Force of Wills

Earthmama

This is going to be my first true attempt at Fan fiction, I feel bolstered by the positive feedback I've been receiving from what I have posted so far, and a story is forming in my head, that I would like to share. The first 2 parts some of you may have read before, but for simplicity sake I'm going to post them here as well for a more complete feel.

There will be some light spoilers in regard to the Sith Warrior, Smuggler, Imperial Agent, and Consular stories, as those characters will have already gone through the events that take place in the game.

Main Characters: Lord Ardyth, Emperor's Wrath - Malavai Quinn, Vette

Ainsley, Smuggler - Corso Riggs, Akaavi Spar, Risha (Could be all 5, not sure yet)

Shiloh, Former Imperial agent, now freelance. - Vector, Kaliyo, Dr. Lokin

Elliah, Barsen'thor of the Jedi order - Lt Iresso, Nadia

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ainsley

On a large homestead on Dantooine, It's dusk and the sky glows pink in the sunset, Corso Riggs is walking along his land checking the fence, making mental notes in his head of which sections need repairing. The ship he knows so well is sitting on the landing pad, quiet, also needing some work. It's been nearly three years since he and his wife settled on Dantooine, started a family and left the hyper lanes behind.

Corso opens the hatch and makes his way to the cockpit, knowing that's where she would be. Her blonde hair glows in the fading light, he loves her, even more then the day they met, but his heart is breaking looking at her. Ainsley doesn't hear him come in, she's sitting in the captains chair, hands on the stick, eyes closed, remembering.

"She'll be good to fly tomorrow?"

Corso's voice snapped her out of her day dream.

"Yeah, I'll drop Akaavi off at Fleet and head home, should just take a day. I'll be home in time to tuck the boys into bed"

"Why don't you go with her?"

"Go with Akaavi Spar on a Mandalorian hunting expedition? did you just suggest that?"

Corso pulled her out of her chair, looking into her eyes, dead serious.

"I am, Darlin, you havn't done more then fleet runs for family and friends for the last 3 years. I know what you gave up when you came here with me to raise the boys. I know you miss the fast life, I know you miss the adventure, and Akaavi already offered to bring you."

"But, you and the kids, Cohen's only 2..."

"and he'll miss his mama, but he'll be fine. You need this Ainsley! You've been a ghost, and I miss my wife. So go"

He hugged her tight, and gave her a deep long kiss that took her breath away, "just don't forget to come back."

They walked back to the house hand in hand. Corso not wanting to let go, because he honestly didn't know if she would come back.

Ainsley smiled, and that almost forgotten feeling of anticipation gripped her heart.

Ardyth

Ardyth channeled the force, her red face was slick with sweat, her bright yellow eyes, blood shot , yet determined. Quinn held fast to her hand, supporting her back through every contraction while she pushed and labored to bring their child into the world.

Malavai Quinn, was a mess of nerves, excited, yet anxious, eager to finally meet their first child, his hand had gone numb nearly an hour ago from holding Ardyths.

"The babe is crowning Ardyth, my love, you're almost there!", Quinn glanced down to where the midwife waited to catch their precious cargo.

Ardyth pushed one final push, roaring with the effort, and she felt the rest of her baby escape her womb. The child was placed on her mothers chest right away, naked and slick and screaming her first breath. The midwife went to work cleaning the baby off, and looking after what came next.

"It's a girl! My love we have a daughter! You amaze me my dear." Quinn was elated, happy was too weak a word, he noticed the red skin, and the ridges on his tiny daughters face. Pureblood! Her little eyes opened to meet her mothers, bright yellow. He loved her instantly.

Ardyth held the now quiet child, and frowned, she tried again to reach through the force to commune with her newborn daughter but was met with nothing. She tried a second, then third, then fourth time, as her worst fears took over. She had a pureblood child who was not force sensitive, abomination.

"Take it off me" Ardyth couln't look at her, she was disgusted, ashamed. How could the Emporor's Wrath bear an abomination. It was a bad dream.

Quinn tenderly picked up his daughter, swaddled her and simply stared in amazement at this perfect little being in his arms. "Her, it's a girl love"

"No Malavai, it is an abomination, this is no pureblood, it's not force sensitive", She spat out the words, rage, shame and sadness, she fought back the tears, feeling like an utter failure.

Quinn felt dumb, could not comprehend what his wife just said. "But...we always said if our child was not force sensitive, that we would send it to the military acadamy, she will simply follow in my footsteps.."

"NO, That creature is an abomination, Malavai! If she had been born without the red markings, appeared more human, then there would be no problem, but she was born with the royal markings, but can not use the force....The only thing she is fit for is slavery or death."

The baby started to cry startled by the sudden yelling.

"GET IT OUT OF MY SIGHT"

Quinn reluctantly handed his daughter over to a waiting nurse.

Ardyth closed her eyes, and held out her hand for her husband to take. Quinn took it, numb.

"Take care of this problem for me, I'm too tired to do it myself"

"but.."

"Captain!"

"yes....my lord"

Quinn left his wifes birthing suite, the nurse handed his daughter back to him, with a look of sad pity on her face, she did not envy him. She quieted in his arms.

"Your name is Mitka, and I love you"

He absently stroked her wispy black hair a top her head, her big yellow eyes stared up at him in awe. He found himself in an all too familiar dilemma. Love or Duty. Love for his daughter or duty to his wife.

Shiloh

“Your aura wavers tonight, is something wrong?” Vector asked his lovely, wife? Fiancée? Partner? Whatever she was, she was his, and he was hers, despite the hive mind, despite the republic mind games, despite the empire, they were each others. His strong hands glided along her pale blue skin, he found another source of the waver in her aura, and worked the knot out of her shoulder.

“mmmmmmm” was all Shiloh could muster in response.

His hands slid down and worked her lower back, she spent far too much time hunched over her data pad. He finished her massage and waited patiently for her to stir out of the coma like trance he had put her in. He watched the interplay of her aura with the candle light, he inhaled her scent that now intermingled with the scent of the massage oil, he sighed.

Shiloh stretched and rolled over to face the person who she could only describe as her soul mate, She was filled with desire for him, his black eyes sparkled as he smiled, leaned forward, and kissed her. Her kiss grew needy, and it was her turn to sigh.

Shiloh woke to the sound of rain falling outside, and to her surprise a birdsong, she did not hear it often on Drummond Kaas. She got out of bed and looked out her window stealing Vectors robe off the floor and wrapping herself in it. She drew back the curtains and let the dim grey light in, and decided then that they needed a vacation, to somewhere sunny. Vector was of course out of bed, on the covered balcony communing with the hive, she watched him, her strange lover, but her mind wandered back to the holo she had received from her mother. Shiloh had not seen or spoken to her mother in almost 5 years, not because there was no love loss, Shiloh had simply been through so much in those years, she didn’t know how to start. So much of what happened to her was classified, and she didn’t even know how to start explaining Vector to her mother.

Regardless Shiloh had agreed to host her mother and baby sister for a fortnight.

“There is tea in the kitchen, and I’ve already uploaded the Kaas daily to your data pad dearest” Vector walked in from the cool morning air and planted a loving kiss on Shilohs forehead.

“I would be lost without you, my dear” said Shiloh as she made her way across her flat to the kitchen and poured herself some Alderaanie tea.

Vector’s brow furrowed, “you’re aura is still wavering, Shiloh, are you still so apprehensive about your mother and sisters visit?”

“She’s just….I don’t know…overbearing? I think that would be putting it mildly, and my sister, I haven’t seen her since she was in diapers, I still feel terrible that I wasn’t able to return to Csilla for my step father’s funeral.”Shiloh sat down exasperated, a little defeated, her mother would have something to say about everything. “the only person who was ever able to keep the peace between my mother and I was my father, and he’s been gone a long time now.”

“I’ll be with you the entire time” Vector soothed gently.

“I know” Shiloh answered, dreading the inevitable questions about Joiners from her mother.

Edited by Earthmama

Elliah

“No Kainen, feel the force flow through you, you can’t force it” Elliah instructed a Mirilan youngling.

“hehe, can’t force the force” the little boy dissolved into giggles.

Elliah, suppressed her own smile, she had been called back to Tython to help train new jedi, and they had placed her with the younglings, and she didn’t know if it was supposed to be a reward or a punishment. She loved the enthusiasm of youth, their easy smiles, their eagerness to learn, but for the last few months, every time she encountered a Miraluka youngling, she wondered: Is that one mine? Her child, would be about 7 almost 8 years old now.

Elliah had been so young once, naïve.

“Alright younglings, gather your things, I’ll see you tomorrow” Elliah announced to her charges.

A roar of cheers at being set free erupted from the ten children who had been placed in her care. She tried to admonish them “Emotion yet peace children!” but the children ran wild despite it. They would learn, and at this age, she hated to stifle them.

Elliah made her way to her chamber within the temple, took off her outer robe, and changed into some flexible pants, laid her mat down and stretched. Each position opening herself to the force, she could feel it moving within her, felt her breath, relaxed, changed position, until she was at one with it, until she knew that the force held her in the air, cradled her, her mind was open.

She was 19 again, a Padawan, and in love, he was also a Miraluka, handsome, arrogant, but he had told her he loved her, and she had believed him. They had disobeyed, they had escaped and she remembered his hot kisses, his wandering hands, she remembered giving him everything. And he had taken it all, Kahrn, had taken and lied, and when she came to him, terrified, he had done what their Masters could not. He ended their affair, and Elliah was left to face her Master, low, ashamed and pregnant.

Emotion, yet peace

She was sent to Coruscant for the duration of her pregnancy, she spent interminable hours studying holocrons, meditating on her failures and her shortcomings. She fed the life growing inside of her. She had been given a choice, she meditated on that choice.

Ignorance, yet knowledge

She had been alone when she went into labor, a midwife and nurse attending her, her Master waiting for her final decision. It hurt, she cried for the mother she had never known, she had been so young when she had been sent to the Temple. The babies cry had been the sweetest sound of her life, and the most heartbreaking.

Passion, yet serenity

She could have left the Jedi order, kept her child, walked away, with no ill will. Or she could stay, and complete her training. Her Master telling her that she was one of the most gifted students he had ever known, but he would understand if the pull of motherhood was too much for her. If she chose to stay, the child would be taken from her, she would not hold it, so as to minimize any attachment. The child, who would be Miraluka, and who would be force sensitive, would be raised in the temple to become a jedi, if that was his or her wish. Elliah, would not know his or her name, would be given no information, and would need to content herself with the knowledge that her child would be well taken care of. Elliah, had no family to return to, no means, no way of giving her child a good life. She chose the force, knowing it was the best solution for bother her and her child. Her heart raged.

