Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horizontal scaling, a new type of progression.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Horizontal scaling, a new type of progression.

Majspuffen
01.10.2013 , 05:26 PM | #61
I forgot to mention;

On my server, the progenitor, there is currently a scheduled event for this Sunday. Ranked Warzones, with the set of rules that you are only allowed to wear recruit gear. This is to get as many people into RWZs as possible, and to have a level playing field.

Right now it is really the community that is keeping this game alive, not Bioware or EA.
Lambaste!
Best talent in the Galaxy!

Capetoider
01.10.2013 , 07:44 PM | #62
This remembers me of Chrono Cross... you don't level... you get stats as you progress and kill stuff, things do got easier, but there is always the challenge because you not lvl99 who don't bother with that puny thing.
May the Force Be With You!

Jawstheshark
01.10.2013 , 10:08 PM | #63
This sort of endgame you suggest would be much more suited to SWG.

For BW to fully embrace this concept would be a fundamental shift in their product. I do not see it happening.

I do agree it would be easier to apply to the PvP environment, but even there it would be a narrow line to walk to keep those who enjoy the current system and adopt a more horizontal approach.

Some good thought provoking ideas, but really these are concepts decided before any code is made. Not things to apply 1 year into production. Such things would need quite alot of fleshing out and as others have mentioned, more would need to be done to motivate players to have desire to repeatedly engage in the content.

Majspuffen
01.11.2013 , 08:36 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Jawstheshark View Post
This sort of endgame you suggest would be much more suited to SWG.

For BW to fully embrace this concept would be a fundamental shift in their product. I do not see it happening.

I do agree it would be easier to apply to the PvP environment, but even there it would be a narrow line to walk to keep those who enjoy the current system and adopt a more horizontal approach.

Some good thought provoking ideas, but really these are concepts decided before any code is made. Not things to apply 1 year into production. Such things would need quite alot of fleshing out and as others have mentioned, more would need to be done to motivate players to have desire to repeatedly engage in the content.
I can understand that they cannot change the game as it is now, but there is ample opportunity for level 55. They could release the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and announce that there won't be any gear higher than what you can get at level 55, and then start selling armorings (with set bonuses), mods and enhancements seperately, so you build your own gear. There will always be cookie cutter specs and cookie cutter gear. You can't prevent that. Not even in vertical scaling.

But I don't think they will do it. I look on the game now, and reflect upon its history and I feel outright depressed. I guess that should be the first warning signal to unsubscribe. They could have had lots of 4man, 8man and 16 man content in addition to balanced PvP, had they just gone with Horizontal Scaling.

Look at World of Warcraft. They actaully embrace horizontal scaling, in a sense. They have made challenge modes for dungeons, which will reduce your item level so that it's low enough to present a challenge. That is not an elegant fix, but in WoW I suspect it works just fine. GW2 has horizonal scaling for their warzones/battlegrounds. That's not an elegant fix either, in my honest opinion. As much as I like horizontal scaling, I think I'd prefer SWTORs current gearing over GW2s. In GW2, you have your gear, and your gear for some specific playground. A friend described it as playing a different game in the game. That does not sound appealing.

Anyways it's probably never going to happen. I don't want to give up on this game, but I don't think Rise of the Hutt Cartel is going to make things much better. At best we'll have one or two new flashpoints and one operation. Probably no new Warzones. So everything they've built up to this point has been for naught. This game has had the worst pacing I've ever seen. New players don't get to experience the old content as it was supposed to be experienced, and most old players have quit.
Lambaste!
Best talent in the Galaxy!

Jawstheshark
01.11.2013 , 10:13 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Majspuffen View Post
I can understand that they cannot change the game as it is now, but there is ample opportunity for level 55. They could release the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and announce that there won't be any gear higher than what you can get at level 55, and then start selling armorings (with set bonuses), mods and enhancements seperately, so you build your own gear. There will always be cookie cutter specs and cookie cutter gear. You can't prevent that. Not even in vertical scaling.
Your realize RotHC is likely 90%+ coded by this point, right?

Adding in hard to do Codex entries, and NM modes to Flashpoints are two good things to do that would increase the gameplay without adding gear. I agree. Many, Many people have also asked for these type of additions to the game.

jorill
01.11.2013 , 10:54 AM | #66
I think this idea is better suited for pvp and maybe as an addition to pve. I think it would decimate the raiding guilds if it went to a completely linear progression. However there are also elements of what you speak of in the game. I know NM KP for one doesnt give you any better gear but gives you a title if you finish it in under 2 hours.