Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

frauzet
01.28.2014 , 04:28 PM | #4561
@LaxKnight: send it to bright_ephemera

OK, alaurin already answered the question. I might as well add a few comments and replies.

To all who commented on Mako's ‘Anti-the-Worst-You-Do-not-Want-to-Catch’, it was actually a result of me being to lazy to do some research about any problems that might occur if you take broad-spectrum antibiotic and antimycotic together. So instead of naming anything of that kind, I decided somebody in the Thorns-verse had invented something that worked against all at once...

@marissalf: You're doing a good job of describing this empty feeling at the loss of somebody. The realization, that whatever it was, that you wanted to say or do, now it is to late.

@Striges: 'Constellations of freckles' *sigh* reminds me of something that I heard once: "A face without freckles is like a night sky without stars."
I like the objects better with every story you tell anout them. They would have witnessed a lot. Listening to them and learning from them certainly would be very interesting. And getting to the interesting question wouldn't take as long as it would take without their help.

@alaurin: I was smiling through this story because of the hair. My son used to do that when he was younger. He'd always grab my hair during falling asleep and it was really difficult to disentangle it once he was asleep, without waking him up again.
And you added some nice other little details like the shorts that are a little to big. Of course she would wear those of her sister...
Storyindex in chronological order

...From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire... (Frost)

LaxKnight
01.28.2014 , 04:31 PM | #4562
@faurzet Thanks. The OP wasn't quite clear.
LaxKnight
"I'm not blind, I just see from a different perspective." - Serenity Williams, Miraluka Jedi Apprentice

TrystanLaryssa
01.28.2014 , 05:10 PM | #4563
@Alaurin- I did go back and read your original after all the comments with the shiny objects references... and reading part two just now made me very happy I did! This was awesome. Poor Aric... he's such a serious person, and to be reduced to... baser instincts... has to be frustrating. Not to mention Elara! I loved that you picked these two ordinarily straightlaced companions to show the other side of! A fun read, both of them!

Also, as my time is somewhat sporadic and I've been lurking here for a while, I was wondering what the accepted posting schedule was... I was tempted to put up a second piece, but I wasn't sure if that would be too much in one week, as there are plenty of others here too. Is there an unwritten rule about this somewhere? Is it weird if I put up two or so stories in a week and then maybe not get back to it for a while, or should I try and keep on schedule?
Jedi Caylenn Lorin - Darth Katharsys
"Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge. Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony. Death, yet the Force."

alaurin
01.28.2014 , 05:18 PM | #4564
@TrystanLaryssa: I don't think there's any unwritten rule and I think you'll find several people that are sporadic due to time constraints. I know I've plagued the forums with my spew as many as four times in a week.....in fact there will be at least one more part to conclude the Nar Shaddaa Spice Incident and I even wrote something for the weekly prompt. So, by all means, if you have another piece, go for it!!!

Also, glad you're liking the Nar Shaddaa Spice Incident......I probably should feel bad for what I've done to those poor companions, but Aric was such a turd back on Ord.

@frauzet: LOL, my daughter was the hair tugger, my son (much to my hubby's amusement) was the one who appreciated busty ladies and copped several feels as a tot. Ah, yes, Mallay just had to wear those shorts and that particular pair of panties in that situation.....

frauzet
01.28.2014 , 05:20 PM | #4565
@TrystanLaryssa: from what I've seen so far, there are quite a few of us, who do this sporadic. If you feel like posting another story, I'll be glad to read it, and I guess so will be the others.
The weekly prompts often trigger some ideas, but feel free to use any prompt you like. Or none at all, if you can't find one that fits your story.
Storyindex in chronological order

...From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire... (Frost)

TrystanLaryssa
01.28.2014 , 05:53 PM | #4566
Alright, I suppose I can post this one. This would be me working backwards through the most recent prompts, and it was my Agent that grabbed it. This is set just before Balmorra, or right after the briefing for same, to be technical.

Prompt: Marketing
Title: Cover-Up
Character: Malova (Imperial Operative) and Kaliyo

Spoiler

And a clarification, probably unnecessary:

Spoiler

LaxKnight
01.28.2014 , 08:23 PM | #4567
As promised, here is my next story. This isn't a part two of the amazing adventures of Bill and company but it will come (maybe next?!?). But as always, first the comments.

Comments:

Spoiler

Now onto the story. I hope you enjoy it!

Prompt: Sacrifice, Bad Memories
Title: War Stories
Character: Joturn “Jo” Turnan (Mandalorian Bounty Hunter)
Word Count: 2250 +

Spoiler

Author's Rant (contains spoilers of story above):

Spoiler
LaxKnight
"I'm not blind, I just see from a different perspective." - Serenity Williams, Miraluka Jedi Apprentice

bright_ephemera
01.28.2014 , 08:39 PM | #4568
Comments! Putting behind a cut for length, though there's no set rule for that...
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

TrystanLaryssa
01.28.2014 , 10:08 PM | #4569
@LaxKnight- That was an epic tale. I'm sorry you weren't able to tell it sooner. It very much echoes a lot of the anger I've felt dealing with the various Sith in-game... unreasonable demands, ridiculous arrogance, and causing so much hurt and pain like it's no big deal... you really echoed that well! Even a victory results in defeat because of the whims of somebody who's supposed to be on your side... it's insane.

Oh, and yes... I have Malova in the Unfettered Trenchcoat for Balmorra... and BOY does it look different after watching the little uniformed Agent run around the capital! But that's what you do... become somebody other than yourself, for the good of the Empire. She's outside her comfort zone, sure... but when is the IA not?

Striges
01.29.2014 , 12:21 AM | #4570
Alaurin: My son went for necklaces and earrings mostly--but both my cats like to play with my hair.

The shock as the trio woke up in their various awkward situations was a lot of fun. At the same time, it’s so good to see how all your characters care for each other.

TristanLaryssa: As others have stated, SFC is pretty casual. We get a new prompt (and a featured former prompt) every Friday. Write as much or as little as you like, as often or as infrequent as you like. Post first day, last day, somewhere in the middle, or all three. If none of the current prompts inspire you, peruse the prompt archive for something else.

I liked the way you used the appearance changer, down to the shock of what the character creation screen would feel like to your character. I also liked the interaction between Malova and Kaliyo.

Frauzet: It’s not lazy, it’s a Mako-ism. It sure sounded like her.

LaxKnight: Wonderful story. Well thought out, great detail, and believable Sith cruelty. I liked Joyce’s observations about her buir’s replacement arm early in the piece, that Jo took such care of it, tied to the later revelation of why he needs it. I’m glad you had an opportunity to tell it here.

I’m glad people liked Jurial’s story. One of the hardest things to do for Jurial is to get into his mindset, where he understands the Force and what it wants based on faith and what he observes. Jurial doesn’t get to look up things on Wookiepedia. The thought that Tharan Cedrax is the best role model for how to deal with the opposite sex disturbs him greatly. To date, none of the Order’s answers on that front satisfy him.

As for Jealousy’s story: (JK and Revan spoilers)
Spoiler