Chaos, yet harmony

A part of her died that day, when the nurse whisked her child away, she saw a tiny hand and a wisp of hair, blonde. She wanted to see, was it a boy or a girl, she pleaded with the midwife to tell her, through her tears, please. Her Master came in and held her, soothed her like the child she was, rocked her, through her sadness and fear, reciting the code to her, like a familiar blanket. The force would provide, she would overcome.

Death, yet the force

Elliah came back to herself, it had grown dark, her cheeks wet, yet she was serene, she thought of that baby every day. Knew in her heart that her child was alive and well. Her holo went off.

“Hey Sweetheart, looks like I’m stranded on Nar Shaadda” It was Felix Iresso, still amazed that the council had given their blessing to their union. Then again, she had endured worse and come out still embracing the light side of the force. They trusted her.

“Oh no, Felix, what’s happened?” she asked, concerned, she had been looking forward to his visit.

“Cartel shut down the spaceport, something about a turf war, I’m not 100% sure, but I’m ok, and at the Republic embassy, going to see if I can help in anyway.”

“Well stay safe then, let me know when you leave, I love you!”

“I love you too sweetheart, just a little longer” Felix replied wistfully

They ended the call.

“The force likes to test me.” She said to the darkness of her room.

Ardyth

Malavai sat in the nursery that he and Ardyth had joyfully put together, he sat in the rocking chair, rocking his now sleeping infant. He had dismissed the servants prior to arrival, and they did not question their sudden day off. He was alone, and his keen mind worked quickly, he had already put together a modest bag of clothes, nappies, bottles, formula, everything she would need. He had everything he needed aboard the Fury, yet he sat here. He needed help, he was well known on Drummond Kaas, and if he was discovered with a purblood infant, there would be serious consequences.

“All problems can be overcome my girl, remember that” he whispered softly to Mitka, she made soft snoring sounds.

With great reluctance he placed her in her crib and quietly shut the door. He went to his study and made a holocall to Vette.

“You and your Sith wife are crazy! Monsters, Evil…hic…I can’t believe you would kill your own baby!! Your own BABY!” Vette was beside herself in tears, angry.

“Vette calm yourself, I need you to come to the estate, I can’t talk over the holo, I must speak to you in person” Quinn spoke in his usual calm efficient manner.

“what so you can…hic..gloat??” spat the Twilek

“Vette, you simpering imbecile, the baby yet lives, but if you don’t hurry, I don’t know for how long.” He hissed back at her, he had already started the process of deleting the holo history, which would look suspicious, even without the actual recording of the call.

“Oh…I..”

The holo went dead, Quinn lamented having to work with Vette, he had been glad to have been free of her, after so many years stuck in such close quarters aboard the Fury.

“I told Malavai to do it father” Adryth sat in her hospital bed, her imposing father standing above her. She might be the Emperors Wrath, but her father still had a way of intimidating her.

“That imperial husband of yours? Daughter you should have choked away its life the moment you realized” answered Lord Kaervrek

“And tell me father how many 30 hour labors have you endured?!” Ardyth shot back, impertinent as always.

“You are Sith! You were made to endure, I did not raise a spoiled Moffs daughter, I raised a terror, you are the Emperors Wrath girl, and it was your responsibility to eliminate any abomination that might taint our blood.” Kaervrek admonished his daughter, who appeared to be going soft on him. “Your precious Captain is human, and does not possess the force, they are weak, are you sure he has the fortitude to kill his own? There are far too many humans who can’t. Your grandmother cried like a simpering baby when your grandfather killed her abomination….and she was a Sith Lord!” Kaervrek explained calmly.

Ardyth remembered Quinn broken, on the floor at her feet, swearing fealty to her. She should have killed him, the Sith don’t suffer betrayals, or the weak, but she had loved him, beyond reason. Perhaps it had been Vette’s influence, perhaps she carried some of her human grandmothers weakness within her. Regardless, she trusted her husband, he wouldn’t dare betray her a second time.

“He has the fortitude, I trust him father.” Ardyth hardly believed the words herself, her father would certainly not. Ardyth regretted assigning the task to her husband.

“Do you?

“yes” She could not look her father in the eyes.

“Perhaps he does" Kaervrek lied right back to her. " I have a contact, who will be able to verify that he has done what is necessary, and if need be, kill the child herself.” Kaervrek placed the holo frequency on Ardyths bedside table. “Friday you will join me for dinner, you must show your face again, show your strength, move past this. Do not give your enemies an opening.”

“I am Wrath! No one would dare…”

“Then act like Wrath!”

Kaervrek left his daughter, staring at her hands. He loved her, she needed to find her way past this shame and find her strength again, or he would kill her himself.

Shiloh

Shiloh checked the clock again, her mother and sisters shuttle had arrived an hour prior, they would be here soon. She rinsed the kama berries under some water and started cutting off the stems. Kama berries were native to Csilla, a bright red berry, both sweet and sour, they were a favorite of her family. Shiloh had bought two bushels of the ridiculously over priced berry, they were a favorite among the sith nobility as well. She remembered her childhood, being able to stop along the road side in spring, brush away some of the snow, and they would be growing everywhere. She had been late to school too many times then she could count thanks to these little morsels. Vector snuck yet another one.

“Would you stop!” Shiloh swatted him away, “You can have some after my mother and sister arrives” and as if on cue, the doorbell rang.

Shiloh opened the door, her mother and little sister stood waiting, her mother’s garishly painted pink lips smiled big as she finally laid eyes on her eldest daughter.

