
I liked everything I saw, but the Cathars being the only new race is disappointing. That announcement did not include enough features to make me pay for it, so it either better have more or be free.

Overall I'm looking forward to what was announced. One day I may even make a Cathar. But until then.. I'm going to express my disappointment in that race by mercilessly murdering every Cathar I see until a new non-purring race is released.

Well, time to figure out which craft makes milk and tuna...
Jen'jidai, Jung Ma server
Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
Azurax Waruza - Adept of Jen'Jidai

Sirsri
06.04.2012 , 03:23 PM | #9

Raising the level cap lets them add new stuff at a much higher item level so they can wipe the slate clean on all of the stuff in game that's a disaster, and they can completely rehash skills or the skill trees etc. to be much more functional if they feel they need to without wrecking how people do content right now.

That doesn't mean they won't charge for new levels, but there's a good argument for say giving away up to 55 for free, wipe out all the current level 50 gear/spec/itemization problems they do have, and work forward from there.

Also, this is a game that is supposed to largely be about your own story. Adding more levels certainly extends that story and gives you multiple reason to complete a new planet with a whole quest chain on it.

Vlaxitov
06.04.2012 , 03:23 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Chessrook View Post
lotro.
Played LOTRO off and on for years. They never raised level cap without an xpac you had to pay for, ever.