Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Ten Commandments of Huttball

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP

perih
06.04.2012 , 08:45 AM | #1
This is by no means a guide for Huttball. If you want that I sugest you read

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=54647

Rather than thats it is just a compilation of things I try to tell people in game and that I think would be interesting to keep in mind.

1 - Pass the ball.
The ball runs faster than the players if well passed.

2 - Pass the ball,
specially if your health is low!

3 - Observe commandments 1 and 2
and dont mind dyeing.
Keeping your life is not as important as keeping the ball to your side.

4 - Follow the ball.
Guard the ball carrier and healers (in that order of importance).
Heal and protect the carrier with any skill you might have.
CC the other teams carrier specially if he/she is in the fire pit. This may kill him/her or give time for your team defenses to restructure.
Dont CC in vain.

5 -.Position yourself to receive the ball from your carrier or intercept their pass,
preferably ahead of him.
If your carrier is being attacked, dont fight his attackers unless you know someone is positioned to receive the ball. Otherwise it is better that you get in position to receive the ball rather than try to help the carrier.

6 - Dont fight away from the ball.
dont fight 2x1, 3x1, 4x2, etc... Every time your team has many guys on a significantly shorter number of adversaries, their team will have some guys free to do whatever they want. Unless they are making the same mistake as you, this will eventually turn out bad to your team.

7 - Medals are not more important than the ball.
1 medal in a victory is better than some medals when you lose. (This is just a strong impression. I wouldnt know if there is any balance point here)

8 - Dont kill the attackers that just scored.
  • They will die and have full health and a quick ride to their defense lines where your team might be trying to take the ball. Let them run back with low health. This may thin down their defense lines.
  • As so wisely pointed below one of our forum friends, this is a dangerous one. You have to be sure the guys wont stay there to receive a further pass. Judgement is needed here, but id say its safe to say that if the guy jumps into the pit, u dont have to kill him.

8 - (as sugested by another forum mate, ProfessorWalsh )
"Don't kill the attackers that just scored unless their team controls center, at which point doing this actually becomes a priority only while they remain in the endzone"

9 - Killing.is not important unless it is done in order to gain or keep possession of the ball

10 - Be careful with Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior ball carriers!
(edit) Also Vanguards/Powertechs with an specific tree ability

Dont stand in positions ahead of them that will let them jump to you and gain significant space towards your defesnive lines.
In a similar situation, dont use any skill you have to "pull" the ball carrier torwards your defensive lines.
YOU WANT THAT GUY AS FAR FROM YOUR DEFENSE LINES AS POSSIBLE
o Unless you are 200%, not naively, sure that you will kill him and regain the ball. NEVER TAKE RISKS HERE!

1st Amendment:

Pass the f****ing ball!!!!!!!!! . . . . . . (modified as sugested by Bazzoong )

Any sugestions, corrections, "addendi" or amendments would be highly and humbly apreciated.
"Id never join a guild that would accept me as a member" - Darth Marx

lijahrobinson
06.04.2012 , 08:48 AM | #2
It never ceases to amaze me that after i score and drop into their pit, that there are usually 2 or more people that follow me down. I entertain them for a while, throw out a AoE Stun and an AoE slow before i die. Our team usually scores at least once during the time it takes them to kill me and get anywhere close to a position of relevance.
Megatog - Level 50 Juggernaut -Valor 9X
Tandy - Level 50 Sniper - Valor 8X
Rainbow Space Unicorns
Prophecy of the Five Server

Ridickilis
06.04.2012 , 10:06 AM | #3
Also add controlling mid/ball respawn is important as well.

Staalker
06.04.2012 , 10:09 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ridickilis View Post
Also add controlling mid/ball respawn is important as well.
Problem with saying "control mid" is that the people who need these guidelines...they have no idea what you are talking about.

So, it needs it's own post where it can be explained and understood.

