Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eanelinea
06.07.2012 , 03:31 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
With regards to the above...
Spoiler
Spoiler

Quote:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Tatile
06.07.2012 , 04:19 PM | #32
Don't think I'm saying other people shouldn't be writing head-cannon or that there's anything wrong with it - from what I've seen, however, TMW has set a bit of a tone and it looks like people are directly copying it (two threads spring to mind). Head-cannon is the obvious place to start when writing with your character, but I've never had a taste for writing it myself. I like to read other people's takes on the Bioware stories, but when I think about writing head-cannon in any serious manner (i.e. actually putting words to paper) it feels too much like I'm just stealing other people's ideas, even if I'm technically not, it's not something I'm too attracted to; I'd much rather start with an entirely different position. My Assassin didn't start in slavery, my Warrior wasn't rushed through Sith training and neither of my Bounty Hunters took part in the Great Hunt. I have head-cannon versions of the stories for each of my characters, but their public versions and more specifically their RP versions are very much removed from the class story lines. Their 'classes' remain the same, mostly - my Agent, for example, though an Imperial Navy Lieutenant in my stories and RP is also actually an Imperial Agent. I consider him to be a 'sleeper agent' with training comparable to a Cipher but with completely different mission parameters and purpose, being chiefly to report on internal military and naval activities and to act for the interests of Imperial Intelligence whilst still maintaining an entire persona and life, constantly.

Eanelinea
06.07.2012 , 04:28 PM | #33
Don't think I'm saying other people shouldn't be writing head-cannon or that there's anything wrong with it - from what I've seen, however, TMW has set a bit of a tone and it looks like people are directly copying it (two threads spring to mind). Head-cannon is the obvious place to start when writing with your character, but I've never had a taste for writing it myself. I like to read other people's takes on the Bioware stories, but when I think about writing head-cannon in any serious manner (i.e. actually putting words to paper) it feels too much like I'm just stealing other people's ideas, even if I'm technically not, it's not something I'm too attracted to; I'd much rather start with an entirely different position. My Assassin didn't start in slavery, my Warrior wasn't rushed through Sith training and neither of my Bounty Hunters took part in the Great Hunt. I have head-cannon versions of the stories for each of my characters, but their public versions and more specifically their RP versions are very much removed from the class story lines. Their 'classes' remain the same, mostly - my Agent, for example, though an Imperial Navy Lieutenant in my stories and RP is also actually an Imperial Agent. I consider him to be a 'sleeper agent' with training comparable to a Cipher but with completely different mission parameters and purpose, being chiefly to report on internal military and naval activities and to act for the interests of Imperial Intelligence whilst still maintaining an entire persona and life, constantly.
Well, with writing fanfiction for as long as I have, there comes a time when NOTHING is ever really original anymore. I'm sure if you look back far enough in the fanfic threads, like skip 300, you'll see head canon that predates TMW. It's just TMW was funny and people liked it. Those actually copying it, are just very unoriginal. There's a fine line between inspiration and out right plagiarism.

Tatile
06.07.2012 , 05:15 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Eanelinea View Post
Well, with writing fanfiction for as long as I have, there comes a time when NOTHING is ever really original anymore.
That's true of all fiction, really.

The particular reason I won't be writing head-cannon is because before I read TMW I gave my Warrior a particular personality. That personality and the key points of her sexuality are so very similar to Droozer's The Wrath that any head-cannon I write would essentially look to be a more serious version (I'm not very funny) rooted in my classical reading (I'm currently reading bits and pieces of Demons when I find it and I like the idea of small society intrigue and familiar ties - I find this very much gets reflected in my writing, of course.) Discussing my particular worries about my writing (because this all pretty stems from fear) isn't really for this thread - the purpose strikes me more for discussing technique than setting.

bright_ephemera
06.07.2012 , 05:44 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Eanelinea View Post
Well, with writing fanfiction for as long as I have, there comes a time when NOTHING is ever really original anymore.
That's true of all fiction, really.

The particular reason I won't be writing head-cannon is because before I read TMW I gave my Warrior a particular personality. That personality and the key points of her sexuality are so very similar to Droozer's The Wrath that any head-cannon I write would essentially look to be a more serious version (I'm not very funny) rooted in my classical reading
heh...I can see where you're coming from. I learned only recently that lot of roads on these forums lead to Thursday Morning Wrath, and, well, TMW hits a lot of notes that many Warriors have likely hit themselves. Which can make everything else seem derivative.

But hey, Jimi Hendrix didn't make my guitar playing worthless or redundant. My music is later, yes, not as good, yes, not going to sell tickets any time soon, but the effort means something to me and a few people might still enjoy my sharing the result.

When I'm writing and I find a work with very similar ideas at least in fanfic-land, I tend to look at what's in my head and what's on somebody else's page. Identify what's similar, what's different. Let that simmer for a bit. If the words of my story are still pouring out nonstop, I just go for it. If I got hung up on being sufficiently different from people I've never even met I would be too neurotic to get out of bed in the morning.

