Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Magdalane
03.20.2013 , 08:52 AM | #2941
To Market, To Market

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

bright_ephemera
03.20.2013 , 12:14 PM | #2942
@Magdalane, I'm fully on Miriah's side for this one. Chocolate is serious business.

@Striges,
Quote:
“You remember fun, don’t you? Before you had it surgically removed in Empire School?”
The quintessential Vette-to-Quinn sentiment.
Quote:
Good thing she hadn’t thrown in with him instead. Rixik was fun and all but he wasn’t good for much else. He wasn’t even good for making Korjonos jealous. The agent either didn’t know or didn’t care what she’d been doing.
Kaliyo-world problems. Also, hon, Rixik could give you a run for your money and then some if he felt like it. The collateral damage would be mind-boggling.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Tatile
03.20.2013 , 12:58 PM | #2943
Magdalane, that was glorious. The threat of violence over something so essential to life *cries a single tear*

bright_ephemera
03.20.2013 , 08:54 PM | #2944
Vierce, Discoveries. I'm not 100% happy with it but I need it to move forward. This is set in Act 2, during or very shortly after Quesh in the game timeline. 600 words, no game spoilers.
Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

kabeone
03.20.2013 , 09:16 PM | #2945
Prompt: To Market, to Market
Imperial Agent Rook's Universe
Spoilers for IA Hutta missions (but not really I just used a line of conversation from a cut-scene)
Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

And Comments!

@Tatile Interesting to see how corrupted Jothar had gotten. I liked the line "I already am winning, Jedi, you just can't see it."

@Striges Kirya and customs story was awesome, I had to sketch it, I'm glad you didn't mind.

The piece with Kaliyo was nice too, I loved how she messed up Kojornos's bed out of sheer spite.

@Ves Poor Tessa! Bastard-Quinn is a bastard. "Do whatever it takes." Yuuuck.

@Magdalane Ahh, Miriah, a girl after my own heart. I'm glad she won, though a hunt for the one who outbid her would have been hilarious.

@bright Vierce is such a dork when he's trying to go against his instincts. I'm always happy to see non-miserable Vierce, even if it means he has to be extremely uncomfortable.

I also approve of covert armor for Wynston. Cerulean contours.

Quote:
Elara Dorne is an attractive woman.

I don't have the words to describe my horror the day I realized that.
Quote:
The gold dust on her eyelashes was back, or I'd started seeing it again, and even her quoting rules all the time was somehow kind of cute.

This was terrible.
Oh Vierce, I just want to put you in my pocket.

I liked your quote and I've always gone by the adage that the opposite of love is really not hate, but indifference.

Tatile
03.21.2013 , 05:23 AM | #2946
Kabe: Kaliyo as the grizzled, retired and cynical veteran who'd rather be doing anything but this? It's possible you've started to make a likeable Kaliyo. And you Agent sounds just adorable in his outfit <3

Bright: I remember reading once that the opposite of love should not be hate, but rather apathy, which I thought was a rather interesting way of looking at it. Love and hate from other people tend to incite us, but apathy has a way of making us feel impotent (at least, that's what I think), so... yeah. It would be nice to see what Elara thinks about Vierce during this time period.

Striges
03.21.2013 , 06:40 AM | #2947
@ Magdalane: What to do with all the chocolate? Eat it of course! Although I suppose some allowance can be made for recreational purposes. You made me smile at the reveal.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
@Striges, Kaliyo-world problems. Also, hon, Rixik could give you a run for your money and then some if he felt like it. The collateral damage would be mind-boggling.
After exploring the whole fling idea, I had a crazy notion to make an AU with Rixik as an Agent through a convoluted though maybe plausible series of events. I'm not sure the galaxy would survive.

Vierce is so sweet. A good guy. He can can go from detesting someone every time she speaks to grudging respect and then to outright infatuation. And he realizes that all of those emotions (sparing only the respect part) are completely inappropriate for their working relationship. It's a testament to his character. Not in the fictional character sense.

As far as the love-hate thing, I don't think they're polar opposites (emotions rarely are) more at different spots on the continuum. When you love someone, you might recognize their flaws but it doesn't matter, there's more wonderful things. Hence "Love is Blind". For hatred, though, all their flaws are what make them hateable. If love is blind, hatred is as well, putting a person under a microscope and seeing nothing but the flaws. Blind but to different things. I think that transition is what makes me like your Vierce so much.

Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
The man's 'disguise,' costume to be more precise, was painstakingly put together to scream 'Interstellar Privateer.' [edit] It was a Kaas City desk jockey's fantasy of what the denizens of the lawless part of the outer rim looked like. A look straight from the cover of a cheesy holo-novel, topped off by a brand new eye patch, because all pirates wore eye patches, of course.
Granted, I liked the whole piece but this was great. Perceptions vs. Reality. I love the idea that a costume, however well-researched, wouldn't fool a native of the culture (or time period, or whatever) for a second.

You're making me like your Kaliyo. Stop that.

bright_ephemera
03.21.2013 , 08:34 AM | #2948
The man's 'disguise,' costume to be more precise, was painstakingly put together to scream 'Interstellar Privateer.' The outfit was new, unstained by fighting or use, and fit well, too well, as if the entire set were tailor made. It was a Kaas City desk jockey's fantasy of what the denizens of the lawless part of the outer rim looked like. A look straight from the cover of a cheesy holo-novel, topped off by a brand new eye patch, because all pirates wore eye patches, of course.
Agreed with Striges, this was a fantastic passage. This whole concept has me hopping with excitement.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Kaliyo as the grizzled, retired and cynical veteran
Nobody does grizzled like Rattataki.

I also approve of covert armor for Wynston. Cerulean contours.
Yep. The cerulean contours of Wynston's lithe but powerful body are pretty much public property anyway.

Vierce, I swear I'll get around to arranging nice things for you. Honest. You're not gonna spend the rest of your life in the wringer, not even the social-jitters wringer. You may, however, have an extended stay there.
Bright's Fanfic Threads

YoshiRaphElan
03.21.2013 , 02:32 PM | #2949
Am I too late to get in the Cartel Market business? I hope not. (Also, I think this may be my first post ever in this thread!

Class: Smuggler/Bounty Hunter

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
03.21.2013 , 05:38 PM | #2950
Alternate Perspectives, occurring probably in parallel with Vierce's Discoveries entry. I think this is the only non-Vierce-or-Kirsk POV piece I've done in the canon Vierce!verse, apart from the coda to the big Enemies talk on Balmorra. 1150 words, minor spoilers for Dorne's Act 1 and 2 personal quests.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads