Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

mox parser malware

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Pcolapat
06.01.2012 , 02:34 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by KivanSane View Post
The best virus protection you can get is to stop running windows.

Tragically , SWTOR is a windows only game ...

download firefox and lock down your internet explorer so bad that if it ever accidently opens it won't even be allowed to fart , thats all I can say.
True statement. My uncle has told me that as well. Although internet explorer is a hard habit for me to break. I have been using it for years and years. It is one piece of advice my uncle gave me that I should listen to but habits are habits. I try to use firefox to view my email and for any downloading I am doing.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

Nemhauser
06.01.2012 , 02:37 PM | #32
Ugh, Symantec AV's are resource hogs. Never will I go back to that *** again.

snwmnx
06.01.2012 , 02:48 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Pcolapat View Post
True statement. My uncle has told me that as well. Although internet explorer is a hard habit for me to break. I have been using it for years and years. It is one piece of advice my uncle gave me that I should listen to but habits are habits. I try to use firefox to view my email and for any downloading I am doing.
The reason why "stop using windows" is the cure for almost any virus has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It has to do with the alternative that most people go to from Windows - *nix based systems.

*nix systems are not immune to malware / virus attack, they are simply more resilient.

Pcolapat
06.01.2012 , 02:51 PM | #34
I knew this gamer once that told me that he doesn't use virus protection at all. His reasoning was that he suspects that anti virus companies create viruses to perpetuate their industry. He said he feels safer with no anti virus software at all and that his computer runs better. He claimed that he has never gotten a virus. I haven't spoken to him in a long time so I don't know how that is working out for him. I assume he has nothing on his computer he isn't willing to part with. I couldn't take a chance like that.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

JollyRogers
06.01.2012 , 03:16 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Pcolapat View Post
My uncle is the family computer expert and I asked him about this AVG virus software someone recommended to me. His reply was to not come to him when I got a virus. I went with Symantec Endpoint Protection like he suggested. I don't know if one is better than the other, but I like having someone around who can help me with computer problems.
Basically you get what you pay for.... "free" will get you the support one can expect from something that is free.

JollyRogers
06.01.2012 , 03:18 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by snwmnx View Post
The reason why "stop using windows" is the cure for almost any virus has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It has to do with the alternative that most people go to from Windows - *nix based systems.

*nix systems are not immune to malware / virus attack, they are simply more resilient.
No, they are simply a smaller market share, and thus a smaller target set. However, with the Mac's starting to make inroads, the *nix systems aren't such a microscopic minority anymore. A rooted *nix box is just as owned as a rooted Windows box.

Kourage
06.01.2012 , 04:39 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by JollyRogers View Post
Basically you get what you pay for.... "free" will get you the support one can expect from something that is free.
No, you don't always get what you pay for. You can pay for products that are inferior to free products. Heck, there's some games I bought that I didn't get what I paid for.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Talarchy
06.01.2012 , 05:37 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Tysir View Post
Just saying, watch out with these third party combat log parsers, ive been using "Mox Parser" since they released combat logs and now AVG tells me it found malware in that file.
AVG and Avira have a disgusting amount of false positives. I know this for a fact because I have been trying to get them to take one of my programs off the heuristics list for ages and they just ignore you even if you send them the source code to prove its malware free.
Re-subscribed SWTOR.. my server is empty and I can't pay for a transfer. Woo hoo, thanks bioware.

Nogoodathis
06.02.2012 , 09:20 AM | #39
I am an old gamer. I have owned them since the days of the Sinclair and Commodore and Radio Shack computers were popular and built them since 386's were the norm.

I don't run any antivirus programs. At all. The best antivirus out there is Your Brain. First and most importantly, I don't use Microsoft's email client nor Internet Explorer. I don't open untrusted email attachments. I can spot a scam email a mile away and delete it right off without even opening it. I watch what I download and if I'm at all suspicious, I run it on a virtual computer setup first. And I use Firefox with NoScript installed.

The only time in the last 10 years or more that I've gotten a virus, I worked for a place that didn't allow me to use NoScript so I had to run antivirus. I chose Avira. I got a virus from one of the pages I was required to visit. I quickly got rid of it but there ya go. It really helps to have another computer to download or make fixes on when that happens. No, my second computer is NOT networked to the first. Nor do I use a wireless modem. It's just so much easier to plug in that wire, brainless in fact. And much safer.

All of Norton's (Symantec's) products have been nothing but a drain on my computer's power. But then they're all a drain. If they aren't the biggest drain then you have way too much unnecessary garbage running on that thing.

So there you have it. This works for me and before you holler about risking it, reread. For me, I'm not risking much of anything. Were you to do this, you might make riskier choices in what you're doing and need the antivirus. I do not.

Onyx
06.02.2012 , 01:29 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by JollyRogers View Post
Quite untrue.

There are many open-source applications out there which run far better/cleaner than their paid-for counterparts.

Windows has traditionally been a retail-software environment, and so many users buy into the whole "if you pay for it it is better" mentality. However open-source and collaborative products can indeed be superior. This is true even for anti-virus and anti-malware products. The best ones I've ever used/do use are free.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider