Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

alaurin
07.01.2013 , 02:32 PM | #3421
Apologies for taking so long to get caught up!

Comments:
Spoiler

Replies:
Spoiler

marissalf
07.01.2013 , 06:03 PM | #3422
Ridiculously behind on comments, but not the reading — I've been enjoying everything! Comments the next time around, I promise.

NotLP: Worst Day Ever
Character: SI Anaelia
Timeline is pre class stories, so no spoilers. It's been ages since I've written anything for this character, so I'm linking to her first entry for reference.
Warning: Non-consensual sexual situation
Spoiler

kabeone
07.01.2013 , 10:20 PM | #3423
Comments!
@alaurin Poor Mallay, she seems to have an unending supply of embarrassing quirks. I love her and Jorgan. The blending of the gift part of the companion line was a nice touch.

@bright Re Ruth: It's hard to imagine truly dark side Ruth. I've only seen a hint of it during and after Corellia then it's referred to later and the aftermath is shown. For some reason makes DS!Ruth kind of terrifying.

Re Ananz: Ananz and Vette eee. Alternate perspectives, *smashes Ananz and Vette's faces together* now keeeees. For Mellekor, he and Jaesa are perfectly awful together. I always feel a bit sorry for DS Jaesa because it really is the work of the SW to completely warp her mind, but she just takes so strongly to the darkness that... just... yuck. Mellekor regretting her but going along with it makes sense in that she's a perfect weapon at his side while remaining someone he doesn't care enough about that she could be used against him emotionally. Still, ick.

Re Vierce: Dear early Vierce, You are a mean meanie that has meanness and is also mean. Dear late Vierce, Thank whatever god or gods you worship that Elara forgave your very cute but very dumb butt. Dear Elara, Never stop being adorable.

@Euphrosyne That conversation between Jaesa and Aly, very sweet. I can imagine someone with a sad childhood like Aly finding it really difficult to explain her past to someone like Jaesa or anyone really.

@Lesaberisa loved the piece with Ayrs and Amurri. BURN IMP SCUM.

@Magdalane You went back to Lucky! So sweet. As to the story with Maura, the gift of Jorgan sounds pretty good to me.

@marissalf I love the sadness in your stories and seeing how Rissia was forced to be horrible to Kinka to protect her.

@Striges Re Kirya: About 14 years ago at one of my first real jobs I heard the boss's wife and the receptionist talking about gifts for kids, "Video games for boys, dolls for girls." I had to run out of the room before I could say something that would get me fired. I had similar reactions while reading about Adoko's attitude. By the end I cheered when the squidling ate all the fish. I loved description of Toothy's lifespan and habits. I'm rather sad her eggs didn't hatch but watching the babies eat Toothy might have been a bit more than Kirya could handle.

Re Varrel: I'm glad you went back to the mushroom! I remember the special mission, I thought the mushroom was for him!

Re Jurial: I can never get enough Jurial philosophy! He's very thoughtful about everything, but it does seem that he could rationalize a lot of things.

Responses to my long ago story:
Scourge would never consider a beast to be anything like him. He would be incapable of seeing the parallel, but he would eye Remi suspiciously over the strays comment and she would make innocent face at him.

I loved all the stories!

bright_ephemera
07.02.2013 , 02:08 PM | #3424
Comments:
@Lesaberisa, Dark-Ayrs is scary yet still sympathetic. Malicineve had me in stitches, so to speak. As for Amitia's mystery...I'll throw in my vote with "please, not Doc."

@Striges, I'm glad you made the title "Bitterness." Fits both sides quite well. As for Jurial, I always love Jurial. Even if these thoughts are going to get him in trouble.

@Magdalane, oh, my gosh, I was giggling as hard as Risha. Poor Corso and his noble sacrifice!

@Yoshi, poor Jorgan...you wonder sometimes what biology surprises aliens will spring on you. At least this explains the nightmare aspect he's been wearing in game lately. Seeing that thing over my shoulder...shudder.

@marissalf, against my usual inclination I clicked past your warning...well executed. Chilling and well written. How awful that she knows, despite his looks, exactly what she's getting into.

Reply:
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Dear late Vierce, Thank whatever god or gods you worship that Elara forgave your very cute but very dumb butt.
Every day.

Actually, multiple times most days.

Actually, every time I look at her.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Morgani
07.03.2013 , 03:33 AM | #3425
I'm trying to get back into the swing of life and while Kabe may shake her fist at me and demand more of the other thing I'm trying to write, I needed to turn to something else for a little while. So, I want to say hello to all the people who joined the thread while I was elsewhere relearning how to live, and I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know your characters.

