Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kabeone
04.20.2013 , 05:27 PM | #3081
Membership
306 words
Spoilers for Pub-side Corellia planetary quest line, starring no one in particular. (I made up the names except Marr and Decimus)

Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler

The chrono index is up to date as is the prompt archive.

Comments:

@Lesaberisa Nice introduction I particularly like this line:
Quote:
and the leader of fearless individuals who sought to liberate their fellow cadets from the tyranny of upperclassmen, the Code of Conduct, and the terror of Chef Rupert McKenzie’s cooking in Mess Hall Four.
@Euphrosyne Welcome to the thread. I enjoyed this perspective of how the Hero character would be perceived by the "normal" troops. A few of the NPCs on Balmorra talk about it (J-squad) I enjoyed your take.

@Magdalane I love fluff! I can always use more Miriah fluff!

Devin is ADORABLE. So cute.
Quote:
Ugh! All the kissing!
ahahahaha.

@marissalf Ow Marissalf OWWWWW OW OOOOWWWWWWWWW. Also, I need more than that. readtheletterreadtheletterreadtheletter. Please? (I loved it.)

@YoshiRaphElan I liked the Guilty Pleasure bit and I can see Jorgan appreciating all kinds of beautiful things. Corso and Mon Cal opera would be a surprise, then you could pull Gus in for extra hilarity. Also, Vector has terrible taste in music according to Dr. Lokin (Dr. Lokin plans to force him to go to the Kaas City Opera when they have time).

For Gareb and Nadia... they might be waiting a while for that wedding.

@bright_ephemera Love Vette in the Ananz/Mellekor universe. I find Ananz's interest in Vette utterly charming. Two fairly able killers (Vette's dps is off the charts when I gear her) and they're just in this shy adorable 'exchanging arguably meaningful looks' relationship. (love that phrase by the way) <3 I do wonder at what Mellekor will say when he discovers someone else may have made a target of Vette. After all, his reticence and cover was to keep her out of danger and a member of the Dark Council might be drawing her back in. Also, Andronikos is so great here. I need more Andronikos in every story ever.

Quote:
"Given the average replacement rate you'll probably have seniority over most of 'em by next month," Vette said cheerfully. "Just try not to die."

He smiled at her. "That's the backbone of most of my plans."
So true of the council. They should install a revolving door. You inspired my short piece above by the way.

Lesaberisa
04.20.2013 , 06:29 PM | #3082
Prompt - Children (with some parenthood, hybrid response!)
Class - Trooper
No real game spoilers. Since it's set in the future, it technically spoils Ayrs' story specifically but it's not exactly anything earth-shattering.

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
04.20.2013 , 08:06 PM | #3083
marissalf, Quinn dying of heart disease is just...cold. Fitting.

Yoshi, I agree with your assessment of the companions who would be prone to such a vice. Gareb had a very informative shaving session, but not in an obnoxious infodump sort of way.

kabe, now that you mention it I can see this kind of paperwork headache. Really, how is anybody supposed to keep track of who's Grand Poobah of what at any given time? I think the operating budget of any major Sith has to include some share for loudly announcing their victories and titles...then it's just a matter of whether anybody cares enough to listen. (Also, Darth Sarcasm = best name. 'Mordant' has a great sound to it even independent of its meaning.)

Magdalane, I can see Corso leading his child through all sorts of bad ideas, knowing that he loves 'em and will step in should anything go wrong and that means it's totally reasonable to get to fire Torchy. I can also see any mother in her right mind flipping out over this.

Lesaberisa, the spot-on demands had me giggling almost as hard as the omnipresent Forex - and the explanation for the existence of such merchandise. Fantastic piece.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

YoshiRaphElan
04.20.2013 , 09:02 PM | #3084
Thanks; my own shaving sessions are very...boring. I hardly even think while I'm shaving. My character's session should be more introspective than mine.

