Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Adwynyth
07.14.2013 , 09:14 AM | #3501
Characters: Swaindrix (BH) and Mako

Prompt: NotLP: Defenses - Sometimes our characters defend what's theirs. Sometimes they defend the things they care about. Sometimes they're asked to defend things they really don't like. Whether in combat or conversation, write about your character's efforts to defend something or someone.

Spoilers: Chapter 1 resolution

Timeline/Planet: Not really relevant. Let's call it Hoth.

Spoiler

Notes:

Spoiler
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

YoshiRaphElan
07.14.2013 , 12:18 PM | #3502
@alaurin, my dad has the same problem...with neckties. He had over a hundred, I'd bet. Of course, he'd fight if you tried to get rid of any. So Bella's doing well.

RatchetGuyClanks
07.14.2013 , 06:20 PM | #3503
As a first, I just want to say that it has been a while since I have written any type of story, so I hope everyone can be helpful and supportive as I'm trying my hand at this writing business once again. I have written up a short story that I hope everyone will enjoy. Constructive criticism is more then welcome!

Title: An Old Blood
Prompt: Catching Up
Spoilers: Major Chapter 1 Bounty Hunter spoilers and possibly several Bounty Hunter companion spoilers.

Spoiler

And, a question, are we allowed to write from any prompt that has been stated on the forum?

Thank you!
-RGC

alaurin
07.14.2013 , 09:04 PM | #3504
Welcome Ratchet!! I enjoyed your story and can understand Burzek's fright at hearing Tarro's voice and having Mako gone from his bed. Nicely done!

I have only been writing here for the past three months myself and have found everyone to be very friendly and helpful!

To answer your question, everyone seems pretty laid back about the prompts so pick a prompt and have at it. The list is here. Bright posts a new prompt every Friday along with a featured Night of the Living Prompt (NotLP) from the list, however, don't feel you need to just use the featured ones.

@Yoshi:
Quote:
@alaurin, my dad has the same problem...with neckties. He had over a hundred, I'd bet. Of course, he'd fight if you tried to get rid of any. So Bella's doing well.
Hehe, Bella gets her love of shoes directly from me.....I had to purge my collection once. It was a sad day indeed!

Striges
07.14.2013 , 09:57 PM | #3505
Incoming Giant Wall o’ Replies:

First off, welcome Frauzet! Spotted you here . I have immense respect for anyone reading and writing in a non-native language. On topic: have Blizz paint yellow stripes on the nightscythe? Heresy! Thorns wouldn’t have a nightscythe anymore!

Second, welcome RachetGuyClanks! We have a new prompt every week and a featured old one, but feel free to write on any prompt that inspires you. Alaurin already posted the prompt archive. So very Mako, organizing the old stuff. Nice little moment.

@ Sthrift: Your trooper’s frustration was palpable. You did a good job of capturing a rare moment of defeat for Havoc squad. As well as that determination to succeed at all costs.

@ Aldwynyth: Broonmark speaks! I loved how he interpreted his new body as clearly defective (only two eyes? How do you see anything?) as well in general turning the human-centric, human-superior Imperial theme on its head. Plus, many giggles. Thank you. I also enjoyed Swaindrix’s piece. He has a point--overwhelming firepower is a viable alternative to the more typical healer-tank setup. But, as Mako mentioned, it does go through the ol’ kolto supplies.

@ YoshiRalphElan: I can so see Corso with an expandable weapons closet. And Aaran, doing the right thing and still getting in trouble. Have to agree with your note.

@ Magdalane: New characters! Very tantalizing. The white cat with blue eyes being deaf reimagined with Cathar is a great idea, as is a deaf Force-user. A great introduction and I look forward to reading more.

@ Everstream: “My insides needed a little bling” nice line. Good follow-up to the previous story.

@ Euphrosyne: The SW love at first sight. And yes, both Vette and Quinn were right. Quinn totally crushed Aly, even if he was right.

@ Marissalf: I liked both POV. Vector’s compassionate curiosity is one of his best qualities, and I think you captured it well.

@ Lesaberisa: I enjoyed all three pieces. “Even the cheap cologne he always wore smelled that much nicer because it was his.” This line stood out for me because it’s so true when love is real. With whatever your love’s otherwise-annoying habit is standing in for cheap cologne.

@ Bright: I always enjoy Colran’s adventures. I was half expecting a joke about former sith apprentices not knowing to come in from the rain. His fish-out-of-water perspective is so refreshing.

@ Selentar: Zairos is deliciously evil, and that is a very evil game.

@ Alaurin: I’m more of a jewelry person, but I understand. Bella waving goodbye to her excess shoes was a nice touch.