For those that do remember me, hi again. I know I wasn't missed, but I missed you guys a whole lot.

So I'm introducing someone new before picking up the scattered remains of my other neglected characters. I don't know if that's the best idea but I haven't written for weeks (monthsactuallyIamsopathetic) and this was the first thing to pour out of me with little trouble so I'm going with it.

NotLP: Worst Day Ever
Ada'lell'eshoko, future Imperial Agent. No spoilers.

Spoiler

Editing in a second part, because she won't leave me be. Maybe now I can get some sleep.
NotLP: First Impressions
Ada'lell'eshoko, future Imperial Agent. No spoilers.

Spoiler
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

sthrift
07.03.2013 , 03:42 AM | #3426
OK, I'm working on comments for all the great stuff I'm reading here. Yall are great. I'd like to comment on all and I'll get to some because some of those stories are either touching or get a good laugh out of me, and right now that's something I need.

Anyway, some responses.

Spoiler

Striges
07.03.2013 , 06:44 AM | #3427
Comments:

@ Morgani: Welcome back; you were indeed missed and it’s good to see you back. Ada’lell’eshoko intrigues me; I liked her introduction, and then the meeting with Jadus later *shiver* Great job showing Ada’lell’eshoko desperate from Jadus’ POV, and still managing to make him disturbing from inside his own head. I like the attention to Chiss culture/physiology.

@ Magdalane: Nice interpretation. The gift not being a tangible thing, but good feelings. And then, good feelings to all involved. Very nice.

@ YoshiRalphElan: I haven’t had Jorgan out for a while...now I want to see him. It’s fun coming up with story explanations for in-game glitches.

@ Marissalf: you do a good job capturing the helplessness of a slave in that situation, especially in first person perspective. Romari is a slime, and now I want a shower.

Replies:

@ Magdalane: Aww, now I feel kinda bad . I’m glad you like Varrel. He arranged for Vette to retrieve the mushrooms in A Special Mission. He trusts her, and he trusts her to be discreet, both rare things in his position.

@ Kabeone: the mushrooms were a bit of both; a taste of home as well as something he would get for his pregnant wife if he were on his homeworld. Adoko is meant to be infuriating at that point; he and Kirya will have their big falling-out about ten years from the time of that story. They reconcile much later. The fragment with some of that reconciliation is Ceremonies 2. /sigh, too many stories, too little time.

@ Bright: Most times I go with my working title. This time it fit it just wasn’t good. I’m glad ‘Bitterness’ set up both aspects of the story.

@ Everyone who commented on Jurial: I am glad that people still want to read his musings. He articulates his positions well, but he will find the Jedi don’t agree on a number of issues. I am trying to explore his philosophy from the perspective of someone who doesn’t have all the answers, but at the same time desperately wants them and finds the ones his teachers give him unsatisfactory. We live outside the Star Wars universe, we can read what the creator (Lucas and licensees) say is true about the Force and know it is fact. Jurial lives in Star Wars. He doesn’t have that certainty. He forms his own conclusions based on his observations, experiences, and beliefs, and some of it will be wrong.

Magdalane
07.03.2013 , 08:07 AM | #3428
Morgani, you were indeed missed! Looking forward to your new character's story!
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Lady-Jean
07.03.2013 , 11:39 AM | #3429
@ Morgani: Hi! Nice to meet you. I'm fascinated by your IA's buildup to being an agent. Can't wait to see more of her!
@ Magdalane: Hah, great capture of the craziness that goes on with the smuggler crew.
@ Striges: Oh, your gifts Bitterness was very thoughtful. Now all I can picture is Dromund Kass coated in red.

Maldecka the Kid #12
Abt 2300 words, couple days.
SPOILERS: None, really.

Family - Dealing with a war sucks. It's already complicated enough, but family complicates things even more. Some of our characters' families are different species, or have different alligiances. How do they deal with the complications that family can bring? Suggested by Eanelinea.

Lady-Jean
07.03.2013 , 05:35 PM | #3430
Maldecka the Kid #13
Abt 3200 words, in 3 hours
WARNING: Some seriously tough love. As in I considered not posting it because the whole thing came to mind and got written before I really though about how it might look to gentler folks.

Deadly Sins - Everyone struggles with one of them at some point: wrath, pride, envy, lust, gluttony, greed, and sloth. Sometimes they spur us on to do good things. Other times, they hurt us and others. Write about your characters' struggles with the worst sins of them all.