Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Morgani
02.11.2013 , 08:31 AM | #2711
I love everything about Vierce and Elara. Especially their kisses. Hawt.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

bright_ephemera
02.11.2013 , 08:56 AM | #2712
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post
I love everything about Vierce and Elara. Especially their kisses. Hawt.
^.^ Implications of the AU notwithstanding. I really like having those two alive.

It has occurred to me in the past that makeouts are going to get really, really difficult to keep at all varied if I insist on letting all bajillion of my characters have love lives. I've thought of a few possible solutions for the problem of dealing with what will inevitably become monotonous kissing due to the limits of my originality:

1. Outlaw love everywhere and for all time.
  2. Okay, outlaw carnal love. Courtly is okay. I'm not wholly unreasonable.
  3. Fade to black immediately after significant looks. This can occur as early in the relationship as necessary to avoid having to come up with new ways of expressing attraction.
  4. Start stockpiling romance novels and just ripping scenes off wholesale. It's...an homage. Yes.
  5. Kill off all but two of my characters. Then make those two celibate, just to be safe. (Congratulations, Rho, the virtuous really will inherit the galaxy!)
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Morgani
02.11.2013 , 09:41 AM | #2713
It's not just about the kiss. It's mostly about who is participating in the kiss and their personalities. I love when Vierce inner-monolouges about Elara's uprightness but she bites him and it drives him wild. Because I can totally see Elara being that kind of kisser. I see Vector as a patient thorough kisser and would describe it that way if I was comfortable sharing more detailed scenes like that. Ipha and Aric haven't kissed yet but when they do it will be different than Brei/Vector because of the personalities involved.

So no need for celebacy! It's all about who is kissing who.

Sorry if there's any terrible or confusing typos. I'm posting on my Kindle next to a four year who insists on climbing all over me. Love my family.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Striges
02.11.2013 , 10:09 AM | #2714
Can I like the cavescape for real, kissing or no? I'm no spelunker but I still think caves are cool, especially when they look like the interior of geodes.

bright_ephemera
02.11.2013 , 10:40 AM | #2715
Morgani...the attempt to step into the headspace of kissing as a character who once spent two hours savoring every imaginable aspect of a ration bar is just whoa. Articulating every last detail in six senses like it's the first time, and yet, thanks to the memories of the nest, like you've always known...um, where was I? Apart from being suddenly interested in overcoming my aversion to the canon femAgent [Flirt]s? (Brei'yu "Don't call me Agent" Kodrevas had a much better leadup.) Right, the personalities matter, and the urgency of and leadup to the situation, and also, very much, the attention and sensory priorities of the characters involved. What Solomon Crae would be watching and feeling and internally commenting on would be way, way different than what, say, Doc would. ( <3 Crae, by the way, Hoyden; he was the first character who came to mind as having a distinctive and unexpected thought process.) In conclusion, pairings are awesome. Which is probably why everything I do turns into a love story, whether I planned it that way or not.

Striges, I personally feel that any situation in which there are multiple tons of rocks directly over my head is an irredeemably bad situation, but I appreciate the beauty of cave photography. As enjoyed safely indoors in my building-inspector-approved house. When I look around the landscape on Belsavis, I can only imagine that the cave systems that aren't nine hundred degrees Fahrenheit must have some exquisite formations. I bet the 900-degree ones do, too, but there are probably cooler caves where crystals have had the chance to form.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Striges
02.11.2013 , 10:45 AM | #2716
Prompt: Climate

Character: Jurial (JC)

Drabble Time! Not even 140 words for a change. No spoilers.

Spoiler

Striges
02.11.2013 , 11:01 AM | #2717
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Striges, I personally feel that any situation in which there are multiple tons of rocks directly over my head is an irredeemably bad situation, but I appreciate the beauty of cave photography. As enjoyed safely indoors in my building-inspector-approved house. When I look around the landscape on Belsavis, I can only imagine that the cave systems that aren't nine hundred degrees Fahrenheit must have some exquisite formations. I bet the 900-degree ones do, too, but there are probably cooler caves where crystals have had the chance to form.
Like these?

I've been on a couple "show-cave" tours, and I can honestly say the thought of being crushed to death never entered my mind. The environment is so alien--it felt like the closest I would get to going to the moon or visiting another planet while still being on Earth.

But then, I had a nice concrete path to follow with lights and handrails. And a tour guide. No getting lost, having the lights go out, or wandering into poisonous atmosphere. Or any of the other horrible things that can happen to you when you're actually exploring a cave.

Morgani
02.11.2013 , 11:42 AM | #2718
Bright, I completely agree that Fem!Agent's flirts are the most obnoxious, two-by-four over the head, in your face Flirts and it's a complete shame because Vector is so nuanced and poignant. For an Imperial Agent who switches identities, accents, and even sexual preferences (at least in my head canon *cough* Adris you rake *cough*) at the drop of the hat, you would think she would appreciate subtlety a little more. And sure, Vector might need a little blatent encouragement in the beginning, but it just never seems to get better. Which is why I went and rewrote it to my liking! "Don't Call Me Agent" is one of my favorite fics because Vector is literally right there on Jorgan's butt as my favorite romance. And it has nothing to do with how the Fem!Agent handles it.

Now you have me thinking about a first kiss with Vector and I'm wishing I could go back to his and Brei'yu's first, and share all the finer details. Because... Vector.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Tatile
02.11.2013 , 12:34 PM | #2719
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
Prompt: Climate

Character: Jurial (JC)

Drabble Time! Not even 140 words for a change. No spoilers.
Oh, how fantastic Technology is such a wonderful thing and we forget it so easily. A stark reminder of how artificial life is on Coruscant.

Edit:

Climate
Rochester

Spoiler

Because if Imperials are English, the weather must be as well.

bright_ephemera
02.11.2013 , 03:24 PM | #2720
Ahaha, Tatile, I can totally see unfortunate residents of Dromund Kaas chasing their umbrellas when the wind is feeling ornery.

And Striges, I was hoping somebody better-informed than I would play with indoor weather conditions. I was always fascinated by the claim that the Vehicle Assembly Building at Kennedy Space Center (the one that accommodates the space shuttle plus boosters all in standing-upright configuration) has indoor weather effects if they don't carefully manage the place. (Also, the Nat Geo photos of that cave were stunning when they were first released and they're stunning now. Wow.)

In the spirit of drabbles...well, this is more landscape than Climate but I'll blame it on a desert theme. Smuggler Nic's diary, no spoilers. 170 words.

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!