Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
03.17.2013 , 04:39 PM | #2921
Life and Death
1,816 words
Lord Broan Naught, Lt. Rochester Windthorpe and brief cameo of my "totally a Pub" Trooper, Sergeant Zdinne O'Hara. (I ship her with Lord Stion'n, even though she's only level 4. She's a Pub in-game, but the actual character would be a Balmorran who joined the Empire because yes.)

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
03.17.2013 , 07:13 PM | #2922
@Tatile,
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
"I am Lord Naught, I lived and I will continue to do so." There was no alternative. For Jedi there was the Force, for Sith eternity and for Lord Naught... a question that kept him awake at night.
In a story full of both exciting action and really good interwoven thoughts, this passage jumped out at me above all. Wonderful.

@Milani More Alli! Withdrawal always sounds terribly, terribly harsh. I like the details in the way you walked through the first steps of the day with it.

@Striges *shudder* Gizkas. I hate gizkas. But, hey, the next job can't be as bad, right?
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Striges
03.17.2013 , 07:17 PM | #2923
Prompt: To Market, To Market

Characters: Kirya Bilali, smuggler

Title: Why I Hate Customs

Ah, Kabe, now you’ve gone and put ideas in my head No spoilers. I so need to catch up on replies.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

Tatile
03.18.2013 , 05:28 AM | #2924
Striges - Poor Kirya, that is going to be a very awkward 48 hours. I can't say she doesn't deserve it, of course, preemptive karma and all that

Also, Bright, thank you ^.^ I'm terrible at writing fight scenes, so I try not to have them when I can help it. That short also came out a lot longer than I expected, but I'm glad someone was able to get to the end and enjoy doing so.

Vesaniae
03.18.2013 , 08:45 AM | #2925
Quote: Originally Posted by MilaniGrey View Post
Oh.
My.
God.

I MADE IT AGAIN. *prances around*

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
The snickering. It won't stop.

I sympathize very much with Tessa.
Tessa's impressions of Quinn are in no way based upon my own opinion of him. In no way. Totally. For reals.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Vesaniae - The air of noble tragedy strikes again. And it's not all bad being attracted to older men, those ones tend to have a greater chance of having their priorities straight (unless they're single for a reason.)
That air of noble tragedy, it’s everywhere. As for the second point, um…I call author bias on this one. For reasons from both real life and knowledge of what happens later in the story. But you make a good point, and I hadn’t even considered that not everyone would be all “nineteen year age difference? Squick!” I usually try to take the possibilities of alternate interpretations into account when I write for an audience, so thanks for pointing that out. ^.^

Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
@Ves I nominate Tessa as most adorable Sith. Also, I saw what you did there.
Tessa is indeed adorable. In fact, she is so adorable that I have actually managed to play her as almost fully LS. *looks at character screen; sees lawful evil Warrior, Inquisitor who doesn’t give a damn, mostly fallen Knight, Agent working for the evil people* And I have no idea why a light side character is a big deal for me. No idea at all!

As a general note, these stories with Tessa are occurring in chronological order. I'll probably bounce around a bit in the timeline once I start doing things with some of the other characters in her universe; I'll do my best to keep everything clear. In fact, someday I might even make some kind of handy post or diagram so people can keep track of my plethora of universes, because I have this feeling that things get confusing when most of my different universes are, unlike other people's, subtle variations on the actions of same set of characters. I will do this. SoonTM.

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge: For when you're too lazy to make your own thread. Also, less pressure to update, less need to have a strictly linear timeline, etc, etc...
Serence Legacy Ebon Hawk
There's always lightning.

bright_ephemera
03.18.2013 , 04:29 PM | #2926
So I realized that, in all the data I track to keep the thread indexed, I never actually made a note of word count. I went back at tallied that up today.

In our 841 stories to date we have 756,215 words, which is quantitatively equivalent to this here stack of books:

(to be fair, that edition of Brave New World has enormous text with generous margins. It's good for looking dramatic, even if it is only 64k words.)

Three quarters of a million words, people. That's within 42k of the King James Bible. It would get us through Harry Potter's first five years and a sixth of the way through his sixth. It would stack as high as the Lord of the Rings trilogy plus the Silmarillion and The Hobbit, with The Martian Chronicles or The Color Purple on the side. Now you know!

...so keep it coming!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Tatile
03.18.2013 , 04:37 PM | #2927
Yay, we are a toilet library

Striges
03.18.2013 , 08:19 PM | #2928
So late with feedback. Many, many apologies for tardiness and incoming wall of replies.

@ Tatile: So that’s where the setup was headed. I’m glad you didn’t scrap it. It’s nice to see Broan using his influence as a Sith to do something for Rochester, especially this early in their relationship. It’s something that echoes throughout their stories.

The idea that Broan was more concerned with the destruction of the library than the loss of life (Jothar’s included) came through. Especially when he realized he the only way to extract his people was through the window. It seemed like such a painful decision for him. And pondering Jothar later, trying to understand that irrational hatred. Something that you’d expect would be easy for Sith to comprehend, yet he doesn’t. I liked it very much, the action moved very well.

@ Everstream: I did find this a bit hard to follow at first. That said, the juxtaposition of the earlier memory with the later events was striking. From powerless to power-behind-the-scenes cipher. And head games with Kaliyo, ouch.

@ Kabeone: That is a fantastic idea and explains so much.

@ Bright: The “alternate perspectives” piece made me think of love letters, or a diary maybe, even though they weren’t really. Maybe it was getting into each character’s head so thoroughly, seeing thoughts that are meant to be private. Wynston’s in particular was like something he might write out on hearing about Ruth’s marriage, then erase unsent.

“Music” was lovely. Illuminating for the AU piece with Ruth. Colan is so outside looking in, like the proverbial waif at the window, seeing a world he can’t quite be a part of.

@ Vesaniae: Tessa’s crush is adorable. I also didn’t get the “cavernous age difference=icky” feeling, but maybe that’s because Tessa has only a passing concern about it. I think it explains Quinn’s in-game hesitation with the relationship pretty well. I imagine he might think it was inappropriate at best.

@ Selentar: The companion voices were so distinct and clear (SCORPIO scares me).

@MilaniGrey: I presume that Alli’s unnamed benefactor is a Republic-side questgiver? I liked the little cameo if so. I’d love to see more of her story.

As for Glorious Stats: Wow! For the record, I think the small typeface and margins in that printing of The Hobbit more than makes up for any publisher’s bloat in Brave New World.

That’s a whole lot of fiction.

Vesaniae
03.18.2013 , 08:53 PM | #2929
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
@ Vesaniae: Tessa’s crush is adorable. I also didn’t get the “cavernous age difference=icky” feeling, but maybe that’s because Tessa has only a passing concern about it. I think it explains Quinn’s in-game hesitation with the relationship pretty well. I imagine he might think it was inappropriate at best.
Yes, I would imagine that Quinn would be more than happy to add "nineteen year age difference" to his doubtless towering list of reasons in regards to why a relationship with the Warrior is a bad idea. Quinn's thoughts on Tessa will be explored in this piece, actually.

NotLP - Backfired Plans. Set just after the start of SW ch 3. Spoilers for the beginning of ch 3, as well as Quinn's employment. Also, I feel that this warrants a trigger warning from some serious psychological manipulation.

Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler
Serence Legacy Ebon Hawk
There's always lightning.

bright_ephemera
03.18.2013 , 09:09 PM | #2930
O.O Ves. This is the most fantastic disgusting thing I have read in...a very long time. Love the reading, love how you work in the details of the voice acting - that croaked "No" - love that, for all its horribleness, it makes sense.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Did I mention you hit "disgusting" really well? Because you did.

You've always said you could totally write a non-sympathetic Quinn if you wanted to. I believe you've hit the mark.
Bright's Fanfic Threads