“Shiloh my dear, dear daughter, I’ve missed you so!” Brynn pulled her daughter into a hug and planted a kiss on her forehead and each of her cheeks, leaving bright pink smears. Shiloh hugged her back fiercely, mother and daughter had many differences of opinion, but they loved each other. “How long has it been now? 5 years?”

“7, mother, Kianna was still a baby” Shiloh finally dropped her eyes to the skinny Chiss youth, she was tall, and gangly, arms and legs seemingly too long for her body, a shock of black hair, cut into a short bob, her pale blue skin had a smattering of dark blue freckles, her red eyes shy, her bangs fell to cover them. Shiloh remembered the awkward years of her youth, all arms and legs.

“Oh come Kiki! Say hello to your sister” her mother ordered.

Kianna’s nose wrinkled slightly at the hated nickname, she looked up at her older sister, she was beautiful. She had dark blue hair, and the same pale blue skin, but no hated freckles, her face was friendly and open. Her voice came out soft, shy, unsure, “Hello Shiloh.”

Shiloh knelt to Kianna’s level, “Hello Kianna, do you like kama berries?” The girls eyes lit up and nodded vigorously.

A few hours and the rest of the kama berries later, Kianna was chatting away, shyness forgotten as she regaled her sister with stories of school and friends, and the pet taun taun she had left behind.

Vector and Brynn were deep in conversation.

“So you’re human? But are also a bug?” Brynn asked

“Kilik” Vector corrected, “We are physiologically still human, but we share a pheromonic link to the hive mind, we share their thoughts and memories, we are what is called a Joiner.”

“We, you and Shiloh?” the older woman asked still perplexed, this is the mate her daughter had chosen?

“No Shiloh is still herself, we are the Joiner, I am the Joiner” Vector had explained 3 different times.

Brynn sighed, exasperated, “So what is it that you do?”

“We are Dawn Herald…”

“He’s a diplomat mother.”Shiloh saw the crease in Vectors forehead.

“A Diplomat!” Brynn understood this one, “Do you speak many languages then?”

Vector shot a thankful look at Shiloh, “I do speak a multitude of languages, including, Huttese, Cheunh, Minnisiat, Rodese and Shyriiwook”

“I’ve never even heard of Shyrii..what?”

“Shyriiwook, or Wookiespeak, it is the language of the wookies, I could never have mastered their language had I never become a Joiner, it is a complex series of growls, barks, and grunts. Allow me to demonstrate.” Vector cleared his throat.

Shiloh put her head in her hands as her mother looked on aghast as Vector proceeded to growl, bark and grunt. Kianna started to giggle uncontrollably. Shiloh was about to interrupt with suggesting dinner, when her holo rang. She excused herself as Vector began to attempt to teach her sister how to say hello.

Shiloh entered the office and put the call through, “My Lord Ardyth” Shiloh bowed in deference, “To what do I owe this honor?”

“I am in need of your skills”

_______

Shiloh returned, a serious look on her face. Vector noticed the change in her aura immediately.

“Who was on the holo, Shiloh?” Vector inquired, concerned.

“Lord Ardyth” Shiloh answered, “I have work to do”

“But we just got here! Can’t you tell her you have company?” Brynn whined at her daughter

“One does not deny a Sith Lord, especially not when said sith lord is answerable only to the Emperor himself. She is not a woman I would anger, not for you, not for anyone.”Shiloh shot back.

Brynn rolled her eyes, indignant, this was no way to treat guests.

“Sith train on Korriban right?” Kianna inquired curiously

“they do, Kianna.”

“Mother says I am to go to Korriban after our visit. I am going to be a sith” Kianna pronounced rather proudly.

“What?!”

Ok so the sotry is pretty good. Good job. However .. I really thought it said the Force of Willis when I saw it and got excited thinking there was gonna be a bruce willis jedi conversation.

LOL!! Bruce Willis is way to epic for me to write.. and thanks for the encouragement, I have the next installment outlined, but it's still not where I want it to be, hope to have it posted tomorrow.

Ainsley

The gundark wandered into her sights, Ainsley felt her breathing slow, felt cold durasteel against her cheek and the wet ground against her body. Akaavi was beside her silent, two other mandolorians in their particular party crouching silent so as not to startle the beast. She breathed in, “Akaavi” she whispered. Akaavi didn’t answer, “psssst Akaavi!” She whispered again.

“Ainsley the shot is perfect, take it! What’s the matter?” Akaavi whispered back, serious and confused.

“Is that cute Mando with the black hair still checking out my ***?” Ainsley asked calmly, keeping the animal in her sights, with both her scope and the cyber enhancement on her left eye.

“What?” Akaavi asked in disbelief.

“Answer the question woman, is he?” the gundark paused to sniff the air, suspicious.

The zabrak woman looked over her shoulder to spy their hunting mates. Sure enough the rather handsome dark haired youth, with some disconcerting green eyes, was admiring Ainsleys rather well rounded and well formed posterior.

“Yes” Akaavi hissed

“Still got it” Ainsley whispered to herself, she squeezed the trigger, felt the recoil rock against her shoulder, the gundark dropped with the well placed blaster shot, a clean kill right between the eyes.

“OYA” the three Mando’s said in unison, Akaavi slapped Ainsley’s shoulder in congratulations, and Ainsley, ever the flirt, was sure to get up slowly, taking special care to accent the item of admiration for that cute kid, he reminded her of Corso when they had first met.

