Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Morgani
07.11.2012 , 11:15 PM | #491
I like Corso. He's always in a good mood, he's handsome, friendly, supportive, and he could read me the phone book and I'd sit there happily and listen from A to Z.

But I've having a hard time romancing him on my Smug. She's Mirialan like Aya, but she was married at a very young age, lost her child (her husband was Mirialan as well) and then her husband died smuggling POWs off Hoth and left her with nothing but debt and his ship.

She loved her Kav more than anything else in the world. Then Corso comes along with his aw shucks and his good boy charm and Aurai just doesn't know what to do with him. She's seen some of the darkest things a person can see and Corso, despite coming from war torn Ord Mantell, just seems as shiny as a newly minted credit.

I guess she doesn't want to taint him. Man, I should be writing a story! What am I doing trying to convince myself that he needs to be romanced?

I heard somewhere that the writer of the Corso/Fem Smug romance was a big fan of Twilight.

I just don't even know what to do with that information.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Crezelle
07.11.2012 , 11:32 PM | #492
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post
I heard somewhere that the writer of the Corso/Fem Smug romance was a big fan of Twilight.

Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

RepublicGurl
07.11.2012 , 11:44 PM | #493
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
Holy crap, I'm famous!!

Putting that link in the OP so everyone can see how awesome we all are.
Yay!! *flails arms* I know someone famous FINALLY!

Now I can scratch that off my Bucket List...
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend..."

"Only a life lived for others is a life worth living for..."

bright_ephemera
07.12.2012 , 08:26 AM | #494
Holy crap, I'm famous!!
Your fault for being awesome.

Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post
I like Corso. He's always in a good mood, he's handsome, friendly, supportive, and he could read me the phone book and I'd sit there happily and listen from A to Z.

But I've having a hard time romancing him on my Smug. She's Mirialan like Aya, but she was married at a very young age, lost her child (her husband was Mirialan as well) and then her husband died smuggling POWs off Hoth and left her with nothing but debt and his ship.

She loved her Kav more than anything else in the world. Then Corso comes along with his aw shucks and his good boy charm and Aurai just doesn't know what to do with him. She's seen some of the darkest things a person can see and Corso, despite coming from war torn Ord Mantell, just seems as shiny as a newly minted credit.

I guess she doesn't want to taint him. Man, I should be writing a story! What am I doing trying to convince myself that he needs to be romanced?

My femSmug is an independent mercenary. She cares about credits and thrills. She considers Corso's 'You deserve more' and 'I just thought you could be better than this' and 'I'll jump in to discourage potential suitors' annoying bordering on controlling. When I ran afoul of the game's design decision to continue to trigger romance conversations even after you attempt to break up, and post-rejection Corso gave me a double whammy of -160 for refusing to sleep with him and actual shouting on Balmorra for flirting with a guy...nuh-uh. He's out. Permanently.

Maybe Nic 'deserves to be treated like a lady,' but she has dedicated her life to staying one step ahead of what she deserves. She's not gonna let it catch her now.

I see the same controlling, 'a girl doesn't know what's good for her and needs to be firmly supported in doing the right thing as defined by me' attitude in both Corso and what I've heard about Twilight. And I hate it. I can't write a canon for my Smuggler that ends with Corso on her ship. I can't make that make sense.

It was a real eye-opener to roll a male Smuggler. Corso is...sunny and kind and goofy and adorable and seems to be a genuinely good person. It's only when he wants to sleep with you that he goes full headcrab.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Striges
07.12.2012 , 10:46 AM | #495
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
It was a real eye-opener to roll a male Smuggler. Corso is...sunny and kind and goofy and adorable and seems to be a genuinely good person. It's only when he wants to sleep with you that he goes full headcrab.
Might be why I really liked Corso despite the "she's uh, allergic to candles" thing every time you flirted with someone. I initially rolled a male smuggler because I loved listening to the voice actor. I got through Taris before I rerolled female. My initial exposure to Corso was as a lovable, goofy, lets-go-get-a-beer-and-discuss-weapons kind of guy. That impression carried over; I couldn't even get mad at his jealousy. It just made me giggle.

elliotcat
07.12.2012 , 11:03 AM | #496
I've never read Twilight; I watched the movie and thought it sucked. Personally, the Corso/fsmug romance reminded me a LOT of Fry and Leela from Futurama. I mean, by the end of it I was half expecting Guss to start talking about living in a dumpster and eating garbage, Risha to swear in Chinese, and Corso's last companion quest to involve cloning his dead dog.*

Quote:

Ultimately that was why Ayang and Corso worked so well. Both of them had seen some horrible stuff but neither of them was really letting it bother them or get them down. I think most importantly though, they may not be innocent in the way the world works, but when it comes to love they both are - Corso's had the one girlfriend/fiancee and Ayang has really only seen love as something she can use to make a living. So it's new to them both, neither of them really know what they are doing but somehow they work it out.

I read an interview with the actor Chris Pratt, who plays Andy on Parks and Recreation, where he talked about his character's relationship in the show. He said that their attitude when they played it was like how kids tease each other: "Well if you like her so much then why don't you marry her!" "Well maybe I will!" sort of thing. And I think that's how I played out Corso and Ayang and how I write them now, too. To me, that's the kind of girl Corso needs to be with, someone who is ultimately as resilient and light-hearted as he is.

