Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[WIndows 7 Guide] How To Increase SWTOR Performance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[WIndows 7 Guide] How To Increase SWTOR Performance

Lunez
06.03.2012 , 08:52 PM | #11
I'm sort of going to say this just once because it hits a nerve of mine. I don't want to see morons try to turn this thread into just another BW-bashing arena for people that don't understand how their computer functions. This isn't a playground for complainers, this is a platform to educate you on how to squeeze out better performance out of your machine.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rikeryo View Post
op should mention that most performance problems are a result of bad coding and general optimization and cannot be fixed by user.
Video game coding has nothing to do with how your PC performs and runs software. Please don't confuse the two. I would be more than happy to direct you towards some resources that you could read up on your current hardware to learn about why this isn't a game-code issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by Talarchy View Post
Yes, I agree. I feel if you have to go to this much effort to get the game to run you should look at upgrading (games)
Don't be ridiculous. This isn't a SWTOR problem, this is a WIDNOWS problem. All of these things I'm showing you how to do here have absolutely 100% nothing to do with SWTOR, and are actually just a list of really common adjustments that tech-savvy people do (myself included) to make Windows run smoother and more efficient so that we can crank up the performance of our performance-intensive software (including video games).

ChaosKirin
06.03.2012 , 09:05 PM | #12
Well, I'm certainly not complaining.

Just turning Aero off made the game run so fast that my camera rotation speed was too quick and had actually gone around the bend and made my enjoyment of the game bad. XD So I went into my graphics cards settings and upped the quality, and now it's perfect. Thanks for posting this.

I probably should have realized that Aero was causing problems. It never really crossed my mind, though, you know? Just one of those things that I was always like 'oh, that's there,' and never bothered to look into again. This is amazing.

Lunez
06.03.2012 , 09:10 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ChaosKirin View Post
Well, I'm certainly not complaining.

Just turning Aero off made the game run so fast that my camera rotation speed was too quick and had actually gone around the bend and made my enjoyment of the game bad. XD So I went into my graphics cards settings and upped the quality, and now it's perfect. Thanks for posting this.

I probably should have realized that Aero was causing problems. It never really crossed my mind, though, you know? Just one of those things that I was always like 'oh, that's there,' and never bothered to look into again. This is amazing.
I'm really glad this helped you crank up your gameplay. It's amazing sometimes how we can tweak Windows to make just about everything run better.

Xaintis
06.03.2012 , 09:32 PM | #14
Great post!

KivanSane
06.03.2012 , 09:54 PM | #15
And here's my tips.

turn graphics down to 800 x 600 mode

Get rid of your desk top wall paper

Turn ON your fire wall (you are on windows) but OFF the anti-V stuff.

Run just the game , nothing else.

These tips allowed me to run SWTOR for 30 min at a time on a system that was technically below the minimum specs.

In the end I orderd an Alienware computer with an i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram and a 1 gig graphics card , and now I run it on max settings (if I choose... makes some of the text hard to read on max..they really gotta give you an option somewhere to change the font size on those sub titles )
Survey says : need more story....but we already have more story than anyone else ! ... too bad. need more story.

XadennX
06.03.2012 , 10:30 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikeryo View Post
op should mention that most performance problems are a result of bad coding and general optimization and cannot be fixed by user.
So much of this ^^
THE NERF HERDERS

There's a sale at the Maul.... everything's half off.

WrecklessMEDIC
06.03.2012 , 10:38 PM | #17
Awesome tips! I just went and followed a few of them to upgrade my wife and son's older PC's. Specifically the power, visual effects, and Windows Classic settings. And within 2 minutes their computers are running SWTOR noticeably faster.

Thank you!

Darth_Victus
06.04.2012 , 01:11 AM | #18
Great thread.

I tried a few of these and immediately my performance improved greatly. Going to share this with my guild.

Hartburn
06.04.2012 , 01:44 AM | #19
Thanks for this!
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven."

lord_valdor
06.04.2012 , 03:50 AM | #20
I just brought a gaming rig and i wasnt sure if i needed this as i have 8gig ram, quad core processor and an ati 6770 etc anyway i followed some of the tips such as turning windows aero glass off, turned the peek feature, disabled most of my start up programs and the windows 7 search feature. So far my computer seems nice and nippy and faster than usual.
Havent tried the game yet as i am currently defragging my hardrive, so hopefully will try that out after and let you all now, hopefully i can finally force all my settings in my ati control panel to max
'They shall be My Hammer, the sword in My hand, the gauntlet about My fist, the bane of My foes and woes of the treacherous. When no others may stand beside them, they shall fight. Only the greatest shall enter their ranks, for unto them do I entrust stewardship over the Gates of Hell'