Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Euphrosyne
06.30.2013 , 02:40 AM | #3411
@bright: Is there, like, some sort of secret to writing evil PoVs? Because you can clearly do it well with fun flower metaphors, and I can't, so.
@Magdalane: I know what it's like to deliberately avoid people on birthdays
@Lady-Jean: So, Zarro's made a huge mistake?
@Yoshi: Powered armor + kids = amazing idea. Could explain why there aren't a whole lot of Mandos around, though...

---

Prompt: Gifts
Title: Butterflies
Character: Alypia
Spoilers: Sith Warrior (Chapter I) (very minor)
Spoiler

Spoiler
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

alaurin
06.30.2013 , 07:35 AM | #3412
Oh, so much reading to catch up on!! Sorry, no comments this time, I will catch up today though! This weekend has been crazy with me trying to get everything ready for vacation in a few days. However, between laundry and packing for me, the hubby, and our kids, not to mention bathing our 95lb dog, who goes with us, I have managed to eek out a story for this weeks' prompt. Luckily, I have had it outlined for a couple of weeks now, so it didn't take too long. Hope you enjoy it! This immediately follows Not All Birthdays Are Happy.

Title: A Happy Birthday At Last
Character: Mallayse-trooper
Setting: Thunderclap
Spoilers: Trooper spoilers up to Hoth, companion spoilers with Jorgan

Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
06.30.2013 , 12:16 PM | #3413
@Magdalane, nice to have a surprise moment at home...extra points if it's after you've gotten to wash off the hard day.

@Lady-Jean, Zarro's panic is palpable. And his helplessness in that moment.

@Euphrosyne, is it incriminating to say that evil POVs come naturally to me? Really it's a matter of working out what they want, just like any character...then remembering that the ethical reflexes that would block my own reasoning/action wouldn't necessarily block theirs.
I like Jaesa and Aly's relationship. And how flustered Aly gets.

@Yoshi, sometimes I think toddlers could use a solid layer of armor...might not get them into any less trouble but it'd hurt less when they fall.

@alaurin, spicy! I'm consitutionally incapable of not-liking Jorgan plus lady Trooper, and it's awesome how he alternately supports and, um, bites, Mallayse. (I hear you on the 'writing out of order' thing. Jumping around Vierce and Elara's timeline nearly gave me an ulcer as I tried to work up the appropriate ire...wait, no, affection...wait, grr, hatred...)
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
06.30.2013 , 08:10 PM | #3414
Paperwork sort of qualifies as Law and Governance as part of a pair of things for Vierce. 200 and 250 words, no spoilers.
Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler

Part 2: About two and a half years later, something like As Time Goes By.
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Lesaberisa
06.30.2013 , 08:44 PM | #3415
Ugh, been so busy with work, writing for my separate topics that I'm way behind. I will add comments shortly.

*Edit* Comments incoming starting from like mid-page 340. Because I'm super lazy

Spoiler

Character: Amurri (BH)
Notes: Features another of my characters

Spoiler

Spoilerish notes:
Spoiler

Character: Malicineve (SW)
Notes: No in-game spoilers

Spoiler

Character: Amitia (JK)
Notes: No in-game spoilers, continued references to older pieces because I enjoy being self-referential

Spoiler
Finest mediocre fanfic this side of the Outer Rim:Trooper / Inquisitor

Striges
06.30.2013 , 10:15 PM | #3416
Incoming Thread Spam, since I'd rather have these things on separate posts.

Comments and Replies:

@Euphrosyne: I liked Aly trying to explain the significance of the butterfly knife to Jaesa, and Jaesa clearly not getting it. Jaesa’s disdain for a simple, sharpened piece of metal as a weapon is so obvious. She must be the only one who makes Aly uncomfortable.

@Alaurin: Ah, Mallay and Aric, there are no secrets on a small spaceship. Especially after the photography incident.

@Bright: The two with Vierce and Elara were really sweet. Nearly the same situation, lightyears apart in feeling. What a difference a couple of years made for those characters.

@ Lesaberisa: I’m sorry. I get terribly attached to my pets, even ones that aren’t affectionate, like snakes, fish, and insects. One of the toughest things about having a pet is knowing, when you get that playful little kitten, that you will outlive it. But I’d still take that time with the pet over the same time without.

In that vein, Malicineve is like the cat who brings home a parade of dead animals and can’t understand why the humans don’t appreciate her gifts. Her mind and Vette’s are just that far apart.

In Amurri’s story, I like how you convey the way a bounty hunter is a middleman, knowing next to nothing about her client and target. At the same time, they obviously have a whole load of history with each other.

And please don’t let it be Doc.

Striges
06.30.2013 , 10:19 PM | #3417

Title: Bitterness

Character: Varrel Umrahiel

Occurs two years post A Special Mission. In chronology, after Spirit Festival. Sort-of spoiler for the Grathan quests on Dromund Kaas, no class spoilers.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

Striges
06.30.2013 , 10:23 PM | #3418

Title: Epiphany

Character: Jurial (Consular)

Occurs after Mea Culpa. Spoilers for Jedi Consular Chapter One story, specifically the interlude quest between Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

Magdalane
07.01.2013 , 08:28 AM | #3419
Everyone is producing such wonderful stories!

Lady-jean, loving your story and following it on its own thread so I don't miss anything.

Bright, love the two POV's. Also, you know I love Vierce/Elara! I can see him reaching for her after their night togehter and being disappointed when she's not there.

Yoshi, I would think the parents need armor more, but then again Dha has his!

Euphrosyne, Aly's difficulty was very well done! I feel for her, but she seemed to work it out in the end.

Alaurin, loved Mallay's happy birthday! Also, I can imagine that bite marks from a Cathar might be a little difficult to hide

Lesaberisa, your Ayrs/Amurri story was haunting, well written! Love the awkwardness of Mali's gift giving. I never thought of Sith having social deficits but it makes perfect sense! Also, Amita's love of creme filled chocolate eggs would make her Miriah's best friend.

Striges, I almost hate to post after your stories. Your Varrel is always so well done, and has so many layers of meaning. I find it interesting that Vette brought the specimen.

Now, another Gift story
Miriah and crew, no spoilers

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

YoshiRaphElan
07.01.2013 , 12:45 PM | #3420
Prompt - Health
Title - Sick Day
Class - Trooper
Trooper endgame spoilers

Spoiler

Spoiler