Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where is the emotion?

Lionflash
06.04.2012 , 12:41 PM | #1
Before I start, let me first clarify, I think the voice acting is great. I'm always amazed by how much there is and how far they've pushed it. Unfortunately, I find that there is a serious lack of emotion in my characters, specifically the 8 classes.

I haven't played them all yet, and not all the way to level 50, but I have yet to hear my character ever get emotional or... 'loud' about anything.

I was recently playing my male IA (whom, personally, is my favorite voice actor in the game), and without getting into any spoilers (and if you've played the IA you should know what I'm talking about), basically there are parts of the story where I would think my character would be yelling at someone at the top of his lungs.

I've even chosen a few dialogue options with an exclamation mark thinking my character us going to cuss someone out, or yell at someone or cry or scream or... anything really.

Every class I've played seems to be the same thing. When you are having a confrontation, every character seems to be calm, poised and collected. I've even seen my IA get knocked to his feet by an explosion and hold his head in pain, yet the voice work has him speaking all... regular. Perhaps it's the IA, the cool headed agent, but as I said, all of the other classes seem to be the same.

I'm sure many of you have been so mad at an NPC in the game that you couldn't wait to finally kill them. The same goes for me, but everytime it's always a... "Hey buddy, I'm gonna take you down..."

I'm exagerating a bit, but it's what it feels like to me. Anyone else bothered by this? Is there any class story that has an emotional lead? The only emotions I've ever seen (which aren't actually emotions) are flirting, and all the characters seem to flirt the same way; they play coy and sarcastic and shoot out these chessy one liners which get's most of the NPCs all hot and bothered.

Anyway, just what I was thinking about over lunch.

TL;DR - I want my character to yell at someone.

SNCommand
06.04.2012 , 12:44 PM | #2
Careful what you wish for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_lJTGKFP0

Lots of emotion right there
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Mirandel
06.04.2012 , 01:29 PM | #3
I gave up on emotions after the scene when my smuggler's ship was stolen and she acted like she lost and old broken pen. Even petitioned that in beta.

Looks like deep down all our characters are jedi. There is no emotions - there is peace

Wolfninjajedi
06.04.2012 , 01:34 PM | #4
Darth Baras has lots of emotion. :P But anyway, ya I can kinda agree on that would like a little bit more emotion from PCs. Perhaps, OP you could suggest it to the devs cause this isn't really the place for it.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Darth-Malice
06.04.2012 , 01:38 PM | #5
Only time I ever felt emotion in this game was during the Sith Inquisitor story on Balmorra you have to rescue a captain's son who was a Sith. My Sith ended up killing him for sport and he started screaming at me he was a good boy and he'd kill me. I actually felt pretty bad. Sadly thats it though.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

SNCommand
06.04.2012 , 01:40 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Malice View Post
Only time I ever felt emotion in this game was during the Sith Inquisitor story on Balmorra you have to rescue a captain's son who was a Sith. My Sith ended up killing him for sport and he started screaming at me he was a good boy and he'd kill me. I actually felt pretty bad. Sadly thats it though.
That son was a real douche though, also I forgot how tragic it all was with the "Congratulations with your promotion, Captain:"
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Lionflash
06.04.2012 , 02:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Darth Baras has lots of emotion. :P But anyway, ya I can kinda agree on that would like a little bit more emotion from PCs. Perhaps, OP you could suggest it to the devs cause this isn't really the place for it.
I wasn't going to bother them with this. It's too late now to do anything about it anyway. It's not like they are going to srop everything, erase their whiteboards, re-evaluate their priorities and put up a big pink post-it note that says "Lionflash Needs More Emotion ~".

It's too late to rewrite the script or recapture the audio. I was just hoping someone would say something like "You should check out the SW, he's always like this and says such and such."

Jenovan
06.04.2012 , 02:18 PM | #8
I definitely get where you're coming from. Although after the :| face the Warden (player character) had in Dragon Age: Origins, it's nice to have some emotive facial expressions to go with the dialogue, at least. ;P

I sort of wonder if this is a case of sticking to neutral ground: not making anything too extreme because one player might have expected it, but another would have found it out of character. If your paraphrase line is "I'm going to kill you now!", it could be anything from a scream of rage to a grim, menacing growl. BW can't know which people would prefer, so they kept it neutral.

...it's a theory, anyway

I do think the IA in particular is a master of cool, though. Playing through the story alongside my friend's IA, I can't remember him ever losing his composure, and it never seemed inappropriate.

I think my fem!BH has raised her voice at people a few times, but her vocal style seems to be more "gritty ******" than anything else.
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Termorn
06.04.2012 , 02:37 PM | #9
In the SW story, on Dromund Kaas:
Spoiler

And later:
Spoiler
<=============>|=====|<=============>
IMPERIAL DOMINANCE
<=============>|=====|<=============>

Lionflash
06.04.2012 , 02:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
I definitely get where you're coming from. Although after the :| face the Warden (player character) had in Dragon Age: Origins, it's nice to have some emotive facial expressions to go with the dialogue, at least. ;P

I sort of wonder if this is a case of sticking to neutral ground: not making anything too extreme because one player might have expected it, but another would have found it out of character. If your paraphrase line is "I'm going to kill you now!", it could be anything from a scream of rage to a grim, menacing growl. BW can't know which people would prefer, so they kept it neutral.

...it's a theory, anyway

I do think the IA in particular is a master of cool, though. Playing through the story alongside my friend's IA, I can't remember him ever losing his composure, and it never seemed inappropriate.

I think my fem!BH has raised her voice at people a few times, but her vocal style seems to be more "gritty ******" than anything else.
Yes, I hated the :| face too in DA:O that's a funny way of putting it, lol. It's one of the many reason I liked DA2 more than DA:O.

(I'm not going to get into that now, I have so many times before, but this is the SWTOR boards)

That's unfortunate that they would make that sarcrifice in order to keep things neutral and stale.

Now that I have you, (and I'm not going to make another thread for this), but a bit off topic... is there such a thing as a LS Bounty Hunter? And by that I mean, not a total D for boys, or a total B for girls...?

I liked that I can tailor my IA to not come accross as a loyal, dutybound jerk. I'm wondering if there are dialogue options for the BH that aren't "Pay me and you've got my attention..."