Ainsley was having a blast, they had been on Dxun now for 6 days, this was her second kill, Mandolorians really did know how to have a good time, Ainsley would be leaving the following day, thinking she might pay a visit to Risha and her latest Dubrillion prince, on her way back home. The two Mando youths moved to bag the kill, Ainsley held dreamy green eyes gaze as he walked by, he was all machismo and puffing, like a proud rooster, he tripped on a root as he looked back at her, his friend laughing at him. Ainsley turned towards the speeders smiling to herself. “Yep, still got it.” She heard Akaavi chuckle.

The two women reached the main hunting camp and made their way to their shared tent to clean off the mud and sweat from the day. When she got there she noticed her holo was blinking with a new message. Without a second thought she placed it on the table and hit play, expecting Corso, Aaron and Cohen to have left her a sweet little message. This vacation was exactly what she needed, big guns, good sport, sexy men, and no jealous husband so she could flirt and ogle in peace. Still she missed them, especially her boys. To her surprise a Twilek showed up on instead.

“Captain Ainsley Isiz, my name is Vette, and I am an old friend of one of your former crew members, Risha.” Vette, vette, The little slave girl Risha had told her about, the one her father had freed back when she was little, Ainsley vaguely remembered the story, but remembered Risha saying they had been close, she also remembered Risha saying the girl was probably dead.

“The job my collegue and I would like to offer you has a large sum of credits attached to it, and is also a mission of mercy. For more details please call this secured holo frequency.”

The message ended, leaving Ainsley wondering, she hadn’t taken a job since she had given birth to Aaron almost 4 years ago, and she eventually stopped getting offers all together, most people assuming she had retired from the smuggling business. In part they were right. The mission of mercy part had peaked her curiosity.

“Are you going to call her back?” Akaavi inquired, knowing how long it had been since Ainsley had done anything since bearing those children of hers.

“No harm in hearing her out right?”Ainsley punched in the frequency she had been given.

It wasn’t Vette on the other line, but a man wearing an imperial uniform. “Captain Isiz, I see you received Vette’s message, I am Captain Quinn, and I am the one looking to hire you for your rather impressive services.” Ainsley was immediately on guard, she had more the a few bounties on her head in the Empire, and she wasn’t about to let them collect on them now.

“Alright Captain Quinn what’s your angle, Vette said it was a mercy mission? You looking to defect or something? “She asked

“No, I need you to smuggle a child out of Imperial space.” He answered curtly “This child would otherwise be sold into slavery or killed otherwise. “

“Geeze what did this kid do?” Ainsley asked, her poor heart already going out, she was such a sucker when kids were involved.

“She was born without the force.” The Imperial answered plainly, to the point.

Ainsley was surprised, she had heard of smuggling force sensitives out of the Empire, from families not wanting their kids sent to the sith academy. She had helped run a job like that back on Balmorra. She had never heard of a “normal” needing to be taken out to avoid the Sith and their craziness before.

“I am prepared to pay you 200,000 credits, 20% now and the rest once she is safely in republic space. “

That was a lot of credits.

“Where’s the pick up?”

“Drumund Kaas”

Ainsley let out a low whistle, she hadn’t done a Kaas run since before her gun run to Ord Mantell.

“I have already prepared the proper credentials that will allow you to land in the spaceport, your coloured history will not be known to the customs agents.” Quinn continued.

“My bounties are worth a lot more than 200,000 credits, how do I know this isn’t a trap?” Ainsley challenged back.

“Because the child in question is my child. I have no desire to her harmed in anyway, you are the best smuggler in republic space, committing more than a dozen affronts to the Empire and we have yet to catch you. She would be in safe hands.” Ainsley heard emotion in his voice for the first time, she heard sincerity there. She thought of her own children, of the things she would do if they were threatened. She had been burned by the Empire before, badly, and it was a very real possibility that she could be walking into a trap, he gut told her otherwise. She prayed to the force and for the sake of her children that her gut was right.

“Send me those credentials and that 20%, I can be in Drumund Kaas in 2 days” Ainsley gave her answer.

Elliah

Elliah made her way to Master Shan’s chambers. The two younglings had been found, in the gnarls of all places, this was the third time they had run off. They were running out of ideas. She walked into the spacious room, caught eyes with the orders grand master, gave her a respectful bow, then her eyes landed on the two troublesome younglings. They were both skinny little things, both girls, and both could be uncommonly mean to anyone else who attempted friendship with them. The older of the two was not a common sight on Tython, a Rattataki, already fully tattooed when she had arrived to the Order, large white grey eyes, that loved to roll whenever she was chastised, Rateah. The second, younger, was a Miraluka, had been with the order since birth. Avacynne had a shock of honey blonde hair, pretty heart shaped lips, and loved trying to adorn her simple eye veil with beads and ribbons, she was quite vain. Elliah had often wondered if this was her child, and that it was her test to quiet the anger and vanity in her daughter. Regardless they were her responsibility, and for the third time she had been worried sick over them.

“Girls, to my meditation room, now” Elliah ordered the girls in a stern voice, Rateah rolled her eyes, and Avacynne curled those pretty heart shaped lips. When they arrived she sat each girl on opposite sides of the room.

“Five hours” was all Elliah said.

“FIVE HOURS...” cried Rateah

“But Master Elliah that’s not f…” Avacynne started

Elliah held up her hand and and turned to Avacynne, “Fair? Avacynne, this is the third time the two of you have run away, there are still flesh raiders in the gnarls, was it fair to the knight who now has a blaster wound looking for you? Five hours of meditation, think on what you have done, meditate on the force, quiet you heart, young one, life isn’t fair, as a jedi you will face uneven odd, and injustice, the galaxy does not understand the word fair.” Elliah lectured quietly, hoping her words would reach her this time.

