Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

irishfino
05.20.2013 , 10:19 AM | #3221
Prompt: Cross My Heart
Character: Ucles

Life, Love, Loss
Spoiler
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Tatile
05.20.2013 , 12:04 PM | #3222
Oh, Irish, ow

Lesaberisa
05.20.2013 , 12:50 PM | #3223
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Oh, Irish, ow
This, so much.

Character: Ayrs Martell (trooper, but no spoilers)
Prompt: What if?
Premise: What if Ayrs didn't join the military?

I might spin this off into an AU, but I haven't decided (still working on getting my Inquisitor stuff ready).

Warning: Violence. minor gore, long

Spoiler

And on a happier Ayrs note

Prompt: Affection
Minor trooper spoilers, set on Alderaan (but during Act 2, pre-relationship. Barely before it, though.)

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
05.20.2013 , 02:34 PM | #3224
@Striges The Trooper is definitely written on a different moral axis from the Jedi/Sith/classic Star Warsy classes. Trooper DS/LS lines up much more with the hard decisions human beings have to make and live with, especially highlighting the times when the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one, and you don't get mystical powers to guide your weapon or show you an unexpectedly clean way to victory. One might call the Trooper's different moral plane a weakness or inconsistency in the game universe, but I would call it one of the class's strengths - it definitely offers unique tests.

@irishfino, Geltie's litany of the steps to take to stay safe is heartbreaking. Because in the end, none of it really keeps you safe.

@Lesaberisa, you did a great job with the jarring thoughts of a person in shock about what he's just lost or can't stand to think he's just lost. (Thanks for the violence tag, by the by.) Vivid relationships drawn on a compact canvas - I really liked this. Then moving on to a crush on Elara was a comforting follow-on image.

Now some notes on Wynston's background material to date:

Myths and Legends, Wynston as a child hears a story
What If? AU, Wynston runs into his sister Calline (Callinel) just before the class line starts
Wynston in the Lodestone AU expands a little on his childhood (the conversation setting is alt-U, but all background information there is canon truth from a certain point of view)
Wynston in the Lodestone AU touches on the end of his relationship with Nyss (his love for Ruth is alt-U, but the paragraph on Nyss and the stated relationship with alcohol are canon truth from a certain point of view)

And, finally, Culture Shock with Wynston, fifteen years before the class line (spanning the accelerated Chiss adolescence of, for him, age 10-11). No spoilers. 300 words.
Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

YoshiRaphElan
05.20.2013 , 08:47 PM | #3225
Prompt - Seven Virtues
Title - Justice
Class - Jedi Knight
Minor spoilers

Spoiler

Spoiler

marissalf
05.20.2013 , 09:08 PM | #3226
Replies!
Spoiler

Comments!
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
05.22.2013 , 08:01 AM | #3227
A less doomful Family for Vierce. No game spoilers. 1600 words.

Chronology:

Story:
Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Magdalane
05.22.2013 , 10:01 AM | #3228
Prompt: Cross My Heart
Miriah and Magdalane
No spoilers, set in the timeline right after Magdalane gave Corso some love advice

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Lesaberisa
05.22.2013 , 11:18 AM | #3229
@ Bright. Needs a warning on that since I was smiling and melting into a puddle of goo in my cubicle, which is problematic if someone walks by. I'd also agree with your analysis re: Elara,

Spoiler

Character: Veresia (inquisitor)
Prompt: Changes/New Paths
Note: Minor SI spoilers

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

Character; Malicineve (SW)
Prompt: First Impressions? Changing Impressions might be more accurate though
Notes/Trigger: As mentioned in my previous Malicineve short, she's kind of crazy and evil, so there's some unpleasantness to what she does. Also, minor SW spoilers.

Spoiler

Character: Amitia (JK)
Prompt: To Market, to Market
Notes: This story isn’t an author insert at all. Not at all, I swear. I'll get around to giving Amitia actual adventures at some point, too, since she's "me" (with force powers and weirder friends).

Spoiler

Character: Ayrs(Trooper)
Prompt: I Love This Bar/Affection

Spoiler

Notes/Chronology: (Minor trooper spoilers)
Spoiler

irishfino
05.22.2013 , 11:28 AM | #3230
Replies!
Spoiler

Story Time!

NotLP: Health, Life and Death
Characters: Geltie, Ucles, and Talos

Blind
Spoiler

Notes:

Spoiler
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!