Veniras
06.04.2012 , 10:14 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by perih View Post
8 - Dont kill the attackers that just scored.
They will die and have full health and a quick ride to their defense lines where your team might be trying to take the ball. Let them run back with low health. This may thin down their defense lines.
Dangerous one. You can't have potentially ball-receiving people in your endzone unattended

jblazen
06.04.2012 , 10:22 AM | #6
Keep the slows up on the enemy when your team has the ball. Sometimes it's better to leave them behind rather than kill them so they don't spawn ahead of your ball carrier and kill him right before he gets to the goal line.

Sorcs/sages use your pull wisely. Don't waste it. Use it to bypass a fire pit or pull them into the end zone if they're getting focused.

Do not CC the enemy ball carrier just because it's off CD. Filling his resolve bar is the worst thing you can do. Use it for the fire pit or to knock him into the pit.

KEYBIND YOUR THROW BALL ABILITY. Derp, Derp....

If your team has the ball, get ahead of the ball carrier but not beyond range for a pass. Killing that enemy is not as important as giving a pass option and keeping the ball moving fwd.

Learn the map. Learn the pass points in the corners on the second level and the top center area for easy scores.

Stealth classes can camp the end zone for easy scores. Be sure to remember to UNSTEALTH to catch the ball....

All common sense obviously but it seems lots need help.

perih
06.04.2012 , 10:29 AM | #7
I have to confess that quite often I dont follow some of those sugestions listed above. Speacially when I spot that the team is stupid or too new to the game and winning is a wild dream. Its is very easy for me to turn on stupid mode and turn off dicipline mode.

perih
06.04.2012 , 10:30 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Veniras View Post
Dangerous one. You can't have potentially ball-receiving people in your endzone unattended
Absolutely true! Its a dangerous one!!

UGLYMRJ
06.04.2012 , 10:36 AM | #9
So much truth in original post... So much of this list gets ignored.

My guild has rolled some Huttball matches and we've barely done ANY damage or anything. People are so unaware and it's annoying. I feel like most people treat it like a deathmatch arena and not what it is. I could go on and on about every thing you listed but I will leave it as... Truth 1-10. All of it...

Another thing I see a lot of people screw up on and it's more of an awareness and helpful hint kinda thing. But you're on narrow walkways and surrounded my fire and acid. Be aware of your surroundings and keep in mind that your enemies have pulls, KB's and stuns.

1. I always position my self to a spot that if I get knocked back I'm not falling to the bottom of the pit or into one of the many traps.
2. If near the battle or in combat... I always have my break up before crossing the fire pits.
3. And if you see a BH or Trooper standing on the edge of the acid pit... you probably don't want to be on the opposite side of the pit from him...

Astarica
06.04.2012 , 11:33 AM | #10
The biggest problem with Huttball is that most people think it involves strat. It does not. About 95% of the time the team with an obvious superior edge in deathmatching capability will win assuming there isn't a gross mismatch in class composition (i.e. they have a Jugg and you don't). Unless you have a move that can instantly take out the ball carrier (i.e. pull him into fire), you still approach Huttball the same way as any other WZ, i.e. work on the healers first because you're almost certainly never killing the ball carrier while his healers are still alive. Focus fire on the ball carrier is almost a sure way to lose Huttball in an equal match, because anyone who is guarded and supported by 2 healers will probably never die, and certainly any tank in that situation indeed will never die.

All the fancy strat in Huttball is only meaningful if you know brute force will definitely fail. Controlling the middle is a deathmatch strategy. There isn't some magic that convinces your enemy to give up the valuable territory. The only way you can pull it off is by better at killing them than they're at killing you. If you can't control middle then you got no choice but to rely on fancy passing or whatever, but strategy is never the first thing you try in Huttball unless you're sure your team stands no chance in a direct assault.

You can basically think of Huttball like American Football. The rushing game is brute force (kill everyone you see on the way to run the ball in) and passing game is finesse, and just like American Football, if you can't stop the enemy rushing game at all, all the fancy passing on your side is unlikely to do any good. Passing is only meaningful if you can stop their rushing game, just like strategy is only meaningful in Huttball if you can kill their ball carrier (which is actually very hard without using a trap against strong teams).