“I hate the force!” Avacynne pronounced grumpily, pouting as she crossed her legs under her getting into position for meditation.

“You don’t’ understand anyways Master Elliah, you can do whatever you want.” Chimed Rateah

Elliah turned to her with a sad smile.

“No child, I can’t”

Elliah stood up and left the girls alone with their thoughts, she waved a young knight over to her and assigned him to the door, lest the girls attempt to run a fourth time.

The two girls managed their silence for ten minutes before Rateah got up and went to sit beside her friend.

“We need to get off this planet” Teah announced again. “they can’t keep us forever, if we don’t want to be jedi, they can’t make us”

“You heard what master Satele said, we have to wait until we’re at least 17 before they can let us go” Avacynne replied, crestfallen.

“Piss on Master Satele, and piss on Master Elliah, and piss on the jedi, you wait sister, when the next resupply shuttle gets here, we’ll be on it when it leaves. We’ll escape and they won’t be able to stop us!” Rateah hugged her friend, she was her sister, they were different species, but she had never loved someone so fiercely.

“Together forever remember!”

“Together forever!” Avacynne hugged her back. She hated it here. The moment she found out her parents had been jedi and had chosen to give her up she wanted to leave. She hated them, all of them, so she clung to her adopted sister, her best friend. She had a family despite her parents not wanting her, her eye veil got wet as she started to cry. “I love you Teah!”

“I love you too Ava!”

Ardyth

Quinn cradled Mitka, now three days old, he held her bottle up and she gulped the formula down greedily, dribbles running down her bright red chin, her large yellow eyes stared up intently at him. Malavai cooed quietly at her, exclaiming how big she had gotten, and how good a girl she was for eating all of her breakfast. He told her how proud he was of her for being so good for aunty Vette. Vette yawned, good, she was up at least 4 times a night with the rug rat, and she had savored every moment. Captain Isiz was due today, Quinn had noted the fabricated com signal entering Imperial space yesterday and had tracked her since.

Quinn and Vette where in a small cramped flat on the out skirts of Kaas city, in the alien sector, barely patrolled or looked at by law enforcement, except when hunting for an appropriate scapegoat for some crime or another. It had devolved into a veritable ghetto, the flat itself was garishly decorated Quinn noted, all purples and greens, but it was Vettes home, and it was one of the safest places to hide Mitka while they waited to smuggle her away from danger. Quinn had visited daily, was there to rock her to sleep every night, trying to commit her every feature to memory. He took countless holo images but deleted them as soon as they were taken, the risk of keeping one too great. Vette had never seen Quinn, who was so typically stoic, smile so much then he did in the past three days, nor had she ever seen him so sad.

Mitka finished the last of her bottle, Quinn had dosed it with enough sedative to ensure Mitka would not wake when they reached the space port. Not for the first time did he swallow a lump forming in his throat. Vette had packed the small, soft animal carrier with a familiar blanket, and Quinn tucked a letter, hand written, into the folds, and he placed the sleeping babe into the bag. Vette checked her pistols and handed Quinn his, they nodded to each other, grabbed the bag and headed for the space port.

The holo blipped with an incoming call, Ainsley appeared, “Captain Quinn, your shipment of Orokeets is here, just waiting to settle up and we’ll be out of your hair.”

Quinn nodded curtly, “I’ll be there shortly, with your pay Captain Isiz.”

Those damnable birds where all the rage with the Kaas city nobility, it was rare to see a highborn lady without one of the squawking, preening birds, the two creatures so alike he mused, he was thankful for the near constant rain lest the streets be stained white.

He strode into the space port, flashed his ident chip and was welcomed with crisp salutes and no questions, advantages to being married to one of the most powerful sith in the Empire. Vette followed close behind. A young officer saluted him at the hangar doors, handing him a data pad.

“All credentials check out sir, you didn’t have to come, we could have had the birds delivered to your estate.”

“Ensign, these birds are a personal gift for my wife, I would inspect the goods before accepting them, dismissed.”Quinn replied, signing his name at the bottom of the datapad.

“Yeah, and one of them’s mine!” added Vette

Quinn passed his hands over the security console when the ensign left, shutting off the security cameras. He and Vette entered, with a nod Vette fell back and began a perimeter sweep.

Standing by her large freighter stood the Captain Isiz, hands on hips, long leather coat only partially concealing the two vintage pistols, the gleaming durasteel glinting in the light. Quinn recalled her dossier, 4 bounties on her head, three for smuggling, two from the Hutt Cartel, one from the Exchange and one bounty for privateering from Imperial High Command. She was also a champion gunslinger, he read the reports of soldiers who had fought against her in the battle for Corellia, she had almost single handedly taken down the Voidwolf and turned his fleet of pirates against the Empire. It had been a devastating loss. She was an opponent to be respected.

A large Zabrak woman carried out a cage with two Orokeet chicks.

“Well Captain, as promised.” She nodded to the birds, then handed the Zabrak a datapad.

Quinn transferred the remaining credits, then place the bag on the floor gently, unzipping it, and lifted his sleeping daughter, cradling her protectively.

“Oh my staaars, you forget how little they are!” Ainsley squeaked gently.

Quinn started listing off all the necessities he had packed for her, he looked at the cage, as if reading his mind Ainsley put his worry to rest.

