Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it OK for the game to expend Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is it OK for the game to expend Star Wars

ProfessorWalsh
06.04.2012 , 11:21 AM | #11
The biggest problem with expanding technology (as I touched on in my initial reply) has to do with the time that SWToR takes place in.

I need only look as far as the "Alternate Reality Reboot" of Star Trek to explain this. The universe that movie took place in will never match up with the universe of TNG and not just for the destruction of Vulcan. In that movie, in one fell swoop, they had Scotty completely outmod the Warp Drive.

One of the big flaws of transporters was that they were short ranged. They could barely reach a planet from a low orbit. They were decent and saved on budget when they made the series.

In the reboot film Scotty modifies a Transporter to teleport from a planet onto a ship that had been traveling at a high warp for hours if not over a day. This one use of technology largely outmods the Warp Drive. The Warp Drive is slower, more costly, and ultimately useless for anything that isn't extremely long distance. This means that travel between close planets could easily be handled by Transporter relay stations thus changing the fundamental foundation for Star Trek travel.

In the Old Republic and in Star Wars they have to be very careful whenever they "add" something to the lore. They especially have to be careful to include a caveat to explain why something never appears again. A prime example would be if they added Transporters.

If Transporters were common on military ships (or even rare) 3,000+ years before the movie series it begs the question "Where did all of these go?" for example. This is especially daunting because due to things like "cryogenic suspended animation" (featured in the EU) there are all kinds of characters who lived in this time period and several of them were techs.

So this is why adding tech can be really bad. One incident of added tech can completely destroy the credibility of an IP if it is added "in the past" as it were.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

Captain_Zone
06.04.2012 , 12:16 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
The biggest problem with expanding technology (as I touched on in my initial reply) has to do with the time that SWToR takes place in.

I need only look as far as the "Alternate Reality Reboot" of Star Trek to explain this. The universe that movie took place in will never match up with the universe of TNG and not just for the destruction of Vulcan. In that movie, in one fell swoop, they had Scotty completely outmod the Warp Drive.

One of the big flaws of transporters was that they were short ranged. They could barely reach a planet from a low orbit. They were decent and saved on budget when they made the series.

In the reboot film Scotty modifies a Transporter to teleport from a planet onto a ship that had been traveling at a high warp for hours if not over a day. This one use of technology largely outmods the Warp Drive. The Warp Drive is slower, more costly, and ultimately useless for anything that isn't extremely long distance. This means that travel between close planets could easily be handled by Transporter relay stations thus changing the fundamental foundation for Star Trek travel.

In the Old Republic and in Star Wars they have to be very careful whenever they "add" something to the lore. They especially have to be careful to include a caveat to explain why something never appears again. A prime example would be if they added Transporters.

If Transporters were common on military ships (or even rare) 3,000+ years before the movie series it begs the question "Where did all of these go?" for example. This is especially daunting because due to things like "cryogenic suspended animation" (featured in the EU) there are all kinds of characters who lived in this time period and several of them were techs.

So this is why adding tech can be really bad. One incident of added tech can completely destroy the credibility of an IP if it is added "in the past" as it were.
Also, a lot of tech advances that are here in this time frame of TOR could be explained as "lost technology" by the time of the prequels. Personal stealth fields, for example. Something may happen between now and then that causes the technology to no longer exist. Could be anything from it being outlawed by the Republic to the central location being destroyed along with every known stealth device. Same could be said with personal shield generators.

In ESB, the Millenium Falcon was "too small" to fit a cloaking device (Another Roddenberry "invention"), yet in TOR some rather small ships have cloaking tech on board. Tech loss is about the only way to explain that, imo. I'm of course referring to Harron Tavus's ship in the Shadow Fist interlude mission between Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine.

Everyone just has to remember, this game is set about 3600 years before the prequels. Stuff happens.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Jiating
06.04.2012 , 02:16 PM | #13
Tech wise, what you have to remember is that Star Wars never was and never really will be Sci-Fi more than it is Space Fantasy.
It is Space Wizards and Knights fighting with space magic. The focus has always been on this. And not on the tech, or human advancement as a result.
The overall tech level has remained the same/stagnated more as a result of this setting, but it is one Lucas wanted/loves.
There is not an overall loss of tech from this era to the standard setting, it is just one level stagnation(which is impossible and silly...but is the way it is).
The Rakata essentially become the Roman Empire, and us and the settings the knights/players in the Dark Ages. As far as we know the Roman Empire was the height of power and tech. Everything we do since is patterned off them, and whatever we can learn from them.
Its all one big technological time sink in between such sporadic developments like slightly better hyperdrives, etc.

I was all set to argue the scotty COMPLETELY outmoding Warp Travel in the case of the movie, but i figure one nerd setting is enough eh.