Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Adwynyth
08.27.2013 , 12:34 AM | #3921
I'm going to have to give up on getting caught up with replies and comments, so I'll just declare an epoch!

Anyway, thankee for the kind comments on my stories, and I've loved everything I've read since my last comments (as usual), so keep it up, y'all!

In my own writing, I'd written another multipart Swaindrix story, or at least most of it, which promptly got lost by my little Chromebook. If every place had WiFi...*grumble* But never mind...losing that massive chunk (which I couldn't recreate if my life depended on it) has had a chilling effect on my creativity, but I think I'm coming out of it. More soon, and not just on the scowling, irritable bounty hunter either.
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

alaurin
08.27.2013 , 10:06 AM | #3922
Index is caught up once again. As always, I urge people check theirs over in case I made any mistakes.....it happens.

Now, before I get too far behind.......

Comments/Replies:
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
08.27.2013 , 05:46 PM | #3923
Whew. A weird difficult serious project, elaborating on the idea that, no matter how much I glorify his good days, Wynston wasn't always a good guy. He was just a bad guy who preferred to keep the gloves on. Only by Imperial standards was he a kind man…and he lived and worked by Imperial standards for more than a decade before he grew into holding authority accountable and began to develop his own role elsewhere.

All of which is to say that I wonder what he was like when he was the villain. And I was inspired by alaurin's legacy origin story, of Bella and Jackson's betrayal, and I thought…there but for an accident of assignments goes Wynston. This is not meant to be about Bella and company. It just starts people in roughly the same positions.

Loyalty and Betrayal. This story runs close to 5000 words. It contains no game spoilers. Wynston is seventeen, about three years into his adult career (Chiss mature early).
Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

marissalf
08.27.2013 , 07:29 PM | #3924
Comments! (I got behind, so it's possible I missed a couple. But I read and enjoyed everything!)
Spoiler

NotLP: Catching Up
For Melodai. Takes place after this and this. The premise is that after finding out that she has nowhere near enough credits to buy a body double that will allow her mother Kinka to come out of hiding, Mel decides to call on an old friend for a “loan.” No spoilers.

Spoiler

Allronix
08.27.2013 , 11:34 PM | #3925
Author: Allronix
Prompt: Paying the Piper
Characters: Felix Iresso, mention of Alylia Terel (Consular Shadow) and Yuon Par
Spoilers: Consular story with romance, presuming mostly Light actions

Spoiler
Alylia Terel of Guild Meridius, Bergen Colony
Meridius: Offering Assistance to Friends of the Republic. World Bosses, Imperials, and Sith defeated. Datacrons procured and worlds explored.

Striges
08.28.2013 , 06:50 AM | #3926
Welcome, Allronix! This was well done. You set the stage well, showed Iresso’s nervousness and how out of place he felt around the Jedi. I especially liked Jedi Kid, who with luck won’t get himself thrown out an airlock when he grows up. It’s a challenge to make a character who’s on-screen for only a few lines memorable. Very nice read.

YoshiRalphElan: The movies and the game assume that Jedi went ahead and became soldiers because it was needed. I really liked how you’re showing Jasin dealing with the inherent conflict between the Jedi philosophy and what’s required in war. That he’s not at all sure he’s doing the right thing anymore. That he’s not sure what the right thing is. That has to be hard for anyone, especially Jedi.

Bright: Three credits! Brilliant! Gault’s response is so very Gault. Calline is a lot of fun to read, I like her stories a lot. Longer commentary to follow separately on Wynston.

Marissalf: Oh, ow, that hurt. You did a good job evoking Melodai’s mixed feelings toward Killian. The fact that she’s still attracted to him and disliking him on some level as well.

Adwynyth: I’ve lost things both large and small to computer gremlins before. You have my sympathy. That’s a very frustrating and chilling (creatively) situation to be in. I hope you are able to work through it.

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the creepy factor with Jealousy. I recently did the quest with a friend, and there was something about the cutscene, where your character holds the mask up to his/her face and looks through it, that begged for exploration.

bright_ephemera
08.28.2013 , 06:54 AM | #3927
Ugh, Adwynyth, sorry to hear of Swaindrix's mishap. I ragequit writing Colran after writing up and losing just one chapter...I'll get back to him, probably, but not any time soon.

@marissalf, did not see that resolution coming! I like this chapter. I like the Mel/Killian dynamic, awful though it is.

@Allronix, welcome to the thread!
Quote:
He put out a hand to shake. Kid didn't bother taking it. C'mon, man, don't grow up to be the kind of Jedi we want to stuff in the airlock.
An awful fate, being so temptingly airlockable, and yet Jedi seem to sign up for the status. The "TK into low orbit" was pretty great, too. I like what you do with Felix's internal monologue. And Zenith's thread/bad diplomacy, and Nadia's overexcitement, and and...I just really enjoyed this. Well done!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

alaurin
08.28.2013 , 12:32 PM | #3928
Index is up to date!

Comments:
Spoiler

Now as this week's featured NotLP is Dreams and Nightmares, I have some for Bella. This is a bit darker for her and no shenanigans, unfortunately, but it had to happen at some point. A huge thank you to Bright (and Wynston) for inspiring this stubborn part to finally flow, along with the one that comes after (which I am currently working on).

Title: You Can’t Kill Your Demons
Prompt: Dreams and Nightmares
Character: Belladonya-smuggler
Setting: XS Freighter, shortly after landing on Tattooine and before Wardrobe Malfunction
Spoilers: Companion spoilers for Corso

Spoiler

alaurin
08.28.2013 , 06:17 PM | #3929
And stuff just keeps coming.....here's the next part of Bella's battle with her inner demons.

Title: Broken Inside
Prompt(s): Dreams and Nightmares, Bad Memories, and a little Mysteries thrown in.
Character: Belladonya-smuggler and Mallayse-trooper
Setting: Tattooine, XS Freighter, BT-7 Thunderclap, immediately following You Can't Kill Your Demons
Spoilers: minor Taris mission spoiler, companion spoiler for Corso

***warning: mention of rape***
Spoiler

Ok, now that I am depressed, I think I'll go write some warm fuzzy stuff!

DarthSillyMonkey
08.28.2013 , 07:14 PM | #3930
To the commentmobile! *duh nuh nuh nuh nuuuuh*

Spoiler
"Now you see that Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!" - Dark Helmet