I think with Aurai, if she focuses a lot on her losses, it could be difficult. I don't know much about her personality but it sounds like she's someone who's carrying a lot of hurt, and that might make their romance hard. I don't think Corso really knows what to do with someone who's so hurt like that.

Quote:
My femSmug is an independent mercenary. She cares about credits and thrills. She considers Corso's 'You deserve more' and 'I just thought you could be better than this' and 'I'll jump in to discourage potential suitors' annoying bordering on controlling. When I ran afoul of the game's design decision to continue to trigger romance conversations even after you attempt to break up, and post-rejection Corso gave me a double whammy of -160 for refusing to sleep with him and actual shouting on Balmorra for flirting with a guy...nuh-uh. He's out. Permanently.

Maybe Nic 'deserves to be treated like a lady,' but she has dedicated her life to staying one step ahead of what she deserves. She's not gonna let it catch her now.

I see the same controlling, 'a girl doesn't know what's good for her and needs to be firmly supported in doing the right thing as defined by me' attitude in both Corso and what I've heard about Twilight. And I hate it. I can't write a canon for my Smuggler that ends with Corso on her ship. I can't make that make sense.

It's unfortunate that the romance is written this way. It really shouldn't be, because it's pretty sweet if you play it straight. The writer said that she wrote his romance last after all the other stuff, and I think it kind of shows. It's like they had to give you a way to screw up the romance and that's what they went with. fwiw, a lot of the jealousy stuff he still says even if you don't flirt, except that in that case you're kind of like "HELP this guy is hitting on me! Can't you get him to shut up?!" which is about 5000 times better than him just freaking out because you flirted.

* Bowdaar is Scruffy the janitor in this analogy.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

bright_ephemera
07.12.2012 , 11:47 AM | #497
It's unfortunate that the romance is written this way. It really shouldn't be, because it's pretty sweet if you play it straight. The writer said that she wrote his romance last after all the other stuff, and I think it kind of shows. It's like they had to give you a way to screw up the romance and that's what they went with. fwiw, a lot of the jealousy stuff he still says even if you don't flirt, except that in that case you're kind of like "HELP this guy is hitting on me! Can't you get him to shut up?!" which is about 5000 times better than him just freaking out because you flirted.
The writing really is unfortunate. The jealousy can be funny until it isn't. Ten thousand Internet points to the person who can find me video documentation of what happens when the femSmug tells Corso to back off on Balmorra, after he does his little "That's it, I'm putting my foot down" about Numen Brock (the Twi'lek). He raises his voice and goes on about how the smuggler is walking all over him. To a girl who had just dumped him over a poorly handled and somewhat disturbing backstory detail (the one elliotcat elaborated on, and by the way I love how elliotcat seeks to account for how blase he seemed about it), it looked like Corso the ex, who had already exhibited minor controlling tendencies, was reacting to the smuggler's rejection by "putting his foot down" and then going berserk over the smuggler trying to live her life. I know that kind of guy. They're terrifying. Bye-bye, any chance of me having a positive impression of Corso Riggs.

The Balmorra meltdown was one of the two occasions when I was sufficiently upset both in and out of character to stop using my optimal play-style-complementing companion. (Sith Warriors know the other one.)

I've sketched out a number of romances for my smuggler, but Corso Riggs is not and never will be one of them.

(Captain Biron ftw!)

(yes I have a thing for Imperial officers)
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Morgani
07.12.2012 , 02:37 PM | #498
You know what, Bright? You've inspired me to have my Fem Smug ditch Corso and romance Cole Cantarus for a story. I love Cole and thought it was an absolute crime that my Fem Trooper couldn't flirt with him. If Aric was off the table for whatever reason, my Trooper would have gone after Cole so hard, he would have felt the breeze before realizing he was naked.

I'll work on this and when the prompt is right I'll put it out there. Thanks for the excuse to get in some Cole action!
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Crezelle
07.12.2012 , 03:15 PM | #499
My smuggler, Teumessia, is named after the Teumessian Fox, a child of the greek chimera ( my legacy )
it was a beast that could never be caught. Poor corso. She warned him she would break his heart, but she allowed him to follow. He may be the only man privilaged to be allowed to follow her from planet to planet, but he will never "capture" her, never own her, never tame her. She will not bend for him, but as long as he understands this, she will allow him to be by her side, he has been warned, and it was his choice.
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

Magdalane
07.12.2012 , 03:16 PM | #500
My head cannon for Miriah was always that she felt like a throwaway child, having been born only a few months after her Jedi knight father was killed and her mother grieving. Her mother left her with the household droid and her 4 year old sister at home when she was a week old. Since she felt like she was such an bad person (I mean, who wouldn't feel like they must be terrible if even their mother didn't love them!), and not being force sensitive like her oldest sister, she decided that since it hurt so much to not feel loved, she'd never risk her heart. Better, she thinks, to be a loner. Until Ord Mantell.

I totally get what you're saying, I know there are guys out there like you described, and I admit some of the controlling of the early courtship is a little unsettling, but I always thought Corso grew on a personal level as he got off Ord and saw how things work in the galaxy, and that by the time they progressed in their story arc he'd matured out of a lot of that.
Love is the strongest magic of them all.