“Don’t you worry, I have my oldest sons old crib in there, she’ll be safe and comfortable.”

The Zabrak collected the bag that they had brought Mitka in and took it into the ship.

Vette circled, now on one of the high platforms, scanning for anything out of the ordinary, not much escaped her keen eyes. Then she saw it, a form, a shadow, she drew her pistols, crept closer, it was above her, all dark, blending easily with the pipes, wires, and beams of the hangar bay roof. She followed the form, and noticed the long graceful edge of a sniper rifle, Vette shot the form, in the knee.

“Quinn we’ve got someone up here”

The assassin fell hard onto the platform floor, grunting.

Quinn pulled his pistol and aimed it at Ainsley, Mitka still in his arms.

Ainsley pulled her pistols, aimed them both at Quinn.

“I think we might have ourselves a problem here Captain Quinn.” Ainsley said, a hard edge in her eyes.

“I dare say we do, Captain Isiz”.

Shiloh

Shiloh slipped her mask on, despite the pains he had taken to cover his tracks, she had picked up his scent, it was her job to find the hidden. Discover truths. She was good at it, she was the best, she both loved and hated her work, loved the puzzles, loved unraveling the clues. More often than not though, she hated the truths. She had discovered many truths in her career, about the Empire, about the Republic, about those that rule on both sides, and both sides were ugly. Thoughts drifted to her sister, her shy demeanor, her easy smile, her kind heart. She would be chewed up, spit out and crushed on Korriban, she would most likely die there, deemed weak for her compassionate heart. Her mother was a fool. Shiloh would fly her to Tython herself, as dangerous as it would be, the Jedi were far from perfect, but they would not kill Kianna for failure, they would nurture her, not condemn her for her sweet nature.

She pushed it out of her mind. Today she was tasked with murdering an innocent child, a mere babe in arms. Shiloh had not yet decided if she would go through with it. If after the Smuggler left she would simply let Quinn go. Lords Ardyth and Kaervrek would not know, it was a huge risk to take. Regardless she had followed the trail here, to this hangar, she spied a perfect birds nest, switched on her stealth field generator and climbed into the rafters to wait for her quarry.

The large freighter landed first. Shiloh, shot a homing beacon onto the hull, with her wrist attachment, the stealth field shimmered in the dust, but she remained hidden. A woman of about 30 stepped out, long duster, blonde hair, Cyborg, with extensive cybernetic enhancements on her right eye and face, with a well muscled red Zabrak, Mandalorian. Captain Ainsley Isiz and Akaavi Spar. The ship was inspected by three young Imperial officers, all seemed to check out. Not long after Malavai Quinn stepped into the hangar, with the Twilek Vette. Shiloh knew them both, personally, her and Vector had been invited to dine with the Emperor’s Wrath on more than one occasion. She respected Quinn immensely, she had hoped that she would not have been able to pick up his trail, and it had been a difficult trail to pick up.

She looked through the scope, read each parties lips. Waited. The child entered her scope, tiny, wrapped in a blanket, Quinn held her, there was no clear shot, Shiloh clenched her jaw, she had to decide.

White hot pain lanced through her, her whole body bent as she reached for her knee, she felt herself falling, she hit the metal floor with a grunt, the breath knocked out of her. She tried to breath in, once, twice, finally her lungs started working again, but her mask was too tight.

“Quinn we’ve got someone up here” Vette yelled down.

Shiloh looked up, two pistol barrels trained at her head.

“Up” the Twilek commanded her.

Shiloh struggled to her feet, her knee had a hole in it, she could smell her burnt flesh, the second she put weight on it, the pain flared white again, her stomach turned, but she held it. She limped forward, ahead of Vette, her mask still on, she breathed hard, a new pain coming from her side. A cracked rib maybe? When she got to Quinn, she noticed more guns out, the Mandalorian there now, large techstaff in hand, large bulbous and heavy looking ends. Lovely. One of them came down on her good leg, forcing her to her knees, sharp intake of breath, black spots in front of her eyes, or was it her mask? Her mask was ripped off, along with a handful of hair, but she was glad for the fresh air. For about five seconds, then all eyes were on her. She was relieved of her vibroblade, two pistols, 3 smoke grenades, her stealth generator and her second rifle. No one could ever argue Shiloh wasn’t prepared for all situations. Except for Twileks who could see through stealth generators.

“Cipher 9” Quinn looked at her, an emotionless look on his face.

“former” Shiloh corrected him, that earned her the back end of a pistol to the face. Now she tasted blood.

“You know her?” Asked Isiz, her pistols still drawn, one on Quinn and one on her.

“Yes but I didn’t hire her” Quinn looked at her then, expectant.

“You’re wife, Quinn, and her father. They wanted to ensure that you would do your duty, barring that, I was to do it in your stead.” She looked up at the Smuggler, “Never marry a Sith Pureblood, they’re a twisted lot.”

“No kidding” Ainsley agreed.

Quinn handed the baby to Vette, looked at Shiloh, put his hands around her neck and bent very closely, his lips brushing against her ear as her spoke. “I am going to kill you.”His hand squeezed, and then his other fist was on her, she saw stars, then again, and again. Shiloh was on the floor now, her nerves on fire, nothing but pain filled her thoughts, while Captain Malavai Quinn viciously assaulted his daughters would be assassin. There was fire in his eyes, his perfectly combed black hair tussled and out of place. His normally expressionless face, twisted in anger. Shiloh understood, she had threatened his child. She would have done the same to anyone who would have threatened one of her own. The three women looked on, not moving a muscle to help, all equally disgusted with someone who would kill a three day old infant. There was cold durasteel against her temple, she heard the the high pitched sound of the blaster charging.

“You don’t want to kill me” She choked out, she spit blood to help her lips and mouth form words, to keep breathing.

“I’m pretty sure he does sweetheart” Ainsley said matter of factly. “And if the good Captain wasn’t, I sure as hell would be. This is the kind of job you say no to, Blue, just some friendly advice before he puts a hole in your head”

“Lord…Ardyth is expecting my report, in person. If I don’t report to her, she’ll know. She’ll send another.” Shiloh waited, Lord Ardyth wasn’t expecting an in person report, but Shiloh honestly didn’t want to die, she had to take care of Kianna, she wanted to see Vector again, she would be needing another massage after this. She twisted, to look up at Quinn, barrel pressing painfully against her temple, boring a hole. She saw his eye twitch, recognition, mind working, chewing on her words.

“You will report to my wife that I did my duty, that I buried our child beside my mother in an unmarked grave” His voice was hoarse, but his composure was returning. He looked down at her, only one answer would do.

“Yes sir” Shiloh managed back, and she meant it, piss on the Sith, she was no baby killer, she vowed never to take on a target that was too young to legally drink. Her nose was bleeding she noted absently, broken too….she had such a pretty nose, the back of his pistol came down towards her, hard, Black spots, gave way to stars, then white, then blessedly the pain fell back as her eyes rolled, she passed out.

Ainsley

Ainsley watched the Chiss assassin go down with a thud, her chest moving up and down, still alive, her right eye swelling shut. She thought of her husband then, and how despite the fact that she was out to murder a baby, Corso wouldn’t have raised a finger to her. She considered Quinn, this born and bred Imperial, fixing the cuffs of his shirt, she saw cufflinks under that long black leather jacket he wore, cufflinks, Ainsley wondered if he even owned a t-shirt.

“We cannot linger here” He said crisply, tenderly taking the baby. He moved towards her, and Ainsley reached out her arms to take the small, still sleeping bundle. He stared at her for a long time, and her heart broke for him.

“Where will you take her?” he asked quietly.

“There’s a great orphanage on Coruscant, run by some really wonderful people, they have a 90% placement rate, the highest in the republic, probably the galaxy. From what I’ve been told the 10% that isn’t placed with families still get a top notch education and move on to be active and positive members of society, I’m pretty sure the woman who runs the place was raised there. New Beginnings is what they’re called.”

Quinn nodded, eyes never leaving his daughters sleeping face. Ainsley hesitated for a moment then put a hand on his shoulder, he looked up, his cool blue eyes shining, he was fighting hard to keep it together. “I’ll keep tabs on her. From one parent to another, I promise you, she’ll be loved!”

Then Malavai Quinn said something entirely out of character for him, “Thank you.” He placed her in Ainsleys arms, kissed his daughters forehead, and whispered “I love you”.

“Go now, I’ll take care of this mess” He nodded towards the crumpled, unconscious woman on the floor.

Ainsley turned and left, no more words to be spoken. Baby Mitka was so light in her arms, that new baby smell tickling her nose, she sighed.

Well after they had jumped to hyperspace, those little yellow eyes blinked open, they searched for those familiar blue eyes, his soft voice that she knew so well, her tummy rumbled, and she started to cry, little hands balled into fists, little legs kicking their displeasure.

Ainsley, had the bottle warmed and ready, “Shhhh, baby girl, it’s ok, it’s ok”. Mitka gulped it down, examining this new person, her little red hands flew up, and Ainsley offered her finger. Mitka grabbed hold of it, eyes still on Ainsleys face. They walked to the bridge together, Ainsley cooing quietly to her the entire time. It felt good to hold her, this little one who had lost everything just for the way she was born. Ainsley traced around her face, she gurgled and kicked her legs happily, they sat on the bridge like that for a couple of hours until Mitka fell asleep again.

She crept quietly back to her room, where she had set up the crib, and gently put her down. She watched her sleep a little while longer, then made her way to the holo room where Akaavi was reading.

“I’m in trouble” Ainsley announced.

Akaavi raised an eyebrow and put down the datapad. “Oh?”

“There’s no way I could ever give that baby up.” She threw her hand up in the air, “I swore, I was done having kids after Cohen was born, but…..This girl…I can’t. I made a promise to that she would be loved, and that red skin of hers, in the republic.” Ainsley knew Mitka would have a hard time growing up. The republic welcomed all alien species, but one look at that red skin and those ridges and most people would reject her.

“What about Corso?”

“Are you kidding? This is Corso Riggs, he won’t care, he wanted a daughter so bad, and was so sad when I said enough. He’ll be over the moons, he could give to ***** if she’s a pureblood.” Her husband, with the giant heart, always bringing home stray kittens he found in the field. He wouldn’t turn away a baby who had lost it’s parents. He couldn’t. He would love her as much as she loved her now. The boys could use a sister, she thought. She changed her route on the Navicomputer. It would take longer, they would need to stop to refuel, pick up some more baby supplies, but they were going straight home to Dantooine instead of Coruscant. Ainsley missed them suddenly, an ache in her chest, her three boys.

“We’ll make a quick stop on Nar Shaaddaa for fuel, baby stuff and some food, Shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours” She told Akaavi, as they settled in for a game of Paazak. They would be home within the week.