BTW, I'm on vacation this week (laptop is with me so I may be able to sporadically post shorts), but when I get back I will try to get screenshots in here so you guys can see who I'm describing.

(Sidenote: Dha's screenie may take awhile. I had created him and had him up to Balmorra, but he was an Imperial-side Zabrak so when I decided he was Prudii's brother I deleted him so I could make him a Republic-side Zabrak to match his brother. Unfortunately since I have been busy with my other characters besides Prudii, I have not yet unlocked the Rep-Zabrak species, and so Dha will have to wait until I either finish Prudii or else decide to pay Cartel coins for the Zabrak species because I get too impatient.) So expect pics of everyone except Dha in a week or so from now.

Adwynyth
04.21.2013 , 06:10 AM | #3085
Title: Perception
Prompt: ???
Characters: Nyrriana (sniper) and Kaliyo
Spoilers: Minor Ch1

Just something rattling around in my head for a while. Not sure this fits any of the recent prompts, but I haven't written in forever, and I wanted to let this out before it poked a hole in my skull from all that rattling.

NOTE: Lots of possibly non-canon speculation about Miraluka Force sight. Just enjoy and consider it to be in an alternate universe if it offends or contradicts.

Spoiler
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

bright_ephemera
04.21.2013 , 07:30 AM | #3086
Long time no see, Adwynyth! I think I'll file your story under Xenobiology when I index it

I think you've just convinced me that Miraluka can not only be snipers, they might well be superior snipers with this reading of their Force ability. I like it. Also,
Quote: Originally Posted by Adwynyth View Post
her distress at this revelation obvious in the bright streak of urgency that galloped across her Force signature.
I love this description.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

marissalf
04.21.2013 , 09:41 AM | #3087
@kabeone Glad ya liked it! I originally had the letter in there, but it was getting a bit long (and I wasn't entirely happy with it yet), so I split it up. That being said...

Now for a little Sunday morning angst. Since it’s a followup to my Family story, I’ll just make this Family (part 2).
With Kinka and Quinn. Spoilers for the SW story.

Spoiler

Tatile
04.21.2013 , 10:24 AM | #3088
I am so far behind on replies I'm not even going to attempt to do individual things because I know I'll miss someone and they'll get sad, so I'll just say I really have been reading and enjoying even if I haven't been posting <3

Best thread ever.

Food
Rochester and Jaci

Note: Just as a reminder, Rochester has literally no presence in the Force, meaning no "little twinkle" of a living thing. Also this took forever because a) I'm lazy and terrible and b) I was playing Makeb ._.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
04.21.2013 , 11:25 AM | #3089
Quote: Originally Posted by marissalf View Post
Spoiler
D;

Quote: Originally Posted by marissalf View Post
Spoiler
Direct. Simple. Loving. Ow. This whole piece was very well executed.

Tatile, I love all the details and that Rochester is going through such an uncomfortable ordeal to get them. Even around what should be such a happy occasion there's so much secrecy - and so much difficulty linked to the things they can't hide, such as Rochester's visible cybernetics and his attention-grabbing accent.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

kabeone
04.21.2013 , 12:02 PM | #3090
@Lesaberisa I love it! Fourex merchandizing!

@Adwynyth I love the aura description especially the translation of 'staring dumbly' as 'the complete freeze and bright, 'jangly' look of her aura,' and the ending was perfect. Kaliyo would much rather kill people than worry about Xenobiology.

@marissalf Beautifully done! His words to her might be important later considering the various thing an agent has to go up against. I love the part about cruelty from her professional life seeping into her personal one. It would be incredibly difficult to keep them separate forever.

@Tatile
The detail of the ceremonial stuff was exquisite and I laughed at this
Quote:
He might have been out of uniform, but the man still had the straight-backed, oppress everything look about him.
Then cringed at the rest. Every culture has its prejudice, poor Rochester. (A little funny how Jaci misinterpreted Rochester's anger though)