Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Critical Analysis of Star Wars End Game Crafting:

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Critical Analysis of Star Wars End Game Crafting:

uniz
06.09.2012 , 02:57 PM | #11
every few weeks someone posts a "solution" to a percieved crewskill problem in this game. usually such individuals came from a mmo like swg where crafting played a major role. this is the fault of the problem in that they think every mmo should have such a feature where in fact it is rare that one does. the generic mmo end game gear is gained through doing end game content and looting it; not from crafting it. such mmos do have some end game viable trade skills but not all of them are as viable as others. this game is no different,

the op's post is interesting and it is obvious he put alot of thought into it. but he didnt look at what is going on in 1.3. if he had he would have rethought out alot of things. for example the hm will now give out bh coms if you use the new lfg as a reward for doing so. it will give out enough coms such that bh com gear will now be the "new" farmed after gear for most. now anything you propose in making in your post is equally as worthless as level 49 stuff we can do now.

what would be nice is having schematics boe or boa. not bop. the mats need to drop from the content that is the same quality as the gear they make. not from above it. i am all for puchasing mats with coms as long as it is not dailies but rather those you get from doing the content the mats drop in. dailies are fine for crafting level 50 items and the few other rakata and other items we now can get. bh or columni coms would be more balanced choicewise.

Daefaroth
06.10.2012 , 02:23 AM | #12
making all the Augmented gear is all viable for now, except that they'll be leaving Artifice and Cybertech out of the loop in 1.3.

one other side effect of the Augment Kits in 1.3, is that the BoP raid drop schematics will be even more useless than they are now. The only current advantage is being able to crit those with augments, and even then it's really not better than orange gear with Tionese+ mods in them.

It would be good for the crafted gear to be better than the drops of the same raids, but that's not really worthwhile if we'll be able to get BH gear more easily.

But if they're all BoE/bind-to-legacy, then the schematics are at least viable to the crafter for alts and guildmates, rather than vendor trash as they are most of the time now.

Crionos
07.16.2012 , 11:20 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
every few weeks someone posts a "solution" to a percieved crewskill problem in this game. usually such individuals came from a mmo like swg where crafting played a major role. this is the fault of the problem in that they think every mmo should have such a feature where in fact it is rare that one does. the generic mmo end game gear is gained through doing end game content and looting it; not from crafting it. such mmos do have some end game viable trade skills but not all of them are as viable as others. this game is no different,

the op's post is interesting and it is obvious he put alot of thought into it. but he didnt look at what is going on in 1.3. if he had he would have rethought out alot of things. for example the hm will now give out bh coms if you use the new lfg as a reward for doing so. it will give out enough coms such that bh com gear will now be the "new" farmed after gear for most. now anything you propose in making in your post is equally as worthless as level 49 stuff we can do now.

what would be nice is having schematics boe or boa. not bop. the mats need to drop from the content that is the same quality as the gear they make. not from above it. i am all for puchasing mats with coms as long as it is not dailies but rather those you get from doing the content the mats drop in. dailies are fine for crafting level 50 items and the few other rakata and other items we now can get. bh or columni coms would be more balanced choicewise.
Actually I did think about 1.3 and beyond... I was just using current content as an example. This post was pre-1.3, but augmenting gear has killed all crafting now in the game. I actually came from a WoW, CoH, and WAR background. What I was proposing would work going forward to offer end game individuals that run group operations a chance to gear themselves and guild mates with gap gear that won't allow them to clear the next hardest difficulty mode but will allow them to at least get their feet wet in new content. Bioware's current crafting system is unfortunately broken and as it sits right now players will have over 6 mo. to be fully geared in black hole, assuming the player could find a group everyday and run both ops they would still take over 8 weeks, assuming they do not have groups to pull that individual through EC SM or through LI HM, even so that still drops things that time down by only an additional BH piece per week. This may make it viable, but it still doesn't allow a brand new player to access the current content, ie Lost Island HM and Explosive Conflict. This is wear crafting could come in to supplement the new players and get them engaged in content sooner. This could even work for PvP and allowing players to get gap gear between Battlemaster and War Hero
GM The Omega Knights

Ampalaea
07.17.2012 , 04:41 AM | #14
Well honesty what do you expect from the worst wow copiers? The game is wow in space with a voice acting mode..
I really will only play the game to level my classes, see their stories and then I am off...

Just another crap game that end game is only raid and dailies...So many wow clones out there, and these people here thought that if they make a wow with voice acting they will win the jack pot!

I love crafting in any game I play and the more important crafting is in a game, the more I love it. Here crafting does 2 things. First eat all your money with ridiculous expensive missions while you level up in order to have 2-3 items to wear and the second thing it does is to eat space on your UI screens when you hit max level

Marzinquan
07.17.2012 , 05:28 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
3. Augmented gear is part (of a balanced breakfast - kidding) and parcel of BiS gear. The only item that is BiS that CANNOT be augmented is the Matrix cube (and maybe the offhands - I haven't checked those).
Try equipping it first (matrix cube).