Magdalane
07.14.2013 , 10:13 PM | #3506
Prompt: First Impressions, from inside the minds of Miriah and Corso
slight spoilers for very early smuggler ch 1
*and I truly hope you all aren't tired of these two*

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Adwynyth
07.15.2013 , 01:34 AM | #3507
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
@ Aldwynyth: Broonmark speaks! I loved how he interpreted his new body as clearly defective (only two eyes? How do you see anything?) as well in general turning the human-centric, human-superior Imperial theme on its head. Plus, many giggles. Thank you. I also enjoyed Swaindrix’s piece. He has a point--overwhelming firepower is a viable alternative to the more typical healer-tank setup. But, as Mako mentioned, it does go through the ol’ kolto supplies.
Hee hee! Thankee. Just one aspect to my Broonmark's personality I hadn't showcased yet. And now he has "confirmation" for a lot of his assumptions about the superiority of the Talz.

Quote: Originally Posted by Magdalane View Post
Spoiler
SQUEE
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

Striges
07.15.2013 , 06:30 AM | #3508
@ Magdalane: Corso’s first impression of Miriah is so perfect. I can almost see his stunned, deer-in-the-headlights look for “Wow. She’s...beautiful.”.

Story Time!

Prompt: Collections

Character: Sha’ra’zaed (IA), Vector

Title: The Song of the Universe

Referencing events in this story. Occurs after the end of the class story, post The Morning After. No spoilers for a change.

Hitting the prompt at an oblique angle. Thanks to Marissalf and Lesaberisa, whose stories for this prompt inspired mine.

Spoiler

marissalf
07.15.2013 , 08:09 AM | #3509
@ Striges
Awww, I love this story. I was super angry at work this morning, and then I read this and it put the biggest smile on my face. It's a touching gesture from Haraz, and a big step in showing trust, that she finally lets Vector hear her song. And his response … <3

You saved me from throwing at least one stapler today.

kabeone
07.15.2013 , 12:36 PM | #3510
@bright thanks to you and Magdalane I spent the morning trying to figure out if a sonic shower could theoretically have a cold setting. (Inconclusive, but I'm thinking no assuming the concept uses vibration to remove particulates and vibration usually creates heat, and that sent my brain into a whole different track about why you would shower when... nevermind.) Anyway I'm guessing the cold showers of Star Wars are best served by water.
Every time I read about Colran and his carefully hopeful beginnings as a padawan, my heart hurts a little knowing that the Jedi ended up not being what he hoped especially because that hope was already tempered with Imperial cynicism.

@alaurin I like the friendship you have between Bella and Aric and the resolution for that awful quest. Didn't seem like it should be so easy to just get bitten and walk it off. Risha and the shoe collection was very funny. Even though in real life I don't collect shoes at all, I've found in game I can't seem to throw any moddable gear away!

@YoshiRaphElan Poor Jorgan, he's gone through so many changes recently.

@Selentar The background for Lokin fit perfectly, nicely done.

@Adwynyth Oh, I remember the lipstick (nothing can stop their love), I was just trying to figure out a way to say it without uh needing brainbleach .
Some people just can't be tanks, they need to be dps. Oh and I wish! I wish I could hit people with my speeder. Some kind of speeder based combat would be awesome.

@Magdalane The lacy lingerie thing made me grin. The first impression was also very cute and a perfect fit for those two.

@elliotcat Welcome back! Nice intro to those two. There were many former slaves taken to Korriban for training during the SI line, I like the beginning of this alternate story.

@Euphrosyne Nice perspective on that meeting, the hope Aly was feeling but staying realistic and of course exactly what she thought would happen happens but for a different reason. I thought Jaesa's horrified letters were kind of funny after that incident. I also wonder how LS Jaesa would have behaved as a love interest, her darker half is kind of cringeworthy.

@marissalf Kinka and Vector are so sweet together.

@frauzet Welcome! I was grinning through this but this:
Quote:
“Why do you always have to overdo this issue? Could you please stop acting as if we’re married?”

“We are married!” She threw her pillow at him.
startled a laugh out of me. Dye packs are an addiction, matching speeders would take the rest of my money.

@Lesaberisa I love Andronikos and Veresia as friends. The SI ship oddly enough seemed to have the most different assortment of people but I actually find it easier to believe that they got along well more than any other crew.

@RatchetGuyClanks Welcome. Nice story, Tarro Blood is truly one of those infuriating characters.

@Striges I'm glad you went back to the song thing with Sha’ra’zaed and Vector. I was so sad she couldn't share music with him. I love the references how she loves the singular him and the plural him and he also loves the real her and all the other versions of herself that she shows to the rest of the galaxy. Beautiful and sweet.