Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

MindBullet
06.02.2012 , 07:15 AM | #1
In my opinion, the single most important factor that is affecting SWTOR's current situation, as well as it's future, is the reputation this game has. I'm not speaking of the content, as I am one of the few who understand that new MMOs aren't always as polished as we want. What I speak of is the perception of the gamer community as a whole towards this game and it's developers.

It's a sad fact that many have already denounced this game dead or dying. They call it "TORtanic". They joke about the game going F2P. The game's own community forums are full of topics containing nothing but farewell letters and post-mortems. I'm not even going to go into how many times the Dev team's little "gaffes" have made headlines on gaming websites. This, coupled with current players frustrations towards the Devs (Soon™), and general EA hatred, does not paint a pretty picture.

New players look into this game and hear nothing but negativity. Old players are hesitant to return due to bad press or experiences. Even if Bioware manages to fix everything the current player base is calling for, would they be able to bring people in when the current outlook on this game is so incredibly antagonistic? Server transfers and merges will soothe the aches of the current player base, but it's only solving the issue of keeping the current players happy. If anything, the need for these transfers showcases to new players how badly the population has been hurt. It may draw back a few old players who are waiting on this, but I don't see it being enough to change the ever downward trend that SWTOR has been experiencing.

So my question to you is this: Is there something that we as a community can do to help fix this game's reputation? Is this an issue only further development can change? Do the community managers/Dev team need to change the way they do things? Or given enough time and content updates, will SWTOR make a miraculous comeback to be the MMO we all want it to be?

Jett-Rinn
06.02.2012 , 07:24 AM | #2
No because every positive post gets closed while hate threads by the same fifteen or twenty trolls are allowed to be opened for weeks. It's up to the community manager to stop providing the stage and rocks for those that hate BioWare no matter what, the last one refused to do it...and the new one isn't doing too much in that regard either.
Remember kids say anything remotely positive about SWTOR and you're automatically labeled a Bioware employee.

Valkirus
06.02.2012 , 07:34 AM | #3
It is silly to blame or hold accountable the players. The rise or fall of TOR rests solely in the hands of BioWare. Because the majority of any players in a MMO game seldom post on the forums. BioWare does need to look at the input on the forums for improvement of the game, but more importantly, they need to look at thier own internal data to see what direction the game needs to go.

For a example, this was a post from a Blizz moderator about players complaining about a feature they added and how do they know what is needed for the game versus the input of the players on the forums....

...... " By looking at actual stats, actual progression, time spent playing, where, and to what extent, ... so yes, we absolutely are able to tell without a doubt that the plan we're enacting is actually what players playing the game want and need, and are not just listening to people on the forums. " .......

How well BioWare does this wil determine the future success of TOR.
Trust is something which is earned.

JudasMagnus
06.02.2012 , 07:35 AM | #4
The reputation would be worse if the mods DIDN'T close the threads of every player's horror story of how their server is dead.

TOGFelix
06.02.2012 , 07:35 AM | #5
No

At this point either the development team realizes that this ship can in fact sink and take the appropriate actions, or we watch this ship go down.
Asumi Ozsumi
HoGgy Style

Karabal
06.02.2012 , 07:41 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jett-Rinn View Post
No because every positive post gets closed while hate threads by the same fifteen or twenty trolls are allowed to be opened for weeks. It's up to the community manager to stop providing the stage and rocks for those that hate BioWare no matter what, the last one refused to do it...and the new one isn't doing too much in that regard either.
Not every negative post is from people that hate BioWare. In fact its probably the opposite. The negative posts are from those that are most affected in one way or the other and are die hard fans that are venting their frustration. What do you think is more important for BioWare? The fluffy posts from people hoping to gain some kind of forum favor off the community and BioWare reps? Or the posts that help the developers understand and fix the problems that will kill the game. Yes there are probably over a thousand pages of complaints about low population. But those thousand pages are worth more to BioWare than all the posts from the Egyptian Swimmers in de Nile (denial).

sambeta
06.02.2012 , 08:01 AM | #7
What's hurting Bioware is arrogance.

Rayla_Felana
06.02.2012 , 08:02 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jett-Rinn View Post
This.

DarkerMatter
06.02.2012 , 08:12 AM | #9
I personally think that the main reason that this game is not doing well is that it followed the WoW formula. Whoever at EA/BioWare thought that copying WoW would be a good idea was quite frankly wrong. Although the story aspect is very good, after 9 years of WoW, players really wanted something different than the same old grinds. It also does not help that some of the same bugs that were in beta are still around. Add to that the features that should have been in the game at launch that are still not in game as of 2 major patchs and numerous minor patches....

If the plan was to copy WoW's formula they failed horribly. The game (a game released in 2011mind you) should have had the feature that the current WoW has now, not what the 2004 WoW had at launch. Going back in time feature wise is not the way to make a current MMO.

With all that said I still like this game....but it needs serious work.
Pessimism is a better way of thinking if you don't expect the best of things, you wont be disappointed when they suck, and be happily surprised when things turn out for the best.

Darth_Bond
06.02.2012 , 08:26 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JudasMagnus View Post
The reputation would be worse if the mods DIDN'T close the threads of every player's horror story of how their server is dead.
yes, the reputation would match reality in that case, that the servers truly ARE dead!
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!