Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

marissalf
07.23.2013 , 07:54 PM | #3581
Comments/replies!
Spoiler

NotLP: Mirror, Mirror
Title: There is Peace
With IA Kinka, no spoilers
Note: Jumping back into the time period where Kinka’s left Vector and is now trying to work out her demons, with varying levels of success. But she’s almost at the end of that
Spoiler

NotLP: Mirror, Mirror
Title: Peace is a Lie
Takes place about a month after the previous story.
Spoiler

Lady-Jean
07.24.2013 , 07:23 AM | #3582
Oops, walk away for a few days and suddenly there's a gazillion great stories on this thread.
I apologize for not commenting. They're all striking and you are all lovely people.

So I'll just leave this here and head back to catch up reading...

Maldecka the Kid #19
Abt 1900 words in a couple days.

Collections - This wide galaxy is a great place for hoarders...or definitely not hoarders, I don't know what you're talking about. Where would your character put all the random things you can accumulate, all the speeders, random pets, the copious crafting mats, countless outfits, armor sets, saber hilts.... or does your character only collect one thing in particular, a couple of things, or nothing at all? Prompt courtesy of Kitar.

Lady-Jean
07.24.2013 , 08:18 AM | #3583
Or I could write another bite.

Maldecka the Kid #20: Disguises
abt 400 words written in 20 min

Disguises - Sometimes our characters have to gain entry to places that it's not easy to get into. What's a good strategy? A disguise, of course! Write about a time in which your character had to pretend to be someone or something else, and how they dealt with trying to be convincing.

bright_ephemera
07.24.2013 , 10:11 AM | #3584
eeeeee, fino! Welcome back! Kallig the alarm clock is a hilarious image.

@DarthSillyMonkey, I am delighted to have inspired additional Agent-ing. You have a wonderfully creative backstory for yours - and yes, I've always wondered what Keeper was like during his days in the field.

@marissalf, I feel bad for Kinka's crew...being in the immediate vicinity of someone flailing that hard can't be fun. I love the device of Kinka's letters to her departed father.

@Lady-Jean I love Maldecka's positive outlook on Dantooine's scenery. And Jawa-Maldecka is just about the most adorable image ever...though I doubt she would like me saying so.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
07.24.2013 , 10:49 AM | #3585
*continues spitting stories en masse*

Communication Breakdown: Resistant Patient, a representative sample for Wynston, no spoilers:
Spoiler

Good/Bad Memories for Wynston. Agent Act 2 spoilery reference. 650 words.
Spoiler

Sorta kinda Goals and Ambitions for Wynston and Fixer Thirty-Four. References one step of an Agent Alderaan quest. And, if you think about it a certain way, also a Warrior Alderaan quest. And, I think, an Alderaan planetary quest. 350 words.
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

alaurin
07.24.2013 , 05:24 PM | #3586
Comments:
Spoiler

So I was working on outlining Bella and Mallay's adventures on Coruscant, when this silly idea popped into my head and just wouldn't get out. I finally just accepted it and went with it.

Title: I Told You Not To Eat That!
Prompt: Food/Health
Characters: Mallayse-trooper, and Jorgan
Setting: Coruscant
Spoilers: Trooper Coruscant

Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler

marissalf
07.24.2013 , 08:54 PM | #3587
@alaurin, I love the bickering between those two at the end. And Jorgan’s right, nearly throwing up on the senators certainly would be one heckuva way to distract them

@Lady-Jean, I’ve missed Maldecka! I have a soft spot for Jawas anyway, and imagining her in that disguise - so cute!

@ Bright, I was worried for Wynston in Good/Bad Memories. Glad he turned around and went home instead. And for some reason I love the idea of Fixer 34's job being in mouse droid development.

NotLP: Gifts
With Kinka, Temple and Vector
Takes place a month or two after the last couple stories.
No spoilers. About 3000 words (yikes! i know)
Spoiler

Spoiler

Striges
07.24.2013 , 08:54 PM | #3588
Ack, behind again.

@ DarthSillyMonkey: I have to agree with you, I see Keeper as an Operative. And what a great backstory for an agent!

@ Lesaberisa: Waking up to a pair of droid eyes glowing eerily in the darkness...C2’s lucky he’s not sliced in half.

@ Bright: Still really enjoying Winston’s journey. I like seeing him just slightly out of his element. Like he’s missing a shoe, or operating in a foreign language. Everything still works, its just not quite right and not quite comfortable yet. “Regale me with tales of the expensive things you’ve broken...” I love this line.

@ YoshiRalphElan: Nice look at Havoc from the outside. I think you have the sense of it right: everyone’s heard of them, but very few have seen them in action.

@ Irish: Welcome back! I doubt anyone wants a spectral matchmaker, Geltie least of all.

@ Marissalf: Using Kinka’s letters to her father as a way to explore her thoughts is great. I like how she’s casting about, trying to find out what’s wrong and fix it. Realizing, belatedly, she may have gotten rid of the tool she needs.

(edit to add) Their reconciliation was so sweet. I especially liked her line that she didn't need rescuing, but she did need saving.

Plus, Lokin’s “It’s a phase; it’ll pass” made me smile for some silly reason. It sounded so like him.

@ Lady-Jean: Both of these stories were lovely. I especially liked Maladecka hoping her first injury would scar. And Zarro’s reaction, which he tried to hide.

@ Alaurin: I’m almost surprised Mallay forgave Aric the “I told you so”. In public, at the hearing. He’s lucky she missed her chance to throw him under the bus.

DarthSillyMonkey
07.24.2013 , 08:55 PM | #3589
Because you guys keep writing great stuff, I have once again posted more comments!
Spoiler
"Now you see that Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!" - Dark Helmet

DarthSillyMonkey
07.24.2013 , 10:56 PM | #3590
So, after reading Marissalf's Agent story, I began to think "What would happen if you actually lost one of your companions?". Each one fills a role in your playstyle, even if it's just to go get stuff (I'm looking at you Tanno Vic).

This was born from that thought line.

Prompt: Working Out The Kinks (specifically When has any plan ever worked on the first try? Write about a time your character's efforts met reality and didn't go as perfectly as intended.)
Class: Bounty Hunter (Drokk'it)
Title: The Interview
Words: 3200'ish (I know, I know. I need to learn to write smaller...)
Spoliers: Companion Romance option reveal for Mako. Takes place after the end of Chap.3 BH Storyline

Spoiler
"Now you see that Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!" - Dark Helmet