I'm looking forward to prompts on this thread getting me going on something that isn't my Warrior 1, Warrior 2, or Warrior 3. (What is it about the Sith Warrior that has me forever coming up with new scenes and reactions? My poor Agent could use the love...)
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Tatile
06.07.2012 , 06:13 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
heh...I can see where you're coming from. I learned only recently that lot of roads on these forums lead to Thursday Morning Wrath, and, well, TMW hits a lot of notes that many Warriors have likely hit themselves. Which can make everything else seem derivative.

But hey, Jimi Hendrix didn't make my guitar playing worthless or redundant. My music is later, yes, not as good, yes, not going to sell tickets any time soon, but the effort means something to me and a few people might still enjoy my sharing the result.
Getting compared to Phillip Pullman (who I've never read nor seen any of the adaptations and know nothing about his books) when I was younger left a rather sour taste in my mouth. It's a very personal thing, my writing, and this is going to seem like some pathetic drama queen protest, but I like having feedback on my writing. I feel that a lot of head-cannon stories for Warriors are going to be living in the shadow of TMW and are going to be compared to it. I might want to inject humour into my stories and my scenes, but I'm bad at it. Very bad. This makes me worry that any head-cannon I write won't be viewed as 'attempt at well-rounded depiction of life, falls flat with humour but more 'bad attempt at being TMW'.

I'm not saying that because Thursday Morning Wrath has been written that people should stop writing head-cannon. I'm certainly not saying that the pinnacle has been reached. If Droozer's spurred people into writing their own head-cannon stories that's fantastic. The problem is it currently looks like people are going the route of simply copying the structure, rather than attempting their own. And yes not everyone's going to do that, and yes some people are going to re-do the structure very well and shine for it, but it's something that's going to have to be handled carefully for a while.

Really I'm only arguing for why I'm not writing head-cannon and why I won't be writing head-cannon. It's my position and it's not supposed to be for anyone else - my opinions and beliefs on the subject shouldn't affect anyone else and I actively encourage people not to to listen to me ramble.

Eanelinea
06.07.2012 , 06:46 PM | #37
Getting compared to Phillip Pullman (who I've never read nor seen any of the adaptations and know nothing about his books) when I was younger left a rather sour taste in my mouth. It's a very personal thing, my writing, and this is going to seem like some pathetic drama queen protest, but I like having feedback on my writing. I feel that a lot of head-cannon stories for Warriors are going to be living in the shadow of TMW and are going to be compared to it. I might want to inject humour into my stories and my scenes, but I'm bad at it. Very bad. This makes me worry that any head-cannon I write won't be viewed as 'attempt at well-rounded depiction of life, falls flat with humour but more 'bad attempt at being TMW'.

I'm not saying that because Thursday Morning Wrath has been written that people should stop writing head-cannon. I'm certainly not saying that the pinnacle has been reached. If Droozer's spurred people into writing their own head-cannon stories that's fantastic. The problem is it currently looks like people are going the route of simply copying the structure, rather than attempting their own. And yes not everyone's going to do that, and yes some people are going to re-do the structure very well and shine for it, but it's something that's going to have to be handled carefully for a while.

Really I'm only arguing for why I'm not writing head-cannon and why I won't be writing head-cannon. It's my position and it's not supposed to be for anyone else - my opinions and beliefs on the subject shouldn't affect anyone else and I actively encourage people not to to listen to me ramble.
I get where you're coming from. But my forte is crack!fiction. I'm talking seriously messed up crack fiction.
So, if I decided to ever write crackfic based on the prompts here, or on my head canon, or whatever, and people thought it was TMW, pfft, let them.

elliotcat
06.07.2012 , 08:33 PM | #38
2nd submission...a view of the Jedi from an outsider's point of view. This story made me depressed.
Characters: Ayang Cardani (smuggler), Meyali Cardani (Consular)
Spoilers: Sort of? Very nonspecific for the end of the smuggler class line.

Spoiler

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"[/SIZE]

iamthehoyden
06.07.2012 , 08:40 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
2nd submission...a view of the Jedi from an outsider's point of view. Sorry for adding to the stories about depressing parents!
Characters: Ayang Cardani (smuggler), Meyali Cardani (Consular)
Spoilers: Sort of? Very nonspecific for the end of the smuggler class line.

Spoiler
Awww, not gonna lie, I'm a little bit teary after that one. Your poor poor girl, and I want to slap her mother till she can't see straight. Ooooo do I want to do that...like really badly.
(In other words: Really good job writing this! )
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

elliotcat
06.07.2012 , 08:43 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Awww, not gonna lie, I'm a little bit teary after that one. Your poor poor girl, and I want to slap her mother till she can't see straight. Ooooo do I want to do that...like really badly.
(In other words: Really good job writing this! )
Thanks! Ayang has had a pretty tough life...but she gets a happy ending!

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"[/SIZE]