Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Operative vs Sniper

Valamas
12.18.2011 , 10:29 AM | #1
Hi guys just about to choose my advanced class so im hoping for a little info and advice.

Ill tell you a little bit about what I like firstly. Im a big fan of stealth and assassin characters in games. I think ive chosen the right class considering what ive heard and seen so far.

Secondly, im a big fan of ranged dps however when it comes to stealth and performing quick melee assassination skills for burst dps im a big fan of that too.

What im wondering is which path would you advise for me. Is operative class a mix of sniper and then he gets sneak and melee skills or is it mostly melee.

Is the sniper able to sneak also? Which has the highest DPS? If the operative is mostly melee DPS and sneaking, is there any skills such as in guild wars/wow/rift etc where you shadow step for example and pretty much teleport to your target?

If you have any of them answers they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
December Crew

"The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up."

Valamas
12.18.2011 , 10:33 AM | #2
I guess I should also ad, im more PvE at the moment but I am a big PvP fan as well so if there is class which is more suited to either that would also be helpful
December Crew

"The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up."

mydsmbr
12.18.2011 , 11:30 AM | #3
I can't help you out, but I'm in the same situation. While I enjoy melee-stealth, I enjoy ranged-combat too and before rolling a second IA, I'm not sure what to try out first.

Stobei
12.18.2011 , 11:58 AM | #4
Im playing Operative as ranged healer, so I'm not taking anything but the healing tree. what i have been doing is staying at range. Then using my melee skills when the baddies get up close. If I'm soloing and I need someone stunned, I'll move in closer, but most of the time im in cover. So far its working fine, at level 18.
Stobei Ousres
Operative
TEF
Port Nowhere

krekka
12.18.2011 , 12:01 PM | #5
Well im operative atm and loving it! Snipers dont get to stealth and require staying in cover to get off their strong abilities while ops are very similar to the wow rogue unless you spec into heals. Being op u get a little more flexibility in what you do as you can respec to heals if you dont like dps . Id say generally snipers do more damage but ops got some real nice burst and cc and can dismantle most if not all classes with ease 1v1

BobaTed
12.18.2011 , 01:13 PM | #6
I enjoy stealth classes too, but I wasn't impressed with Operative after 20 levels during the Thanksgiving beta. This is purely subjective, but I didn't feel like an Imperial Agent, and I wasn't impressed with either the melee skills or the healing. There were times where I was trying to "train" myself on melee, but kept falling back into a more sniper-ish role because it felt like I was doing more damage/CC that way.

Maybe Operatives come into their own later, or maybe I was missing something. Decided to go Sniper for early access, and it feels more natural to me so far. Also rolling a Sith Assassin to get my stealth giggles in.

DrekorSilverfang
12.18.2011 , 01:49 PM | #7
Quote:
I enjoy stealth classes too, but I wasn't impressed with Operative after 20 levels during the Thanksgiving beta. This is purely subjective, but I didn't feel like an Imperial Agent, and I wasn't impressed with either the melee skills or the healing. There were times where I was trying to "train" myself on melee, but kept falling back into a more sniper-ish role because it felt like I was doing more damage/CC that way.

Maybe Operatives come into their own later, or maybe I was missing something. Decided to go Sniper for early access, and it feels more natural to me so far. Also rolling a Sith Assassin to get my stealth giggles in.
Concealment Operatives come into their own at L20 when they get lacerate. Medicine operatives take until L30 before they really shine. I'm not sure on lethality. All of them are perfectly viable though.

Sanctioned
12.18.2011 , 02:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BobaTed View Post

It shouldn't be this way, but the role of a melee Ops doesn't come to life until lvl 20 (or slightly later if you put points in other trees). You can practically stay melee once you get that.

Sanctioned
12.18.2011 , 02:20 PM | #9
I posted this in another thread here explaining why I love Operative and I didn't want to type it up again, so reposting here:

Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
Are you kidding? The Operative is the most fun I've had. Story is great. Stunning and stabbing other players is great. Going into a heroic alone, sleep-darting mobs as you sneak passed them, clicking on your objective/assassinating your target(s), then quietly slipping back out = nothing like it in the game.

Shadowing a player who is unknowingly clearing guarded objectives for you as well. Flashbanging a group of players trying to take out your huttball carrier. Sleep darting a player trying to plant an explosive or take over your turret. Your entire team is causing a massive diversion trying to blow up one door, while you're alone at the other door planting your explosives.

Or you can forget about objectives and just go around kicking *** and taking numbers. You can play as the bottom-feeder 1-rotation killer, patrolling the battlefield for low-health players. Or you can play as the achilles type, and search the warzone for that one challenging player. Or if you just plain don't like someone, just constantly seek that person out and ignore the rest of the enemy, then wait on the forums for the inevitable QQ IA IS OP thread. Stealth allows you to pick and choose which of those roles you want to play at the moment.

IA has super fun abilities that make for a superb time. As an Operative, you can melee-DPS your way around, or if you really have to, you have ranged Imperial Agent skills you can fall back on while taking cover; you can stealth for offensive and defensive purposes, or heal and keep yourself alive that way. Ops is extremely flexible.

VHStape
12.18.2011 , 03:18 PM | #10
Snipe is pure DPS, ops seem a little more versatile in pvp, kinda like a feral druid on the "other" mmo. that being said, snipes and engs can do huge damage from far away, keeping you alive, and away form the hand-to-hand combat. So, the Q is, Stabey, stabey, stabity, stab, or pew, pew, pew, pew, kaploo,very scientific .