Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DomiSotto
07.03.2014 , 02:10 PM | #5101
@Xakthul

Spoiler

Striges
07.04.2014 , 12:43 PM | #5102
In honor of our numerous non-native-English writers, another language-focused prompt:

Week of July 4, 2014
Dialect and Accent: Everyone has one whether you're aware of it or not. Your words and how you say them reveal a lot about where you were born, where you grew up, what you like to read, or where and how you learned another language. What do your character's word choices tell about them? Does it mark them as ruling class, streetwise, coreward, rimward, immigrant, outsider, insider, or something else? Do they try to hide their unique pronunciation or revel in it? A source of shame or pride? Are they right and everyone else talks funny? Explore it!

And, as ever,

b]Night of the Living Prompt[/b]: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Alternate Perspectives - Meet an earlier meta prompt. Most of the time we tell a story from a single character's perspective. But what were other characters thinking at the time? Rewrite one of your past pieces from another character's perspective or write a new fic from two characters’ perspectives. Use any prompt or just make something up.

DomiSotto
07.08.2014 , 08:30 AM | #5103
Aww, I guess everyone is away Thank you for sticking with it Stirges!

frauzet
07.08.2014 , 09:05 AM | #5104
I am still here.
Did a lot of leveling through 2*XP-week, and RL is busy, too.
I plan to write the next part
Storyindex in chronological order

...From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire... (Frost)

Jokad
07.08.2014 , 11:14 AM | #5105
I’m still here too. I just had to let my story stew for a few days.

Comments/Replies:
Spoiler

Now for the story. It’s pretty short, around 700 words.
Prompt: Dialect and Accent
Character: Nova (IA)
Timeline: After Chapter 2 finale (Index after this and this.)
Spoilers: Agent Chapter 2

Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler
Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Xakthul
07.08.2014 , 11:26 AM | #5106
Just a note to everybody, since I really wasn't too clear; Both Mix and the BH are Chiss.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

DomiSotto
07.09.2014 , 06:57 AM | #5107
@Jokad
Spoiler

It is a stretch to call this one on topic, but I emphasized as much as I could Yvolgar's alien background, and his cavalier Balmorran ways (you might remember him carving his name on the Korriban monuments with his sabre a few weeks back). Since my intrepid Lord's story moved on a little. If you want to see in between parts, it is on FF.net, "Made in Balmorra." but the story is self-contained.

Title: But, Vette, It Always Works!
Prompt: Accents and Dialects
Character: Yvolgar (lvl 19, Fleet)
Setting: Dromund Kaas
Spoilers: Sith Warrior’s Class on Dromund Kaas
Length: 1,400

Spoiler

alaurin
07.10.2014 , 11:00 AM | #5108
Hello all! I'm still on vacation, but had a few minutes to post some comments/replies and even cross post the next bit for my guys' little intrigue (the rest will have to wait until I get home since I'll need to do some serious editing to make it safe for these forums). The Index won't be updated until I get home since I have them backed up on my desktop. I assure you all that it will be my first priority though.

Comments/Replies: sorry they're quickies, but I'm on this stupid laptop with no mouse......grrr.
Spoiler

Okay, now for the story: Originally posted on my Tumblr 5/12/14.

Title: Trouble
Prompt: Mysteries, Allies
Character: Jaxzin Roark-Smuggler, Risha, Corso Riggs, Bowdaar
Setting: XS Freighter, after That's Dirty Sabacc and A Needle in a Haystack.
Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper Act 2

Spoiler

Author's Note:

Spoiler

Striges
07.10.2014 , 11:17 PM | #5109
@DomiSotto: Becchino/Dur’s piece without the hilarity. Something I really liked was the contrast in how personal the death was for Dur compared to Becchino, who wasn’t sure which of her victims he was. Quinn gets a bit bolder too, interesting.

I suspect Vette is more correct than Yvolgar, except where bounty hunters are concerned. I did like the unique speech patterns you gave the two thugs as well as Vette’s analysis. It made them more than generic NPCs whose only difference is their names.

@Xakthul: I have to agree with DomiSotto, some kind of separation between paragraphs would make your story easier to read. That said, it’s kind of fun when a character lampshades the fact that they’re a character. Especially when they’re a character in a video game. The “wrong room” in the beginning cracked me up.

@Jokad: The Agent giving dialect lessons to Temple is a natural. She’s so focused on becoming a field agent. I liked the interaction with Lokin and especially the implication that Kaliyo gave inaccurate lessons. Made me think of an old Monty Python skit. I don’t know that there’s any examples of “canon” Coruscanti slang, outside of what you borrowed from the smuggler story. I’m a little disappointed at the near absence of accents and dialects on Republic side, especially compared to the use of UK regional accents Imp-side.

@Alaurin: Again, more breadcrumbs. I get the sense of watching radar of a storm gathering, while on the ground the clouds are barely darkening.

Striges
07.11.2014 , 06:35 AM | #5110
Friday’s here already? Prompt time!

Week of July 11, 2014
A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Pictures can also provide inspiration. A photograph, professional or otherwise, a scene in a movie, a well-known painting, a screenshot, a character portrait, if you’re lucky enough to have one. Write the “thousand words” (figuratively) behind the picture and share both if you can. Prompt courtesy of Jokad via the SWTOR forums.

And, as ever,

b]Night of the Living Prompt[/b]: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Stomping Grounds - Our characters all have favorite places. Somewhere they grew up, somewhere they spent a lot of time, someplace that feels like home or might as well be. Someplace they’d rather be any day of the week. Somewhere they dream of when things go wrong. Tell us about your character’s favorite stomping ground.